Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

When you received software fix #2 - were you actually advised what the software did?

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Packard V8 
#1 ·
I have been reading posts on here about what the software fix "reportedly" accomplished, but I was never handed anything in writing that explained it in detail to me.

For example, the claim more diagnostic functionality was added was mentioned in the news articles and notices I received from GM regarding the need for the 2nd software fix. But except for general language, I never saw anything that said if an anomaly was detected the horn would beep.

Also, nothing was explained as to whether the owner could use the built-in screen to view the diagnostic detail on their own.

Did I miss something?

#5 ·
It seems like it might have been a good idea to provide an instruction supplement for the manual that included warnings the car would provide and how to handle them if there was a potential or impending battery failure. The discussions here have provided the only source of information about the update that I know of.

#6 ·
After seven years as service consultant, I can safely say that most service consultants do a piss poor job of explaining work that is done. Most give a short overview, if that. Few take the time to be prepared with details for each customer. Part of it is volume, as you can be working with 30+ invoices each day, but part of it is lack of work ethic. Most people never ask for more detail. When they do, however, actually having a thorough and intelligent response goes a long way towards building trust with a customer.

#8 ·
I understood that it was only monitoring software and not a fix, but had no other information from GM or the dealership. The dealership probably doesn't understand it anyway. Even on other fixes they need to look it up after the diagnostic tells them to pull and replace a certain part. I agree that some information would have been useful for the owners to know their car might brick and need a tow to the dealer to have modules replaced, and especially useful to know that if I hear my horn blowing at 2am in the undisturbed garage that the house is fixin to burn down and I might want to investigate. So in that regard they did a really shitty job of communication. However, I'm in IT and almost weekly we have to discuss if we want to tell the users the change we are applying. Half of them won't read it, most of the rest might be confused and generate help desk tickets, and we're really only providing information to about 15% of them. Although we aren't trying to save lives.

#12 ·
I'm in IT and almost weekly we have to discuss if we want to tell the users the change we are applying. Half of them won't read it, most of the rest might be confused and generate help desk tickets, and we're really only providing information to about 15% of them.
For true. The law of unintended consequences always applies. When dentist/periodontist offices began routinely taking patient's blood pressure readings, this generated an increase in those patient's visits to ERs and and to their doctors. Turns out, most patients are anxious about what's about to happen in the dentist's chair and also dentists bought cheap wrist monitor blood pressure devices. The combination of fear and low-tech often produced elevated blood pressure readings. A percentage hearing a high BP, rather than wait until they could get in a more relaxed mode and use a home BP system or go to a pharmacy for a second opinion, "the sky is falling, I'm gonna die!"

Of course, none here have Bolt-induced panic attacks.

jack vines

#9 ·
No, but I never asked since I had the non-recall update applied on my not-recalled '19 (N202323690 Advanced Onboard Diagnostics Upgrade - Exp. 5/31/2023).

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCSB-20V701-3618.pdf is the procedure and has a bit of info. It's 1 of 37 associated docs at 2017 CHEVROLET BOLT 4 DR FWD | NHTSA. Bolt EV Battery Cell Inspection – TechLink has a bit more info. I've posted these many times here and elsewhere.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RMISC-20V701-9809.pdf I believe is the latest FAQ.

Unfortunately, they don't discuss any sort of supposed honk alarm but the bulletin says "Coordinated change to implement thermal propagation warning feature." That might be it...

As I think I've posted in another reply weeks or months ago, it's really not a good idea for dealers/service advisors to speculate or provide info (esp. guesses) beyond what they've been given.

#10 ·
...Unfortunately, they don't discuss any sort of supposed honk alarm but the bulletin says "Coordinated change to implement thermal propagation warning feature." That might be it...

As I think I've posted in another reply weeks or months ago, it's really not a good idea for dealers/service advisors to speculate or provide info (esp. guesses) beyond what they've been given.
Telek found the following in GM's Service Information system:
The following will occur only if thermal runaway is detected – regardless of Vehicle ON/OFF state:

– The vehicle parking lights will flash and the horn will sound continuously until the 12-volt battery is depleted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.