Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Agreed WRT glitches. GM had several years of experience from EV1 and Volt, yet still had some glitches.

Interior was very nice, I test drove Pro S gradient, the look and feel is quite upscale vs Bolt (I have not seen 2022 Bolts yet, so can't make a comparison to that). I wouldn't call it luxury class, but certainly not Econo class. Seats seemed comfortable, but I was only in the car for 15-20 minutes so hard to tell what longer trips might be like. The ride was more refined, though I think we had the settings for Comfort level, the Eco and Sport modes might be a little less "luxury" ride quality? Massaging seats would seem to provide even further relief, though I didn't try that feature out.

Regen is not as aggressive as Bolt, you will have to use the brake pedal again! Rumors are that might change with SW updates. Sport mode is supposedly a bit more aggressive with regen. The only time regen will bring you to a full stop is ACC, but again I can't attest to that with my limited exposure.

I found the Brake\Go pedal a bit close for my large feet, had to be a bit purposeful in switching between pedals.
I've done St Louis -> Colorado Springs in a day in the ID.4 and the seats are quite comfortable for longer trips. The massage function on the upper trims is nice to prevent stiffness on those long trips.

Regen is definitely less aggressive and I missed the paddle at first, but I've gotten used to backing off a bit sooner in B mode and generally only use the brake pedal when I need to come to a complete stop. I do wish they would implement OPD for smoother stops, GM completely nailed it on the bolt! I hold out some very small hope that it might come in the future as an option via OTA update...

·
Registered
128 Posts
The ride was more refined, though I think we had the settings for Comfort level, the Eco and Sport modes might be a little less "luxury" ride quality?
The ID.4 doesn't have adjustable suspension, so the ride quality is the same in all modes.

·
Administrator
2,278 Posts
The ID.4 doesn't have adjustable suspension, so the ride quality is the same in all modes.
Thanks for that detail, I wasn't sure.

So the modes only impact regen and accelerator pedal response?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for that detail, I wasn't sure.

So the modes only impact regen and accelerator pedal response?
I believe it also affects the steering feel, but otherwise yes. TBH I've pretty much just left it in comfort mode.

·
Registered
66 Posts
All Bolts, including 2022 have LG packs. The recall and fire issues are concentrated on Korean made packs, the production shifted to MI in mid-2019 model year (probably around the first part of calendar year 2019).
So....assuming the fires were not due to a design issue....the USA made LG packs should be fire free?

·
Registered
2019 Bolt
5 Posts
I've done St Louis -> Colorado Springs in a day in the ID.4 and the seats are quite comfortable for longer trips. The massage function on the upper trims is nice to prevent stiffness on those long trips.

Regen is definitely less aggressive and I missed the paddle at first, but I've gotten used to backing off a bit sooner in B mode and generally only use the brake pedal when I need to come to a complete stop. I do wish they would implement OPD for smoother stops, GM completely nailed it on the bolt! I hold out some very small hope that it might come in the future as an option via OTA update...
That's interesting. I would definitely miss OPD but might be willing to give that up for a more refined cabin and AWD.

·
Administrator
2,278 Posts
So....assuming the fires were not due to a design issue....the USA made LG packs should be fire free?
Jury still out on that count.

What we do seem to know is, 2017-2018 have relatively less frequent fires than 1H 2019, none on 2H 2019 and later (yet).

Only time will tell on the newer US made, but the relatively lower fire rates on 17-18 suggests some production problems crept in sometime in 2018. Could be supply chain, manufacturing process, quality controls, who knows for sure (surely, GM must have ideas).

Likely, time of manufacture for cells is up to 6 months before final assembly for Korean made cells (shipping time mostly). Final assembly of packs and cars was done in MI if I am not mistaken. And inventory tends to be consumed FIFO, but overlaps in late 2018 and early 2019 may cause a mix of problematic Korean cells with ok Korean cells, or Korean cells with US cells.

All of this suggests that if GM intends to fix the problem without including all Bolts from 2017 - 1H 2019, then they need to get some detailed analysis published for owners to see in order to understand the real risks involved.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Jury still out on that count.

What we do seem to know is, 2017-2018 have relatively less frequent fires than 1H 2019, none on 2H 2019 and later (yet).

Only time will tell on the newer US made, but the relatively lower fire rates on 17-18 suggests some production problems crept in sometime in 2018. Could be supply chain, manufacturing process, quality controls, who knows for sure (surely, GM must have ideas).

Likely, time of manufacture for cells is up to 6 months before final assembly for Korean made cells (shipping time mostly). Final assembly of packs and cars was done in MI if I am not mistaken. And inventory tends to be consumed FIFO, but overlaps in late 2018 and early 2019 may cause a mix of problematic Korean cells with ok Korean cells, or Korean cells with US cells.

All of this suggests that if GM intends to fix the problem without including all Bolts from 2017 - 1H 2019, then they need to get some detailed analysis published for owners to see in order to understand the real risks involved.
So y'all think prob is a cell issue and not a pack issue? Are the US packs made with Korean cells or US Cells?

·
Administrator
2,278 Posts
So y'all think prob is a cell issue and not a pack issue? Are the US packs made with Korean cells or US Cells?
The pack is really a container for the collection of cells. I don't think the pack has anything to do with fires, it seems to be defects or deterioration in the cells.

What happens with batteries is the heat generated by certain unhealthy conditions spreads to the flammable liquid electrolyte creating a thermal runaway condition. This eventually escalates to flames that escape the sealed battery pack and spread to the other parts of the car. The container (pack) is generally non-flammable, but has seals that would tend to weaken and fail in extreme temps.

So, it comes down to where the cells are made, or how carefully, or the quality of components that go into the cells.

In 2019, GM changed chemistry in the cells. Officially, this change was seen on 2020 model year Bolts with a 60 to 66 kWh bump in the pack capacity, and higher ranges. There is speculation 2H 2019 Bolts may have had these new cells, or a mix of new and old cells, so this may impact the likelihood of fires in 2H 2019 and later Bolts. But, details of a lot of this is purely circumstantial speculation.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,205 Posts
That's a more complicated question than you might think. The "US packs" for the later 2019, and 2020+ Bolts are assembled in Holland, MI. However, there's some indication that some of the raw materials may have been imported from S. Korea as late as the 2020 model year; for example, it might be a raw material like electrode film.

Specifically, the 2019 model year lists 64% content from Korea, the 2020 lists 57% content from Korea, and the 2021 lists 19% content from Korea. Nevertheless, we know that the 2020 battery packs were manufactured in the US. So it's likely that some of the raw materials for the battery packs were imported from S. Korea at least prior to the beginning of the 2020 model year (when the foreign parts content has to be calculated for the Monroney sticker).

Edit:

I think it's unlikely the cells were manufactured in S. Korea and then imported to the US just for assembly into packs. The Holland, MI site plan specifically includes a cell manufacturing facility.

·
Registered
839 Posts
It may be funny, but it’s very useful 🙂 I switched to an ID.4 at the end of May, not over the battery issues as I had a 2020 LT. The tow rating and included hitch + wiring was one reason, along with more space, much faster charging, driver assist features and a nicer cabin. Loved my bolt though and it was more fun to drive around town!
🤣🤣🤣🤣 Yeah ok, Light loads, what's that, all of 300# ??...... I'm talking about a Serious load... try hauling just 10 head of cattle then we can talk about Towing. FYI each head is about 1,200- 1,800 #
The point is, you have to charge up WAY too soon and that makes it not worth the effort........... unless you are only going 10 miles for the towing. Oh and don't forget to add in the AC or Heat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I really like the look of the ID4. Really surprised at the weight of them, appear to weigh like 4600lbs!!, wow. Most reviews I’ve seen tend to mention the sluggish acceleration of the rwd model which would probably bug me, likely moving all that weight is a challenge. The laggy, buggy infotainment would also drive me nuts, hopefully fixable with an update. Otherwise they seem great, will keep my eye on those and the Ioniq 5. Probably still leaning EUV though.

·
Administrator
2,278 Posts
I really like the look of the ID4. Really surprised at the weight of them, appear to weigh like 4600lbs!!, wow. Most reviews I’ve seen tend to mention the sluggish acceleration of the rwd model which would probably bug me, likely moving all that weight is a challenge. The laggy, buggy infotainment would also drive me nuts, hopefully fixable with an update. Otherwise they seem great, will keep my eye on those and the Ioniq 5. Probably still leaning EUV though.
ID4 has the same 201HP, but lower torque than Bolt. The added weight and lower torque give the sense of slower acceleration, but I wouldn't call it sluggish (RWD = 0-60 in 7.5 seconds). Bolt may beat it off the line by a second, but that is nothing like a 2021 Toyota C-HR (11 seconds).

·
Registered
370 Posts
ID4 is a nice car and price, but not without some (potential) issues too. I test drove one recently, then started perusing the ID4 forum. Lots of posts about SW glitches (hopefully temporary), and the packs are made by LG
LG pack, made where and when ? If where and when is pertinent to the Bolt, I presume it would be pertinent to the ID4.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It’s only sluggish compared to other EVs and high dollar ICEs. 7.5s 0-60 is plenty fast for me and with wider rubber I can floor it when I need to scoot without worrying about toasting the tires like on the bolt. As with my bolt, I use carplay exclusively and it’s just as responsive as the bolt was.

·
Administrator
2,278 Posts
LG pack, made where and when ? If where and when is pertinent to the Bolt, I presume it would be pertinent to the ID4.
Good point, probably somewhere in EU, maybe Germany. When is current since ID4 is new to the market with 2021 model year.

Not saying LG alone is cause for concern, but given Hyundai (China), GM (Korea) had fire issues around the same time, where might not be the right question.

It took ~3 years for the Bolt issues to come to light.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not saying LG alone is cause for concern, but given Hyundai (China), GM (Korea) had fire issues around the same time, where might not be the right question.

It took ~3 years for the Bolt issues to come to light.
Huh. Then why do you repeatedly point to MI as safe where the Bolt is concerned ?

·
Registered
370 Posts
7.5s 0-60 is plenty fast for me
I think the same, but my impression from my ID4 test drive was that the car is sluggish. I'm not sure why. Either my butt-meter has been recalibrated by faster cars, my impression is hooey, or a more granular acceleration profile may be informative.

·
Administrator
2,278 Posts
Huh. Then why do you repeatedly point to MI as safe where the Bolt is concerned ?
GM said that, and they never recalled MI made Bolts from 2019. Safe is relative, 2017-2018 seem to be relatively safe(r) than 1H 2019 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 96 Posts