Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm happy with my Bolt, but am wondering what I will get after my lease is up.
Unless a '23 Bolt has all wheel drive, it probably won't be a Bolt.
What say others?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If they start giving the EUV's away in 3 yrs when I current lease is up, then I may go that route. But too soon to tell since there will be so many new options to choose from 3 yrs from now. For now, I am keeping the Ioniq 5 in my radar.

·
Administrator
2,250 Posts
I'm happy with my Bolt, but am wondering what I will get after my lease is up.
Unless a '23 Bolt has all wheel drive, it probably won't be a Bolt.
What say others?
I test drove ID4 this past weekend, just to get a sense of options. I was clear to them I had no immediate intentions, explained I am waiting to hear what GM does (they actually own Chevy and VW dealerships right next door to each other). I was impressed, and created an account on a sister forum to get a pulse from current owners. I see a lot of issues VW is struggling with in software, glitches that sound a bit familiar to those we have all experience with Bolts. One user complained of a sudden, dramatic drop in range along the line of the 2017 Bolt battery recall issue.

I intend to test drive a Mach-e as soon as I can arrange it. I will probably do the same (forum) research on it as well.

I get the sense the grass may not be so green on the other side. But, I remain open to options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get the sense the grass may not be so green on the other side. But, I remain open to options.
I think this is a wise reaction. Each brand is mostly embarking on new ventures and each brand will have its issues or weaknesses. I think it's great if people want to switch but remain realistic about each model's strengths and drawbacks. But let's hope that drawback isn't random combustion.😏

·
Administrator
2,250 Posts
I think this is a wise reaction. Each brand is mostly embarking on new ventures and each brand will have its issues or weaknesses. I think it's great if people want to switch but remain realistic about each model's strengths and drawbacks. But let's hope that drawback isn't random combustion.😏
Ya, ID4 packs are made by...you guessed it, LG. They will use SKI when they start US production. Wouldn't that be a kick in the seat to abandon GM for another promising EV, that has the same problems...

·
Registered
5 Posts
A feature high on my want list is a tow rating. While not necessarily a deal breaker, the Bolt doesn't have it. The ID.4 has it and it may be tough to beat. The Mach-E does not. Maybe an F-150 Lightning?
I'd love some towing capability as well. The ID.4 AWD is rated for 2700 lbs with electronic braking and the Model Y is rated for 3500 lbs. The Bolt EUV is definitely short on the utility aspect of its name.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I intend to test drive a Mach-e as soon as I can arrange it. I will probably do the same (forum) research on it as well.
I drove an AWD premium. It's more luxury CUV than sporty vehicle. If it had a 3500 lb tow rating I would seriously consider it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
A feature high on my want list is a tow rating. While not necessarily a deal breaker, the Bolt doesn't have it. The ID.4 has it and it may be tough to beat. The Mach-E does not. Maybe an F-150 Lightning?
'towing' with an EV is just funny.......... unless you are talking about a 300# pop up trailer, ok maybe.

I'll be waiting on the F150 Lightening and see how it goes...
..It can park right next to my F350 <-- THIS is for TOWING ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2017 Bolt and am mostly happy with it, except for the DC fast charging speed. I just bought a Mach E, and already took it on a road trip, Phoenix to Grand Canyon. Was able to add 161 miles in 25 minutes on a 350KW charger. Way better than the Bolt. Still have the Bolt, my wife drives that but will sell it once I can get my Hummer.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If tax incentive goes through, probably a Tesla, soon. If not, I'll probably have the Bolt until I get whichever fully autonomous car that has the most comfortable seats.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Love my Bolt and it suits my needs, but I suspect I'll be trading it for a Cadillac Lyriq one day. Probably the second year they are available as I am reluctant to buy a first year of production vehicle.

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
Depending on what GM comes up with, we may have to get rid of our Bolt. I will be really bummed if that is the case. The only option for us right now would be a RWD, 200+ range M3. I really don't want a sedan, but I don't see any CCS cars I would buy at this point.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I leased mine, thinking that what I really want (small, affordable, AWD, EV crossover with a bit of ground clearance) doesn’t exist yet, but there will likely be at least a few choices in 3 years. However, as I approach my first year, I’m thinking just keep it and turn it into a hot hatch (handling mods, decent tires, etc) would be less expensive, a lot more fun, and I’d still have the Forester for snow days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I leased mine, thinking that what I really want (small, affordable, AWD, EV crossover with a bit of ground clearance) doesn’t exist yet, but there will likely be at least a few choices in 3 years. However, as I approach my first year, I’m thinking just keep it and turn it into a hot hatch (handling mods, decent tires, etc) would be less expensive, a lot more fun, and I’d still have the Forester for snow days.
Model y rwd was closest but now with awd model and $10k price hike, there isn’t one affordable crossover that I would consider. Bolt is hard to beat, I hope GM does us right.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Each new purchase must have something worth upgrading toward. Self driving and/or V2H/G are my interest.

Microbus?

Reactions: specialed

·
Registered
564 Posts
After my 2017 Bolt lease was up, I bought a 2020 and plan to hold onto it for a while, meaning until some EV that really catches my eye comes along.

However, my wife will probably get a Mach-E at some point within the next year or two after they have been on the road long enough to see what some of the initial problems look like.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
You know, with the issue of battery life in heat, if the Nissan Ariya with liquid cooling comes with lizard packs, I am now leaning toward this.
Nissan also pioneered the 360 view and will have Propilot for hands free highway driving.
Looking at $50K for self driving Ariya vs $60K for self driving Model Y.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts