Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do they leave blank buttons (or spots where buttons could go) on the dash? Seems a little unfinished. I'd put three buttons there and let the user assign hot keys. I'd pick climate functions (climate on/off) since those have a big battery impact.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Why do they leave blank buttons ...
Crazy. I was just thinking about this last night. I actually would consider doing a little DIY homelink thing for the 2 garage doors and one entry gate. Come to find out these blanks are not blanks for the Ampera-E as required in the EU. (There was a thread here back in February about this)

I think I can mutilate a junk BMW or Audi Homelink, order EU Ampera-E buttons, and build a Frankenlink using that space.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Why do they leave blank buttons (or spots where buttons could go) on the dash? Seems a little unfinished. I'd put three buttons there and let the user assign hot keys. I'd pick climate functions (climate on/off) since those have a big battery impact.
The blank buttons are place holders for functions required in foreign markets as well new features not released yet. I love the idea of user assigned functions! Like shortcut keys to certain pages, or features you always use soft keys for in the menus, or pages.

Having said that, I'm not sure what I'd want to put there? :|

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I would have at least one of those buttons turn on the camera and "birds-eye" view even though you're not in reverse. That would be terrific for judging side and front distances for a spot that you can pull into without having to back up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would have at least one of those buttons turn on the camera and "birds-eye" view even though you're not in reverse. That would be terrific for judging side and front distances for a spot that you can pull into without having to back up.
Maybe I've got newer software than most of you, but I can turn on my camera even if I'm not in reverse. I used the camera to pull forward into a parking spot last night without doing the reverse bit. But I agree that a hardware button to trigger it would be a great feature.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I've got newer software than most of you, but I can turn on my camera even if I'm not in reverse. I used the camera to pull forward into a parking spot last night without doing the reverse bit. But I agree that a hardware button to trigger it would be a great feature.
Yeah I have that also, I use it all the time coming into a parking spot to judge how close I am. Clumsy to get to it though, I'd also like a hardware button, except a hardware button implies a feature always available, and the camera is only available when traveling < 5 mph or something.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Dedicate one button for ft/rear/"birds-eye" view cams as previously mentioned.

Dedicate on button to engaging "full paddle pulled in" all the time regen!

Dedicate one button to "all windows down".

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dedicate one button for ft/rear/"birds-eye" view cams as previously mentioned.
Except for the problem that it only engages when at low speed, and buttons should be for always available functions

For what, going doing a long steep grade? The regen is so aggressive seems like L would handle that and then some?

Dedicate one button to "all windows down".
Good idea

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Maybe I've got newer software than most of you, but I can turn on my camera even if I'm not in reverse.
Yeah, but you have to press the home button and then a couple of on-screen buttons that you need to look at to be sure you're hitting the right thing. When I'd be blocking traffic in a busy parking lot I don't want to be having to do that just to pull into a parking space - hence a single hard button that would do the job with one click.

·
Registered
181 Posts
For what, going doing a long steep grade? The regen is so aggressive seems like L would handle that and then some?
This would give full aggressive regen all the time. It is still regulated by the accelerator pedal. This is what I do mostly except when I have to turn while slowing. It would be nice to not have to hold the regen paddle.

They could also do this with the paddle. It could be pulled in until it clicks to keep the regen on high. Pull it in until it clicks again to return regen to low. The actual amount of regen is controlled by the accelerator pedal in either case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
just hit the camera button on the screen when you're trying to park. The front camera comes on and the top down view appears. Poof. You have it. You can't be driving, though. You have to be at a stop or going very slow for the camera icon to light up. Can also switch back and forth at the bottom of the screen to see the front and rear views.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just hit the camera button on the screen when you're trying to park. The front camera comes on and the top down view appears. Poof. You have it. You can't be driving, though. You have to be at a stop or going very slow for the camera icon to light up. Can also switch back and forth at the bottom of the screen to see the front and rear views.
Yes obviously we do know that, the issue is that we keep having to navigate to a couple of screens (at least hit the cars four circle Apps button) to get to it. Then navigate back to whereever we were. I use this to park at home to know how close I'm getting, it's always a stop, tap tap tap, shift to D (L is too jumpy when trying to nudge), park, go back to home screen.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
This. Make it happen GM!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would have put the HVAC controls down there - either have buttons there or another wheel - and had a media (radio, SXM, etc) tuning wheel up where the HVAC control wheel is now. Having the tuning controls on the screen isn't as intuitive to me. Still Bolt is a great vehicle.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You folks are not thinking grandly enough. Buttons should:

- #1 Remove all dweebs who are in your way while driving, um, expeditiously. Engage phasers, blam, they are out of the way.
- #2 Remove cars/persons who display bumper stickers of person you oppose politically or because of your bias(es). Do they just quibble a bit with your beliefs? Well, blast them to smithereens. See #1 re: use of phasers.
- #3 Allow you to circumvent all laws of physics - fake facts, right? - and get 500 mile range OR while driving 100 mph get mileage/kW usually seen at 23 mph. This is a a subtle reward only available to people who can read the instructions.

Really, if you have free buttons, might as well aim high.

·
Registered
181 Posts
the issue is that we keep having to navigate to a couple of screens (at least hit the cars four circle Apps button) to get to it. Then navigate back to whereever we were. I use this to park at home to know how close I'm getting, it's always a stop, tap tap tap, shift to D (L is too jumpy when trying to nudge), park, go back to home screen.
If you are going to stop, why not just shift to R to turn on the display, then to D (because you prefer not to use L here) to switch to the front camera?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
If you are going to stop, why not just shift to R to turn on the display, then to D (because you prefer not to use L here) to switch to the front camera?
You don't always have to stop - for example if you're driving straight into a perpendicular space. It would be terrific to have a single hard button to push to turn on the camera (and bird's-eye view) so you can plainly see how the car is positioned. A hard button gives you tactile positioning and activation feedback which, combined with muscle memory, means you could hit it without having to take your eyes from where you're going.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts