Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I do not see myself driving through a flood with this car any time soon. Once I drove with water up to the driver's window with an ICE and it ruined the motor. I do not even know how it did not stop functioning for good! I was lucky I was able to cross the flooded area. But never again, let alone with an EV...

Reactions: gern_blanston

·
Registered
575 Posts
Common sense says DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE THROUGH STANDING WATER MORE THAN AN INCH DEEP. It is an invitation to disaster. Perhaps you should rephrase the question as 'At what water depth does the Bolt start to float away down the river?'. Hopefully no one is so foolhardy as to attempt to find the answer to these very dangerous questions.

If you see standing water on the road in front of you, PLEASE STOP. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS IT. Many people have died attempting to answer your question in a variety of vehicles. In an EV, there is the added danger of electrical shock. You could end up looking like Keith Richards.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ya know, if you want to give your car a bath, there are brushless car washes now!!! But seriously, if it were me, 6" slowly sounds reasonable as it shouldn't submerge anything - as far as I can tell there is at least 6" of ground clearance.

I am amazed at what folks will do to cars, and what cars can absorb :) For example, these guys in a old Volvo:
How the engine didn't hydrolock baffles me... nevermind the submerged alternator, etc...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Dunno about the Bolt, but perhaps seeing how GM designed the Volts can give you comfort:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for those videos. Makes me feel better.

I have a route I routinely travel that during long period of rain causes a creek to overflow onto the roadway. Probably 6 inches deep at most. This road is the only way to get to my house. One way in and one way out. I've never had a problem crossing it in my old Pruis. Prior to see the testing that GM does, I was concerned that water might get into the battery and short it. Looks like GM anticipated that.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I have a route I routinely travel that during long period of rain causes a creek to overflow onto the roadway. Probably 6 inches deep at most. This road is the only way to get to my house.
You gotta do what you gotta do - but if that's any sort of regular occurrence I'd be pretty cautious and drive through the water very, very slowly. The battery disassembly video shows that there's a seal around the two halves of the battery clamshell, but I'd be skeptical that it was designed for immersion.

When you drive through water you can get standing waves that are a fair bit higher than the general water depth, and if they're present at the seams of the battery case long enough then you might get some seepage, particularly if the clamshell seal or one of the seals at the cable passthroughs wasn't installed quite right on your vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was nervous, but drove through Imelda flood waters in Houston today. The Bolt easily pushed through some 12in-18in water where many similarly sized and some larger SUVs had issues. I think the fact that the Bolt uses its own liquid cooling system instead of air-cooling like other manufacturers (Leaf?) meant the car's nose can be kept ever-so-slightly more watertight. Overall, the low-end torque also was hugely impressive for this purpose.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I was nervous, but drove through Imelda flood waters in Houston today. The Bolt easily pushed through some 12in-18in water where many similarly sized and some larger SUVs had issues. I think the fact that the Bolt uses its own liquid cooling system instead of air-cooling like other manufacturers (Leaf?) meant the car's nose can be kept ever-so-slightly more watertight. Overall, the low-end torque also was hugely impressive for this purpose.
Yikes! Glad you made it through safely. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Things got a little dicey with Imelda but I didn't do anything deeper than 4-5 inches and only to get through an intersection.

All these truck owners are crazy. The axle/diff can still get water inside when driving in water, even though you might make it through just fine. I remember driving my old jeep through rivers for fun. Water came pouring out when I finally opened the diff plate.

I wouldn't trust the seals at all and the bolt doesn't have that much clearance. Water penetration may not show any symptoms for many years after.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was in 10 inches of water at a launch ramp. I figured that was too deep and decided not to launch there. No problems with the car.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Standing water is one thing. If it's not flowing there's not a huge amount of danger, but unless it's an emergency, I wouldn't drive through more than 5" to 6" of standing water. Flowing water is a very different thing, and I'd be leery of anything more than a couple inches (even then, only in an emergency).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.