Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Bolt owner here, looking at installing a Level 2 charger that will qualify for a $500 DTE rebate.

My choices are as follows:
-- ChargePoint CPH25
-- Enel X Juicebox Pro 32
-- Enel X Juicebox Pro 40

What's the best choice from a performance/cost standpoint? I generally drive no more than 120 miles a day, and sometimes as little as 10-20 miles.

I also own a Volt and have gotten by until now with a simple plug-in Level 1 charger. I'm admittedly pretty ignorant about Level 2 chargers, so any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Under normal circumstances I would start here:

Do you have access to a 240V circuit? If so, given that that 120V charge on the Volt worked for you, before buying a L2 EVSE try working with the OEM EVSE on that 240V circuit which will charge at twice the speed you were charging your Volt. At 2.88kW it'll recover 120 miles in about a 10 hour charge.

But since you seem to be getting a free L2 EVSE with the rebate the Juicebox 40 is likely the best deal. Even though the Bolt won't take advantage of the extra juice, it leaves room for upgrades later with other EVs down the line. Other than that you should decide based on the capacity of the 240V circuit. If it's 40A for example, then get the JB32 and leave the JB40 for another time.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
349 Posts
For OP’s driving habits, I recommend getting the cheapest charger that qualifies for the rebate. Anything else is spending extra money early.

Your usage just doesn’t dictate spending more. 120 miles in a single day is 4.5hrs of charging which is nothing for overnight of 8-12 hours. You’ll always be topped off in the morning.

All other things are equal. You could spend more money for a 50A circuit to have room to upgrade to a 40A EVSE in the future, but why? You don’t drive enough.

Performance? I don’t know what that means for an EVSE.

The rest is really paying for features like wi-fi or energy tracking or all that naus that just adds complexity. What good is it if you don’t use it or need it? You decide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts