Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the time, I just drive my Bolt LT around town, and never have to worry about running out of charge. Blast the heat, bitter cold, lots of zipping around, but never go more than 60 miles in a day, so no worries. Just plug it in every few days in my garage. But every week or two, I have to make a 190-mile-each-way, all freeway, weekend commute, and I live in Northern New England.

I don't need any more drama in my life than I already have, so I'd rather not have to make a sport out of worrying about running out of juice. Here's my approach: 1) the guess-o-meter gets more accurate the closer you get to your destination, and 2) speed has a large effect on efficiency. So I start slow, and speed up towards the end of the trip.

I set a destination in google maps, start out the trip with the cruise control at 60mph, and then keep an eye on the relation between the guess-o-meter's estimate and the actual miles left to travel. When I've been driving for a while and the guess-o-meter shows more than 20 or 25 miles over the remaining distance, I can gradually speed up, until the GOM vs. google maps difference is steady.

I do basic efficiency measures: precondition while plugged in, use the heat sparingly, mostly just to clear the windshield. But I don't go to extremes, like wearing long underwear.

What's your approach to longer drives?

·
Registered
107 Posts
My technique for longer drives is simply to plan ahead. There's no possibility of range anxiety as long as you know exactly when and where you next charger is. I know the car's range at highway speeds and I know how cold it's supposed to be, so it's easy to pull out PlugShare and pick a charger that is well within range, allowing something like 30 miles as my lower-end reserve.

Of course, once you do this, then there's a brand new anxiety to replace range anxiety: broken charger anxiety. I have no good idea how to deal with a Level 3 charger that won't provide juice, nothing else within 50 miles, and only 30 miles of range left in the battery.

Edit to add: your 190 mile drive would simply be off-limits to me in the winter, since you'll be finishing the drive with less than 30 miles of reserve. I'd only plan that trip if I could find some sort of charger towards the 3/4 point in your drive. I wouldn't need to stop at that charger if I passed it with enough range remaining, but it should be available in case something unexpected is encountered.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edit to add: your 190 mile drive would simply be off-limits to me in the winter, since you'll be finishing the drive with less than 30 miles of reserve. I'd only plan that trip if I could find some sort of charger towards the 3/4 point in your drive. I wouldn't need to stop at that charger if I passed it with enough range remaining, but it should be available in case something unexpected is encountered.
I do in fact have the option of fast charging on the route, at roughly the 3/4 point in both directions, and so when it's really cold and/or bad weather, I sometimes do take advantage of them, which gives me peace of mind. In case of broken or occupied L3 chargers, in both places, there are L2 charge backup options that would do the trick with an hour (instead of a half hour). Charging enroute allows me to drive faster and take a break, which is sometimes a more comfortable option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts