Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New user here. I'm looking to buy a plug-in 32 amp charger for my garage. The Amazing Fast costs $484 whereas the HCS-40P is $589. Other than the fact the latter allows you to wrap the cord around it, I can't see much difference to justify the price difference. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Clipper Creek has a great reputation but you might want to check out the Grizzl-e from Canada. UL approved also but $419. Don't forget to claim your 30% federal tax credit for EVSEs installed in 2020. There is no difference between the two models C.C. except one is actually portable if you need to travel with it.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
New user here.
Welcome to the forum. The AmazingE Fast looks more like the one that came with the car (which is also a Clipper Creek product). The HCS unit looks like the ones I've seen hardwired in outdoor public places.

I'm still using the charge cord that came with the car which I've plugged in to 240V using an adapter. Being retired, it was more than sufficient to meet my needs.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm still using the charge cord that came with the car which I've plugged in to 240V using an adapter. Being retired, it was more than sufficient to meet my needs.
I always suggest to new users to at least try the OEM EVSE before investing in an aftermarket EVSE. With an EV with 250 miles of range, unless there is an unusual circumstance such as a 150 mile RT commute, or extremely cheap time of use electricity, the OEM EVSE at 12 amps will cover virtually all charging needs. And it comes with the car so there isn't an immediate additional investment.

I guess I'm jaded with EVSEs in general. Somehow a GCFI extension cord with a $20 contactor and some trivial electronics has become a $500 product that folks feel they cannot live without. No one goes out and immediately buys aftermarket tires on a brand new car. So sometimes I scratch my head as to why in the EVSE that comes with the car is ignored and additional funds are invested in an aftermarket product.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I got plug adapters for my OEM EVSE and 240v 12A works fine but wanted a second EVSE to get 32A charging. I bought a generic "Morec" plug-in EVE for $200 a week ago. I like the additional info I get on the LCD screen with this unit. Works great!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I always suggest to new users to at least try the OEM EVSE before investing in an aftermarket EVSE. With an EV with 250 miles of range, unless there is an unusual circumstance such as a 150 mile RT commute, or extremely cheap time of use electricity, the OEM EVSE at 12 amps will cover virtually all charging needs. And it comes with the car so there isn't an immediate additional investment.

I guess I'm jaded with EVSEs in general. Somehow a GCFI extension cord with a $20 contactor and some trivial electronics has become a $500 product that folks feel they cannot live without. No one goes out and immediately buys aftermarket tires on a brand new car. So sometimes I scratch my head as to why in the EVSE that comes with the car is ignored and additional funds are invested in an aftermarket product.

ga2500ev
1)Because if your OEM EVSE bites the dust you may have few options. I personally do not want to drive to the local food COOP and leave my car overnight. 2) As you mentioned, some people want time of day charging for cheaper night time rates. Smart EVSEs allow this. This is no small matter in some areas 3) Sometimes spontaneous trips are called for. I'd rather not leave my car at 100% all the time so I have that option to top off to hilltop reserve and be able to get to 100% very quickly with 32 amps. 4) A 24 or 32 amp portable model gives you many more options on the road. State parks and RV parks now become L2 charging sites. If you do any long range trips having plans A, B & C are mandatory. A portable 32 amp EVSE is a great plan C. You may just need 50 miles to get to your destination and that is only a two hour stop. And you are wrong about the tires. Several posters here did just that.

I agree that EVSEs in general are way overpriced. That's why you should take advantage of Uncle Sam's 30% discount this year.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Back to the OP's question,"What am I missing"
Do they both supply 32 amps?
If so, the only difference is cord management and weatherproofing. If you can work around those issues, then get the cheaper one.
And like RichardC said, don't forget the 30% federal tax credit. I think the credit also applies to installation.

·
Registered
165 Posts
What about the Tesla Universal Mobile Charger with the Tesla Tap or JDapter? If you’re gonna spend money on one of these things, doesn’t this give you the greatest on-the-road charging flexibility?

And with the tax credit, if you buy the UMC and Tesla Tap in a single purchase do you get the 30% on all of it ... or does it only apply to the charging unit itself?

·
Registered
318 Posts
What about the Tesla Universal Mobile Charger with the Tesla Tap or JDapter? If you’re gonna spend money on one of these things, doesn’t this give you the greatest on-the-road charging flexibility?

And with the tax credit, if you buy the UMC and Tesla Tap in a single purchase do you get the 30% on all of it ... or does it only apply to the charging unit itself?
The only problem with this scheme is proving to the IRS that you need the Tesla Tap as part of your home charging infrastructure if you get audited. Most likely no one there will know the difference but technically the T. Tap is an off site accessory like an extra pair of socks.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

Tesla UMC $275 + TeslaTap ~$200, that's about $500. That's pretty pricey for a portable EVSE.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a Clipper Creek HCS-40P installed in my garage, about 2 weeks ago, to charge my new 2020 Bolt. I am very happy with it. Shop around for installation prices. The electrician recommended by Clipper Creek wanted $2,300 to install. I found someone else who was $1,000 less. Also, when I called Clipper Creek in February, they told me that shipping times to the east coast were 4 to 5 days ( I live near Philadelphia ). Took 11 days to ship, via UPS Ground. Leave yourself plenty of time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
1)Because if your OEM EVSE bites the dust you may have few options. I personally do not want to drive to the local food COOP and leave my car overnight. 2) As you mentioned, some people want time of day charging for cheaper night time rates. Smart EVSEs allow this. This is no small matter in some areas 3) Sometimes spontaneous trips are called for. I'd rather not leave my car at 100% all the time so I have that option to top off to hilltop reserve and be able to get to 100% very quickly with 32 amps. 4) A 24 or 32 amp portable model gives you many more options on the road. State parks and RV parks now become L2 charging sites. If you do any long range trips having plans A, B & C are mandatory. A portable 32 amp EVSE is a great plan C. You may just need 50 miles to get to your destination and that is only a two hour stop. And you are wrong about the tires. Several posters here did just that.

I agree that EVSEs in general are way overpriced. That's why you should take advantage of Uncle Sam's 30% discount this year.
Aso check you local energy utility for rebates/subsidies. Mine covered 85% of the cost of my new JuiceBox.

·
Registered
221 Posts
New user here. I'm looking to buy a plug-in 32 amp charger for my garage. The Amazing Fast costs $484 whereas the HCS-40P is $589. Other than the fact the latter allows you to wrap the cord around it, I can't see much difference to justify the price difference. What am I missing here?
Clipper Creek has good customer support and reply quickly from my experience. I would recommend reaching out to them to explain what possible differences they may have between those models. Internally.
Do they use different parts?
Do they find better longevity from the wall unit vs the portable units due to better cooling?
It’s worth a shot just to see what they say.

I have the hcs-40p; very pleased so far; only 6 months of use though. I mainly purchased based on their reputation and in hopes it lasts a long time relative to other manufacturers.
I didnt have a need for a portable unit other than the oem, so it didnt factor into my choice.

At the time of my purchase, I hadnt discovered the amazing-e units; but will say they used to be ~33-40% cheaper than they are now that they are selling directly from clipper creek. I don’t know what changed with them from when they used to sell them independently (other than price!)
good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
447 Posts

1) There's no evidence that EVSEs just sponteaneouly fail. In fact more OEM EVSEs are rebadged ClipperCreeks.
2) I've already conceeded.
3) How sponteaeous a trip would one have in a 200+ mile EV that's filled to a 90% SOC that one would actually need that final 10% with no other options? I drive a low range EV and understand the concept. But I just cannot see someone jetting off 160 miles away with no charging options and no planning.
4) I cannot personally answer for this one. Can anyone speak to the utility of carrying a high powered EVSE on the road? I first though about when I was considering a Bolt 3 years ago as there were no DCFC stations along the routes I would take the vehicle. But with EA stations in virtually every direction now, L2 charging would be the backup to the backup to the backup on a roadtrip now.

As someone who has used their OEM EVSE pretty much everyday since purchasing my vehicle, I just find it confusing that it's instantaneously deemed useless because it doesn't provide maximum power all the time.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
928 Posts
I would probably get the cheaper of the clipper creek options... but the Telsa adapter setup is appealing because of thousands of destination chargers. The Jdapter/Tap could come in handy.

Believe everything ga2500ev says. Factory evse on 240v covers 99% of use cases. Half a tank in 10hrs. My backup to the chevy EVSE is the supermarket's fast chargers. I'm actually somebody who values having backup plans, and I have a dozen backups minutes from my front door. In the unlikely event my evse fails and I have to wait a whole two or three days for shipping my Jdapter/Tap.. I will charge at Trader Joe's as needed.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I am actually one that cautions against the Tesla/ jdapter as the primary solution.

The person that started the thread advocating that option has had issues with a dead 12V battery while plugged in. To me that sure sounds like a compatibility issue. Clearly using the Tesla EVSE to charge the Bolt is not a use case that Tesla tests or guarantees to even work.

I do like the Tesla tap/ Jdapter for travel as there are many Tesla destination chargers at hotels available for use. Personally I like the included Bolt evse with an adapter for 240V, or a juicebox, clippercreek, or chargepoint home level 2 EVSE.

This site is a good starting point

·
Registered
318 Posts
1) There's no evidence that EVSEs just sponteaneouly fail. In fact more OEM EVSEs are rebadged ClipperCreeks.
2) I've already conceeded.
3) How sponteaeous a trip would one have in a 200+ mile EV that's filled to a 90% SOC that one would actually need that final 10% with no other options? I drive a low range EV and understand the concept. But I just cannot see someone jetting off 160 miles away with no charging options and no planning.
4) I cannot personally answer for this one. Can anyone speak to the utility of carrying a high powered EVSE on the road? I first though about when I was considering a Bolt 3 years ago as there were no DCFC stations along the routes I would take the vehicle. But with EA stations in virtually every direction now, L2 charging would be the backup to the backup to the backup on a roadtrip now.

As someone who has used their OEM EVSE pretty much everyday since purchasing my vehicle, I just find it confusing that it's instantaneously deemed useless because it doesn't provide maximum power all the time.

ga2500ev
You really want to do this? Please, stay confused for everyone else's sake if you don't understand that there many different life stories and many different locations where people live, from cities to remote areas to rural towns and places they may need to travel to. Because you can't imagine the places I want to travel to does not mean they don't exist. When I go south, my most prevalent trip, there is no DCFC for about 130 miles and that single station is usually down. There is a plethora of state parks however and with a seasonal pass I could cop a quick charge for free. Did you go on the road in your ICE trusting that there would be one and only one gas station to fill up at? No, I didn't think so. Have you almost got stuck because your two main charge plans went kapput? I have, and I was darn glad I had my 16-24-32 amp portable with me. This is my charging planning. How spontaneous you ask? Just last week my friend woke me up at 4 am to take her to the hospital. She lives in rural Oregon 262 miles from me. Couldn't even take the Bolt because I can't trust DCFC along the way and couldn't take the time to top off at home. Thank-god for options and that is why I keep my little Fiat 500 gassed up under a cover.

So, I'm so glad you use you coffee grounds twice and darn your socks. And besides, no one is deeming the OEM useless. I use it for 99% of my charging. But once on a 250 mile trip I forgot it and when I got to my friend's house out came the portable. You see, options. After buying a $35K car a $350 32amp EVSE is a drop in the bucket considering all the gas I'm not buying for the rest of my life. No big deal.

Everything electrical that is not a wire fails. And sometimes they do too.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think we're talking past each other. It's perfectly fine for someone to make a reasoned informed decision to upgrade their EVSE. But go back and read every opening post of every novice that has wandered in here. It's literally "I've bought a Bolt and if I don't get a high powered EVSE right now the car isn't going to work!" level of urgency. And everyone else who loves their Tesla UMC or Juicebox immediately jumps in and shares how to spend $500 (with a 30% federal rebate) and $1200 for wiring and installation. Virtually no one even bothers to ask the question "Have you tried the EVSE that comes with the car?"

I have my reasons and you have yours. Both are well determined from experience. Novices don't have that. They have a created expectation, anxiety of the unknown, and FOMO. Taking a breath just to figure out the lay of the land isn't a bad idea. Once someone has some experience, then they, like us, can make a reasoned determination of their needs.

But to reiterate. EVSEs don't generally break. People generally don't travel with them anymore. Situations where folks actually need a large charge quickly, especially with a 250 mile EV, is rare. All I'm saying is that there's no need to panic on a purchase and just try the EVSE that comes with the car.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I mainly just wanted to have 2 EVSE on hand. It was a no brainer to buy a 32A version instead of trying to save $50 for a 16A version.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts