Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,296 Posts
My two-car family just added a Honda Clarity PHEV Touring. Highest EV range in its class at 47 miles.

Unfortunately, like the Volt, Claritys are stopping production (next month).

·
Registered
100 Posts
My wife and I currently own 2 Bolt EVs and will be replacing them with 2 Bolt EUVs. We have enjoyed our Bolts and prefer not moving to the next shiny new thing that another manufacturer entices people with. New vehicles usually come with new problems that haven’t been thought about. Tesla, GM, and even Nissan have done electrics for a long time and even they have had issues. While other manufacturers are just starting their EV journey, I would rather not be the experiment for the newest kid on the block. Bolts have been good to us, we’ll stay the course but move to the EUV for a little more rear leg room.

Reactions: shepdave and AlexSF

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm probably going back to an ICE vehicle for the next decade or so which will hopefully give me enough time to drive those vehicles that I've wanted for many years. I already have two other ICE vehicles that get only about 15mpg so what's another :) I've got to do this before EV's completely take over and hopefully by then batteries, charging availability and speed will improve. The Bolt is fun, but it's got another 15 months left until it's turned in.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I recently replaced my Bolt of 3.5 years with a Mach-E. It was hard to find a replacement because we've all been spoiled with the Bolt (up until the fire recalls). Fire recall aside, the Bolt was problem free, quick, had good software (even in 2017), had a dealer network and had no fit/finish issues.

So everything I was looking for had to have a 0-60 in at least 6.5 seconds... then since I was upgrading I also wanted semi-autonomous driving. Just those two things alone left me with the EUV, Mach-E, Model 3/Y. Factor in the tax credit and it was a no-brainer. If I could've waited, though, I was also looking at the Q4 e-tron quattro, Lightning, EV6, Ariya e-4orce, ID.4 GTX or I would've waited for the Tesla credits to come back.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Early adapters get off on being early adapters.

We knew back in 2014 we wanted an EV, but there just wasn't the right combination of features, range and price so we waited. When the 2017 Bolt came along, it was overpriced, but everything else was right, so we overpaid, but are continuing to enjoy it.

That there are soon to be new bright shiny things doesn't change that the Bolt continues to do everything we need done. It could be our first, last and only EV.

jack vines, who's not married to the Bolt; just happy cohabitating with it.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
For those ditching EV, no one would want to get the Ford Maverick hybrid truck?

·
Registered
128 Posts
'towing' with an EV is just funny.......... unless you are talking about a 300# pop up trailer, ok maybe.

I'll be waiting on the F150 Lightening and see how it goes...
..It can park right next to my F350 <-- THIS is for TOWING ;)

It may be funny, but it’s very useful 🙂 I switched to an ID.4 at the end of May, not over the battery issues as I had a 2020 LT. The tow rating and included hitch + wiring was one reason, along with more space, much faster charging, driver assist features and a nicer cabin. Loved my bolt though and it was more fun to drive around town!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm in no rush (pending the outcome of the current battery issues) and I would prefer to get a EV truck as my next vehicle. Right now I am leaning towards a Cybertruck, I like the wild design of it. However since I am not in a rush I am going to wait a few years and see how all the upcoming EV trucks shake out.

When it comes time to replace my wife's minivan we will likely get her one of the crossover/small suv style EVs. Model Y, MachE or another, not sure yet because that is also a few years off.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Not ending a lease, but when my buyback is all said and done I'll be driving around a SR+ Model 3.
Welp, life threw a curveball and now the next car I pick up after GM buys back my Bolt may be... a Bolt (EUV)! The EUV has seemingly finally been outfitted with the missing microprocessor and is now in the process of being shipped to the dealer. I now have to decide whether to still go ahead with the Model 3 delivery or decline it again and keep the EUV.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There will be lots of interesting EVs coming out next year to look at. Price is important and I'm hoping prices go down so I don't have to pay MSRP (and certainly not higher) but that may not happen until 2023. I'm also looking to see if tax credits come back for manufacturers that lost them.

I'll be looking for AWD, fast charging times, and light towing (to replace my pickup with a small trailer). I'd also like to see well over 300 miles range, but very fast charging would help make up for extra range.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt
5 Posts
I was planning to stick with the Bolt for a while but given the battery issues (I have a 2019 with a Korean pack) I am looking closely at alternatives now. I'm most interested in the ID.4 as it will soon be offered with AWD at an attractive price point (plus tax credit).

[If I had money to burn I'd step up into a Rivian or Ford Lightning.]

·
Administrator
2,278 Posts
I have a 2019 with an LG pack
All Bolts, including 2022 have LG packs. The recall and fire issues are concentrated on Korean made packs, the production shifted to MI in mid-2019 model year (probably around the first part of calendar year 2019).

·
Registered
2019 Bolt
5 Posts
All Bolts, including 2022 have LG packs. The recall and fire issues are concentrated on Korean made packs, the production shifted to MI in mid-2019 model year (probably around the first part of calendar year 2019).
Thanks for that info. Mine is Korean (5/19 build, and based on pack codes and recall status). Edited my post.

·
Administrator
2,278 Posts
Thanks for that info. Mine is Korean (5/19 build, and based on pack codes and recall status). Edited my post.
Component inventory, your pack may have been produced several months previous to the car build date, they had to ship assembled cells or packs from Korea to MI for final assembly and no doubt used FIFO inventory management. The general cutoff is mid-2019 model year, but that is an artificial date and some mid year final assembly probably had overlap. The VIN likely cross references to serial numbers of the components within GM computers so they know which cars had which pack.

ID4 is a nice car and price, but not without some (potential) issues too. I test drove one recently, then started perusing the ID4 forum. Lots of posts about SW glitches (hopefully temporary), and the packs are made by LG (will be SKI in GA when VW starts making these in the US). I did see one ID4 post sounding similar to early 2017 Bolt issues with sudden range drop, GM initially addressed that with MY17 battery swaps, then a SW update in mid 2018. That Bolt issue had more to do with BMS than the packs themselves apparently.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt
5 Posts
ID4 is a nice car and price, but not without some (potential) issues too. I test drove one recently, then started perusing the ID4 forum. Lots of posts about SW glitches (hopefully temporary), and the packs are made by LG (will be SKI in GA when VW starts making these in the US). I did see one ID4 post sounding similar to early 2017 Bolt issues with sudden range drop, GM initially addressed that with MY17 battery swaps, then a SW update in mid 2018. That Bolt issue had more to do with BMS than the packs themselves apparently.
I expect there could be glitches no matter where I go next (we're all still early adopters, right?). How did the interior of the ID.4 seem? I've read that it is a bit more refined than the Bolt, which would be a welcome change. Uncomfortable seats is one of my primary gripes with the Bolt. I've been willing to put up with that, but now that there are other (relatively) affordable EVs on the horizon I may be less tolerant with these little annoyances, especially in the context of the fire risk.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I expect there could be glitches no matter where I go next (we're all still early adopters, right?). How did the interior of the ID.4 seem? I've read that it is a bit more refined than the Bolt, which would be a welcome change. Uncomfortable seats is one of my primary gripes with the Bolt. I've been willing to put up with that, but now that there are other (relatively) affordable EVs on the horizon I may be less tolerant with these little annoyances, especially in the context of the fire risk.
Like with the bolt, there is a subset of people who are experiencing more problems with the ID.4 than is normal. Personally I've seen a couple glitchy things here or there, (such as getting a message saying the lights need to be turned off when I'm getting out of the car even though they're already set to auto) but nothing that has affected safety, function or enjoyability of the car. The interior is noticeably more refined/premium feeling than the bolt. The bolt's seats never bothered me but after driving the ID.4 I definitely noticed the difference. Basically the ID.4's cabin is a really nice place to be, it's also quieter than the bolt with a nicer ride.

·
Administrator
2,278 Posts
Agreed WRT glitches. GM had several years of experience from EV1 and Volt, yet still had some glitches.

Interior was very nice, I test drove Pro S gradient, the look and feel is quite upscale vs Bolt (I have not seen 2022 Bolts yet, so can't make a comparison to that). I wouldn't call it luxury class, but certainly not Econo class. Seats seemed comfortable, but I was only in the car for 15-20 minutes so hard to tell what longer trips might be like. The ride was more refined, though I think we had the settings for Comfort level, the Eco and Sport modes might be a little less "luxury" ride quality? Massaging seats would seem to provide even further relief, though I didn't try that feature out.

Regen is not as aggressive as Bolt, you will have to use the brake pedal again! Rumors are that might change with SW updates. Sport mode is supposedly a bit more aggressive with regen. The only time regen will bring you to a full stop is ACC, but again I can't attest to that with my limited exposure.

I found the Brake\Go pedal a bit close for my large feet, had to be a bit purposeful in switching between pedals.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts