Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fellow Bolt owners,

Hello from a 2017 Sunset Orange Premier Bolt owner in Genesee Colorado.

Decided to pull the trigger and buy a Bolt in 2017 when I was unsure if the new tax rules would remove the Fed tax credit. It didn't, but glad that I made the purchase. Only 2,5000 miles into it so far.

Picture down at Post #6

Here's what I have done since the purchase:

1) Light window tint
2) WeatherTech rigid floor liner
3) Siemens VersiCharge LVL 2 (from Costco, yet to put in subpanel in Garage and connect, current charge is L1 110v)
4) Thule Roof Rack ("feet" that fit the OEM bolt holes, and Aeroblades)
5) Used BMW/MINI roof box (prev. owner custom painted)
6) Battery Wire Repair @ dealership

Yes, # 6 was due to a rabbit that decided that sitting on the "engine" and chewing on the soy-plastic covered wires that go from the ancillary battery would be a great way to pass the time. Luckily that was covered under insurance and only was a $50 copay.

And of course, #'s 4 & 5 reduce distance, but it is a solid trade-off. And if I can open the rear hatch (which my longer box would not allow) then it's a plus for the wife-acceptance-factor. The BMW/MINI roof box (Thule OEM for BWW) will fit snowboards and not hamper the closing of the rear hatch.

So far, nice! (although Chevy did get a laundry list of improvements that they could make in the survey... don't get me started on the negative aspects of the inductive phone charger / USB connection / Android Auto integration... grrr).

Looking forward to an electric AWD (in the meantime likely chains for the heavy winter snows), and the wife wants a convertible... so we will see what Chevy does with the Bolt "platform".

Tip: Never put this thing in "L" and have traction control on while on a slippery snow-covered road. You are not ready for that surprise! :D

Best regards,

Vincent

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Welcome, Vincent.

Living in the frozen Rockies, you will benefit from a set of mounted snows. I highly recommend Nokian Hakkapilita.

Tip: Never put this thing in "L" and have traction control on while on a slippery snow-covered road. You are not ready for that surprise!
Yes, I always take some time to define the performance envelope of any new vehicle. Forty-some years ago, my first front-wheel drive, I was amazed at the incredible traction and control of Saabs. Then, a downhill slick curve brought out the one problem area and I learned to always be in neutral if there might be a need to slow or stop in any downhill curve.

Even with Saabs, I always mounted four snows and you'll find they equally improve the Bolt. We use L most times and have learned the very fine tuning of control can be a benefit in snow.

jack vines

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey Vincent.
Welcome to the Bolt club. I think we joined at about the same time. I'm glad to read about all the flexibility with roof rack systems. I am consistently impressed with the functionality of the interior spaces.
FWIW, I grew up in Golden, down the hill. (I won't tell the forum that Genesee isn't a real city, but will tell them that there is a real bison colony right there in Genesee Park.)
Chris

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome, Vincent.

Living in the frozen Rockies, you will benefit from a set of mounted snows. I highly recommend Nokian Hakkapilita.
… I was amazed at the incredible traction and control of Saabs.
jack vines
Jack - proud previous owner of a forest green Saab 99E here... so I get it. :D

re: Nokian Hakkapilita - Thank for the suggestion. I had specifically considered those, but cost was high and availability was low. Where I am at in Colorado, it is either clear sailing or over a foot of snow. Rarely do I find myself in continuously ice/snow covered roads. I think that at $40.00 for chains, I will address the immediate needs. Possibly next winter once the current tires loose a little more tread. (general comment re: Nokian - I had a set on my Porsche Cayenne and they were great tires.)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Vincent.
FWIW, I grew up in Golden, down the hill.
Chris

Chris - Definitely "up the hill" here... which throws off the efficiency ratings of the Bolt, of course

Yes, I could have said "Mt. Vernon adjacent" rather than Genesee, but that would have lost most folk. At least with Golden, the "Coors" name still keeps it relevant. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just did the system upgrade from 14.1 to 14.4.2 following the instructions at electrek.co … easy-peasy.

Here's my Bolt... Did anyone else notice it was close to Home Depot Orange?

Attachments

Reactions: Br4hm4

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi from down in Golden. I always keep mine in L but run a set of Nokian Hakkapilita R2s. Never had any issues. If you are going to be driving around here I would highly recommend getting some snow tires on regardless of whether it is snow packed or not. The stock tires cold are skates as you have found out without apparent damage yet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
And Hola from Montana! I put Bizzaks on mine and also routinely use L around town for pretty much everything except any runs on I 90 or I 15. My experience with using L vs D is such that any time I have any trouble with L, conditions are mediocre enough that D and ABS struggle as well. I haven't made the spring for a Rocket Box yet as my XC skis fit inside. My only modification is a Kurgo seat cover for the back seat for my dog.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
And Hola from Montana! …. and also routinely use L around town for pretty much everything except any runs on I 90 or I 15. My experience with using L vs D is such that any time I have any trouble with L, conditions are mediocre enough that D and ABS struggle as well.
Thanks Tokodave!

Folks, don't get me wrong, I love me the regenerative aspect of "L", and usually love traction control... but as I was going uphill, on 5 inches of fresh snow, letting off on the "gas", I had forgotten about the impact of regenerative deceleration. Hitting the accelerator to compensate and suddenly (with traction control kicking in) on that mild slope I'm going laterally. :eek:

Now, this is in Summit country, the home of many of the famous ski hills. Once I was on relative flat ground, life is good, even with fresh snow. And as a former Michigander, and trained by the US Audi Club in ice driving at Georgetown Colorado, I was still a bit surprised.

As Jack said... take some time to learn the quirks, and at 2,500 I'm still breaking it (and me) in. :D
--- --- ---

Still... curiosity got me: with the Nokian Hakkapilita R2s, did you folks purchase the same size as currently on the Bolt, or is there a recommended alternative size?

Reactions: Tokodave

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have yet to see a Bolt in Summit County where I live (Silverthorne), but nice to know there was one here. Do you live in Summit zebraitis. I am in Silverthorne.

Re mice eating wires I have to relate this story about hitchhiking marmots. Happened to me twice: parked my Highlander at a high trailhead. Came back from hike. Drove home. Smoke detector starting going off in garage. Nope: the squeaking was from a marmot in the engine well, who ate the insulation under the hood. Got him out with a hose. As noted, this has happened to me twice! They like the heat from the engine: Yes: another great advantage of the Bolt and its cool engine area -- (tho it can't get to many trailheads).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Do you live in Summit zebraitis. I am in Silverthorne.

Re mice eating wires I have to relate this story about hitchhiking marmots.... Yes: another great advantage of the Bolt and its cool engine area -- (tho it can't get to many trailheads).

1) We have a small condo in Wildernest in Silverthorne - Aspen Shadows complex. My wife and I are Mountain Hosts at Keystone when we have a free weekend. So far no one has gotten upset with us plugging into a condo external power plug overnight, so it's great to get some "free" 110v miles.

And, I checked with the local Chevy dealer in Silverthorne to see if he had a fast charge system. Had a great conversation but the answer was no, they had looked at the cost to start selling Bolts (installing fast charge, training, etc.) and they chose not to make the investment. They said that if they really needed one, they could do a dealer swap and get one without the cost. Kind of a bummer, as every Chevy dealer is a potential free charge location for us... as long as they make that startup investment.

2) So, the rabbit... while at home in Golden, I opened the hood one day and noticed that the wires had been nibbled. A few days later I started the car and had a brake system fault. Since I had planned to drive a few exists up to Walmart in Evergreen and purchase some windshield wiper fluid, I thought I would look when I added fluid. I opened the hood and the rabbit was sitting on top the "engine". He had gone along for the 60 MPH ride!

The bad news was that yes, he had chewed clean through the wires. The good news is that I was able to coax the rabbit out, and he now resides in the Walmart parking lot area. No new wires chewed so far! :D

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
As Jack said... take some time to learn the quirks, and at 2,500 I'm still breaking it (and me) in. Still... curiosity got me: with the Nokian Hakkapilita R2s, did you folks purchase the same size as currently on the Bolt, or is there a recommended alternative size?
FWIW, there were no locally available 17" wheels, so I found a set of like-new Cruze 16" steelies with wheelcovers for $100 and mounted the 16" Nokians I had bought for one of our Saabs.

jack vines

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FWIW, there were no locally available 17" wheels, so I found a set of like-new Cruze 16" steelies with wheelcovers for $100 and mounted the 16" Nokians I had bought for one of our Saabs.

jack vines
Jack, Found a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 with 3000 miles on them, mounted on 16" aluminum rims that fit a Chevy Volt. AND the TPS is already in the rims, and lugnuts included. While the Nokians are great, the Michelins are right up there as well. if I can pull this off for under $500, then it's a deal

·
Registered
43 Posts
Still... curiosity got me: with the Nokian Hakkapilita R2s, did you folks purchase the same size as currently on the Bolt, or is there a recommended alternative size?
Same size as stock mounted on original wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Same size as stock mounted on original wheels.
Looking at that size, unless I am missing a screaming deal somewhere, that is about $800 for just the 4 tires.

OTOH, the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 that I found are 215 60r 16, which is very near OEM size (taller sidewall), and already mounted w/TPS. The owner says that it is from his Volt, but I need to verify if they are from a Gen2 Volt... if so then the rims are a fit as well.

UPDATE: ****. The set that I had found was from a Gen1 Volt. The Bolt needs a 5-105 pattern, and the Volt Gen1 is 5-115.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fellow Bolt owners,

Hello from a 2017 Sunset Orange Premier Bolt owner in Genesee Colorado.

Decided to pull the trigger and buy a Bolt in 2017 when I was unsure if the new tax rules would remove the Fed tax credit. It didn't, but glad that I made the purchase. Only 2,5000 miles into it so far.

Picture down at Post #6

Here's what I have done since the purchase:

1) Light window tint
2) WeatherTech rigid floor liner
3) Siemens VersiCharge LVL 2 (from Costco, yet to put in subpanel in Garage and connect, current charge is L1 110v)
4) Thule Roof Rack ("feet" that fit the OEM bolt holes, and Aeroblades)
5) Used BMW/MINI roof box (prev. owner custom painted)
6) Battery Wire Repair @ dealership

Yes, # 6 was due to a rabbit that decided that sitting on the "engine" and chewing on the soy-plastic covered wires that go from the ancillary battery would be a great way to pass the time. Luckily that was covered under insurance and only was a $50 copay.

And of course, #'s 4 & 5 reduce distance, but it is a solid trade-off. And if I can open the rear hatch (which my longer box would not allow) then it's a plus for the wife-acceptance-factor. The BMW/MINI roof box (Thule OEM for BWW) will fit snowboards and not hamper the closing of the rear hatch.

So far, nice! (although Chevy did get a laundry list of improvements that they could make in the survey... don't get me started on the negative aspects of the inductive phone charger / USB connection / Android Auto integration... grrr).

Looking forward to an electric AWD (in the meantime likely chains for the heavy winter snows), and the wife wants a convertible... so we will see what Chevy does with the Bolt "platform".

Tip: Never put this thing in "L" and have traction control on while on a slippery snow-covered road. You are not ready for that surprise! :D

Best regards,

Vincent
Hey Vincent! Welcome! Wondering...what dealership did you work with? I am trying to get a Bolt myself and wanted to pull the trigger this weekend, but wasn't able to make it to the dealership.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Vincent! Welcome! Wondering...what dealership did you work with? I am trying to get a Bolt myself and wanted to pull the trigger this weekend, but wasn't able to make it to the dealership.

Emich Chevrolet in Lakewood, CO... Salesperson: Adam Fenimore. 303 986 2233 / [email protected]

Started my inquiry via web /email, secured price and options, followed up with a call that day to reconfirm, showed up the next day to pick up. From deciding to begin to pick-up and driving away was a day.

This dealership knows what they are doing with EV's. Adam was totally up to speed on the Bolt and EV features. (and no, they did not offer me free oil changes. :) )

Reactions: Br4hm4

·
Registered
85 Posts
Emich Chevrolet in Lakewood, CO... Salesperson: Adam Fenimore. 303 986 2233 / [email protected]

Started my inquiry via web /email, secured price and options, followed up with a call that day to reconfirm, showed up the next day to pick up. From deciding to begin to pick-up and driving away was a day.

This dealership knows what they are doing with EV's. Adam was totally up to speed on the Bolt and EV features. (and no, they did not offer me free oil changes. :) )
Wow...hope they are willing to negotiate. Their prices seem to be substantially higher than the rest of the Denver area.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts