Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or what do you hope GM will come out with next as a BEV 250-300 mile range?

I think the market is ready for a minivan for family use and a high-end sports car like a Corvette to go up against the Tesla Model S.

It's going to be very interesting to watch the evolution and transition from ICE to EV. I also think commercial vehicles are going to jump on board in the next couple of years, like buses and delivery trucks.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I assume the electric vehicle onslaught they announced will all be hybrids, think a hybrid minivan, hybrid 4x4, etc. Makes a lot of sense, depending on the design they'll have more zip and the gas milage will skyrocket, and otherwise should be the same as their pure electrical counterparts. Doubtful they'll have a bunch of BEV's/all electrics as to do that with range it would basically have to be another Bolt.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Hopefully an option for a smaller battery, perhaps 150 mile range to compete with the Leaf. From there I would like to see more advanced safety options, such as automatic braking and driver assist. DCFC should probably be made standard.

It would be good to see a hybrid pickup truck. Seems the perfect application for a hybrid as the only reason the engine has to be so big is to get it up to speed and to climb a grade. Downsizing the engine and putting a powerful electric motor and decent sized battery could save a lot of fuel. Half-ton pickups should be getting 25 MPG by now.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
My guess: Buick version of the Bolt EV for BEV and on the Plug-in side, a Voltec Equinox ... Please, I hope I'm right on that last one!

·
Registered
739 Posts
perhaps 150 mile range to compete with the Leaf.
The price of such a leaf competitor would have to be pretty low, otherwise the Bolt would win out every time. I hope its not a hybrid range that GM is going to do. Its so yesterday now. I expect a gradual expansion of the all-electric range into the family sedan, longer range versions of the Bolt, a small EV SUV, or a minivan EV would be great if it could tow 3000 lbs. Its likely hybrids will be reserved for vehicles that need a lot of power. Batteries can supply the power but at the expense of range. So, yes small trucks, larger SUVs, and so on, although I have no interest in any of these things but for low end towing.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I assume the electric vehicle onslaught they announced will all be hybrids, think a hybrid minivan, hybrid 4x4, etc. Makes a lot of sense, depending on the design they'll have more zip and the gas milage will skyrocket, and otherwise should be the same as their pure electrical counterparts. Doubtful they'll have a bunch of BEV's/all electrics as to do that with range it would basically have to be another Bolt.
Future GM vehicles likely include more hybrids/Voltec, but the recent announcement about 20 new EVs in the next 5 years was specifically about ZEVs (mostly BEVs with 1 or 2 fuel cells)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Could Tesla's electric semi truck start production in 2018? https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/13/16633564/tesla-truck-event-2017-electric-semi-self-driving.

This seems pretty likely since Tesla already has the fast DC charge infrastructure ready to charge these big power plants and the fuel savings alone will revolutionize the trucking industry.

I am guessing (no facts to support) that electric semi tractor functionality will be achieved by "exchanging" your battery-depleted tractor with a fully-charged one and getting on the road again. Obviously, the independently-owned tractor can't do this, but a large shipping firm (WalMart, Kroger, Allied, J.B.Hunt) could. The trailer gets on toward its destination without an hour recharging wait (every 100 miles?). Justathought...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I sincerely hope GM completely skips over the hybrid and plug-in-hybrid designs for new vehicles and goes straight to pure EV's in all forms.

Toyota already has the extremely unremarkable RAV4 hybrid which isn't selling in big numbers, and roomer is they are (or at least were) considering a plug-in-hybrid version (with sub 30mi EV range) of the RAV4. GM does not need to go down the same path as Toyota which has produced mediocre sales results.

Go electric or go home!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This seems pretty likely since Tesla already has the fast DC charge infrastructure ready to charge these big power plants and the fuel savings alone will revolutionize the trucking industry.

I am guessing (no facts to support) that electric semi tractor functionality will be achieved by "exchanging" your battery-depleted tractor with a fully-charged one and getting on the road again. Obviously, the independently-owned tractor can't do this, but a large shipping firm (WalMart, Kroger, Allied, J.B.Hunt) could. The trailer gets on toward its destination without an hour recharging wait (every 100 miles?). Justathought...[/QUOTE]

Yes, this would be the current Tesla supercharger stations @80 KW. Tesla is planning to upgrade their supercharger stations to 150 KW and possibly even 350 KW. In the not-so-distant future these trucks will be driverless so the wait time it's not an issue as they will be on the road 24hrs/day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts