Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this type of thread has been done before but if it does I wasn't able to find it.

New owner of a 2017 LT and was curious what people are seeing. My idea is if people want to make a modification such as add a tow hitch or put on roof racks they can have an idea of how it might impact their efficiency. This is far from a scientific study as it's from memory but is more just additional information. I'll start with mine with which I modified with a Draw-Tite hitch (cut a hole in the bumper).

Model Year: 2017
Modifications: Draw-Tite 1-1/4" hitch
Location/Terrain: Mid-Florida / Urban
Weather conditions: Mid 70's to high 80's

45 mph: 7-8 kwh
50: 10 kwh
60: 13 kwh
65: 15-18 kwh
70: 17-21 kwh
75: 20-23 kwh

·
Registered
429 Posts
I dont understand those figures you listed, sorry. It's been a long day though, so maybe it's me, can you elaborate?
I just use the mi/kWh figure average the bolt gives me to determine my efficiency.

Are your figures how much of the battery you are using per hour at those speeds?

·
Registered
966 Posts
If you remove the "h" from your figures, that pretty much agrees with the kW output that I see at those speeds in my 2019.

Mike

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you remove the "h" from your figures, that pretty much agrees with the kW output that I see at those speeds in my 2019.

Mike
you mean on a perfectly flat road with no wind resistance? kw output seems so variable to me, maybe i'm misunderstanding here.

·
Registered
17 Bolt LT
43 Posts
You can label things how you like. I know youre talking about the number on the right side of your GOM. Your numbers are the same as mine on flat terrain.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I agree with MikeyBolt here. Remove the "h" for the correct unit and it more or less matches my experience as well.

To be more specific, I've been keeping an eye on the kW figure while I drive at 100 km/h (62 mph) as reported by the dashboard (actually 95 km/h or 59 mph according to GPS) and during summer, the consumption hovers around 13 to 14 kW. On a moderately cool day in spring or fall, this goes to more or less solid 14 kW. In winter, it goes up to about 15 kW. With rain or snow I've seen it go up to 17.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If you are talking about how much energy it takes to go a certain speed, you must talk in kW, not kWh.
Ironically, kW is a unit of power, and kWh is a unit of energy. Power = Energy / Time, so Energy (kWh) = Power (kW) * time (h).

I too assume the OP is referring to how much power (kW) the car is drawing at a given speed.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
EVs are far from normal right now, and we aren't all electrical engineers.

When it comes to gas cars, we all grew up with talk of gallons, horsepower, and foot-pounds. We all intuitively know about what these units mean. But really, do we know how much power a typical horse can produce? I think in time, kW and kWh will become intuitive as well, even if people don't explicitly know what it means to provide 1,000 Joules per second (1 kW).

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Very cool, thanks!

But I hope it was clear from my post that I wasn't asking whether the answer was known at all, but rather who among us (who can readily say our Bolts produce 200HP) really understand what that means?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
But I hope it was clear from my post that I wasn't asking whether the answer was known at all, but rather who among us (who can readily say our Bolts produce 200HP) really understand what that means?
Sure. Bicycle geeks have an interest in this stuff, using pedal dynos and heart rate monitors. Check out this guy. Lifting double the weight, at a foot per second, to 2.7 feet. About 2 hp for 2.7 seconds. An average person burns 2000 calories in 24 hours. He burned about 698 calories in 2.7 seconds.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dear OP. Thank you very much for your posting. I live in the mountains of Virginia and do not have a flat enough place to observe the power kW to speed ratio. I appreciate your posting and understand what you meant.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts