Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
I mainly just wanted to have 2 EVSE on hand. It was a no brainer to buy a 32A version instead of trying to save $50 for a 16A version.
Point is that it's a want, not a need. I feel as a community we need to stop telling novices that they need to go and buy another EVSE immediately. I'm not saying that it's not a want. Or even that they may have a need for another unit. But even a brief pause to the kneejerk "I have to upgrade to max speed now!" needs to be put forth to novices instead of feeding their paranoia that their EV isn't going to be usable unless they invest hundreds or thousands of dollars on upgrading their EVSE.

I'm just trying to get folks to see that novices often don't know that there are other options that they may want to explore first. That often they don't realize that they really don't have to carry an EVSE in the car 24/7. Or even understand the possibly wide selection of public charging stations that actually exist around them. Because of this they often grab onto the idea of a high powered home EVSE like a drowning person to a life ring. I know that most veterans here did not make their decisions out of panic, fear, and ignorance. But often that's the emotions that novices are experiencing even though we can see that they are in fact in 2 feet of water and can just stand up.

Manufacturers feed that fear too. When GM publishes "It can take 60 hours to fully charge a Bolt with the standard EVSE at 120V." that immediately puts novices on alert because they think that cannot use their cars for 60 hours in a normal situation. So then they invest in the upgrade and 99% of the time the car finishes charging in an hour or two everyday because the commute is 50 miles, which could have easily been recovered even at 120V overnight. So resources are overallocated out of fear and ignorance.

So I just advising to tell new people to take a breath and evaluate their real needs before pulling the trigger. To test a stage and evaluate its effectiveness for them before deciding to move up. That there are other options and that they should at least try them. To make informed decisions, not kneejerk ones.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
After buying a $35K car a $350 32amp EVSE is a drop in the bucket considering all the gas I'm not buying for the rest of my life. No big deal.
Everything electrical that is not a wire fails. And sometimes they do too.
I do agree with all of your post, but I want to assure you that you paid for a lot of gas in battery $ equivalence.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
People here sure push the Clipper Creek, to me the title of this post should be; "Why would I buy the Clipper Creek?" I'm not referring to portable units but those of us that installed a fixed station in our garages? Or similar spaces. I mean, the Juice Box does load sharing, if you're embracing EV's and think it's the future. I do, though skeptical on the ROI. But why not get a charger that is willing to talk to a 2nd charger in the odd chance that in 5 years you get a 2nd EV and want autonomous charging harmony? Just curious. All things being equal, I don't personally recall either not being reliable and both seem to be made quite well. Is it that the Juice Box has too much tech and Bolt people prefer less tech? I'm the odd duck, I think the tech in the Bolt sucks yet I do love my Bolt.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Preach on ga2500ev... the gospel I've been trying to spread.

Whoever really wants a fast charger should get one. I think we're all on the same page there. I also agree if you're shelling out hundreds already for a 16a you should probably just pony up $50 more for a 32a. Just don't lie to yourself and pretend you "NEED" this for 50 miles a day.. when your EV is parked 12 hours a night in your driveway.

My aunt has a huge charger on her garage wall. She had no idea she didn't need it... this is why I stick my nose in to these threads. For the noobs sake. Her unused Chevy evse would have served her well.

I am actually one that cautions against the Tesla/ jdapter as the primary solution.

The person that started the thread advocating that option has had issues with a dead 12V battery while plugged in. To me that sure sounds like a compatibility issue. Clearly using the Tesla EVSE to charge the Bolt is not a use case that Tesla tests or guarant
Don't know enough to aruge against this point but it sure doesn't sound correct.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I do agree with all of your post, but I want to assure you that you paid for a lot of gas in battery $ equivalence.
I know, I know...but judging by the used Nissan Leaf battery market I can get 2/3 of that back when I sell my battery bank as a power wall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
New user here. I'm looking to buy a plug-in 32 amp charger for my garage. The Amazing Fast costs $484 whereas the HCS-40P is $589. Other than the fact the latter allows you to wrap the cord around it, I can't see much difference to justify the price difference. What am I missing here?
HCS-40 is what I have and I love it. It will charge at the full 32 amps and has been flawless. The Amazing-E only runs on 20 amps I believe

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had Clipper Creek since Oct 2014 when I bought a Nissan Leaf then I traded to a 2017 Chevy Bolt in Sept 2017 and my Clipper Creek started to die in July 2019 outside the 3yr warranty .
The relay would not engage all the time but unplug and plug in again would get the relay in charger to stay engaged. Clipper Creek was able to send me a refurbished unit first which I installed myself and sent the old one back myself ended up costing $150 for the replacement . We'll see if this one lasts longer . I'm pleased with clipper creek

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is a bit of a tangent, but when pricing EVSEs, don't rule out used ones. This week I picked up an 8 month old HCS-40P off Facebook Marketplace for $175. A few months ago I picked up an ICS-20 for $100, and the OEM EVSE from a Ford Focus EV for $75. All of these units were in like new condition and work perfectly. EVs and plug in hybrids have become common enough for these things to turn up used. Nobody should be dependent on a single EVSE or have to worry about a questionable quality unit from an iffy supplier.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Second looking at Ebay. I've picked up a a convertible TurboCord (non-recalled) for pretty cheap. Bought a refurbished JuiceBox for a good discount off new too.

Spend $10 to make an 240V adapter for the CliperCreek EVSE that came with the Bolt regardless of which big unit you buy, just in case.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts