Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in far Western Cornburb of Chicagoland and we do not have many public chargers around. I am just fine plugging in at home on my 110 but it would be nice to have a grocery store around that offers L2 charging.

Who makes these types of decisions? Corporate or store manager? Is there any standard pitch packet for us to give these people?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would try Target. There is a store near me with 4 Chargepoint L2 units that are free for the 1st 2 hours. They are always in use. I would start with Corporate : contact us | Target Corporation
When the units had been non functional for a couple of weeks, I contacted them using the link above and they were working again in a couple of days.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would try Target. There is a store near me with 4 Chargepoint L2 units that are free for the 1st 2 hours. They are always in use. I would start with Corporate : contact us | Target Corporation
When the units had been non functional for a couple of weeks, I contacted them using the link above and they were working again in a couple of days.
This is why I don't think free chargers are worth a darn for drivers. If I can't count on it being available, it might as well not be there. Sure, I might get a few pennies' worth of electricity for "free" (really, while shopping and spending money in the store). But if I cannot count on it being available, I will never use it when I actually need a charge.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is why I don't think free chargers are worth a darn for drivers. If I can't count on it being available, it might as well not be there. Sure, I might get a few pennies' worth of electricity for "free" (really, while shopping and spending money in the store). But if I cannot count on it being available, I will never use it when I actually need a charge.
I wouldn't disagree. Fortunately there are literally 100+ pay stations within the business parks around the shopping center and hundreds of EVs. (I've got 2) There is also a 16 stall supercharger across the parking lot, and a dozen of so free units in the parking garage across the street in an adjacent shopping center. Kind of embarrassing how much infrastructure we have.

·
Registered
576 Posts
To convince them to go to the expense of installing EVSEs, you would have to convince them that it would result in more business.
This would be a very difficult sell, given that an hour at an L2 station would get a Bolt owner around 6kwh, or less than a dollars' worth of electricity (YMMV).
Would EV owners change their shopping habits for such a small bonus? I doubt it, and I guarantee that those stations would be constantly in use, because people will try to use it as an all-day EV parking spot. I'd expect converting all-vehicle parking spaces to charging slots would piss off more people than it pleases in many parts of the country.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Seems that some Walmarts near freeways in rural areas have been getting EVgo DC charging stations. Seems like those Walmarts do not have a shortage of parking, so they may get a bit of extra business from road tripping EV drivers looking for a charge.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Seems that some Walmarts near freeways in rural areas have been getting EVgo DC charging stations. Seems like those Walmarts do not have a shortage of parking, so they may get a bit of extra business from road tripping EV drivers looking for a charge.
I think you mean Electrify America - I wasn’t aware of EVgo chargers at rural Walmart’s? I certainly have shopped more (as in, at all) at Walmart since they partnered with EA. But those are far from free. They cost 3x as much as at home, about the same as gas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How far west? I see that Volta chargers are starting to show up throughout the Chicago metro area, including Walgreens in Saint Charles and Geneva, a mall in West Dundee, and more.

Their business model seems to be to ask large stores, movie theaters and malls to give them a few parking spaces; they'll install and manage the chargers and pay for the electricity in exchange for having a big flashy advertising LCD next to each spot. The host gets to show off their green cred, and perhaps get more visitors, for no cash outlay. They have a contact us to host chargers link on their website.

My wife and I have a movie subscription pass, and on the 1st we went to see two movies at a theater with Volta chargers. I joked that it was the cheapest date ever, since we came out with a full battery and our total cash outlay was a 25c toll.

If you're too far into corn country for Volta at this stage of their deployment, you might have more luck with town governments, business improvement districts, or co-op electric utilities. They either can say that the charger will bring shoppers to all of the downtown businesses, or that it's just a good thing to do, and they can be better positioned to get grant money from the state or other sources than a single store can.

I see (randomly, for instance) that in DeKalb there's a Chargepoint dual-headed charger at the Kishawaukee Water Reclamation District office, across the road from a Jewel-Osco. You'd have a little farther to carry your groceries.

I worry that a supermarket manager, acting alone without support from corporate or an outside contractor, is unlikely to take the time to properly manage the installation and maintenance of free L2 chargers. The supermarket nearest my mother-in-law's has two GE WattStation chargers right up front, with prominent "EV Only" signage, that have ground-faulted immediately when you plug in for the past two years. A single store can't make it someone's full time job to put in and take care of chargers, so unless there's an enthusiast on staff who'll volunteer to do it and has the budget to call an electrician when needed, we'll all be better off if someone centrally manages them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think you mean Electrify America - I wasn’t aware of EVgo chargers at rural Walmart’s? I certainly have shopped more (as in, at all) at Walmart since they partnered with EA. But those are far from free. They cost 3x as much as at home, about the same as gas.
Based on Plugshare, here are some Walmarts with EVgo DC charging. It looks like there are lots in California, some in Colorado. Quick looks suggest that some clusters of EVgo (e.g. Cincinnati, OH, Cleveland, OH) have Walmart locations, but others (e.g. Chicago, IL, Milwaukee, WI, Detroit, MI, Pittsburgh, PA, Phoenix, AZ, Dallas, TX, Houston, TX, Seattle, WA) do not. They are not free.

American Canyon, CA (CA-29)
Antioch, CA (CA-4)
Aurora, CO (I-70)
Bakersfield, CA (CA-99)
Castle Rock, CO (I-25)
Chino, CA (CA-71)
Chula Vista, CA (CA-125)
City of Industry, CA (CA-60)
Colorado Springs, CO (CO-21)
Corona, CA (I-15)
Delano, CA (CA-99)
Dixon, CA (I-80)
Duarte, CA (I-210)
Fairfield, CA (I-80)
Fontana, CA (CA-66)
Fountain, CO (I-25)
Glendora, CA (I-210)
Hemet, CA (CA-74)
Highland, CA (CA-330)
Huntington Beach, CA (CA-39)
La Habra, CA (CA-39)
Milpitas, CA (I-880, CA-237)
Monument, CO (I-25)
Murrietta, CA (I-15)
Oceanside, CA (CA-76)
Ontario, CA (I-10)
Perris, CA (I-215)
Pomona, CA (CA-60, CA-71)
Portland, OR (I-5, I-84)
Redlands, CA (I-10)
Rialto, CA (I-10)
Riverside, CA (CA-91)
Rogers, AR (Sam's Club) (I-49)
San Bernardino, CA (I-215)
San Diego, CA (CA-94)
San Jacinto, CA (CA-79)
San Jose (CA-85)
Santa Rosa, CA (US-101)
Upland, CA (CA-66)
West Sacramento, CA (I-80)
Woodland, WA (I-5)

·
Registered
494 Posts
This is the first I've heard of EVgo at Walmart then. In my experience, EVgos are unreliable. When they do have problems, they tend to be done for 4-6 months at a time. I've very happy that EA is popping up in many (but not all!) places I travel. For example, I rely on EVgo when I travel to VT. I have a ski trip planned in two weeks, but all of the EVgos seem to be out of order, with nothing but L2s available along the route once I get to the state line.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes,everyone hates 25-50 miles of range for free. So if there is no guarantee prior to arriving, you won't consider shopping there? Just want to be sure I understand where you're coming from.

·
Registered
206 Posts
To convince them to go to the expense of installing EVSEs, you would have to convince them that it would result in more business.
This would be a very difficult sell, given that an hour at an L2 station would get a Bolt owner around 6kwh, or less than a dollars' worth of electricity (YMMV).
Would EV owners change their shopping habits for such a small bonus? I doubt it, and I guarantee that those stations would be constantly in use, because people will try to use it as an all-day EV parking spot. I'd expect converting all-vehicle parking spaces to charging slots would piss off more people than it pleases in many parts of the country.
It's not about $1 worth of electricity, its about adding 25 miles of range. On a trip I planned returning from Maryland to Florida,I saw a WM at an I-95 exit that had a dedicated 4 spot charging area beside to building, away from ICE vehicles. It looked like an ideal set up.
I wouldn't say its necessarily about changing shopping habits so much. I can always find a few things to buy at WM. Now making a dedicated trip to WM for a free charge is out of the question of course. My local WM,if it had a charging station, would rarely if ever be in use. I have lived in this area for 4 years and my Bolt is the 1st EV I've seen. We have a popular burger joint named Culver's that has a charger,but its about 15 miles away in Ft. Myers. I understand its popular with the Tesla crowd.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It's not about $1 worth of electricity, its about adding 25 miles of range. On a trip I planned returning from Maryland to Florida,I saw a WM at an I-95 exit that had a dedicated 4 spot charging area beside to building, away from ICE vehicles. It looked like an ideal set up.
I wouldn't say its necessarily about changing shopping habits so much. I can always find a few things to buy at WM. Now making a dedicated trip to WM for a free charge is out of the question of course. My local WM,if it had a charging station, would rarely if ever be in use. I have lived in this area for 4 years and my Bolt is the 1st EV I've seen. We have a popular burger joint named Culver's that has a charger,but its about 15 miles away in Ft. Myers. I understand its popular with the Tesla crowd.
I'm not personally convinced that the number of people that visit and travel just for a free charge is a significant number. I think those pulling into WM were going anyway. P7 mentioned that he goes out in search of free charging but I think that's the 1% club. I expect the gripper crowd to be the dominant in this scenario, they love anything free.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yeah, I just wish California didn't lead the country in debt too. Someone is paying for all these incentives and free give aways.
Savings on the backend in lower than otherwise spending in healthcare. ;)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'm not personally convinced that the number of people that visit and travel just for a free charge is a significant number. I think those pulling into WM were going anyway. P7 mentioned that he goes out in search of free charging but I think that's the 1% club. I expect the gripper crowd to be the dominant in this scenario, they love anything free.
1%, yep. haha

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yes,everyone hates 25-50 miles of range for free. So if there is no guarantee prior to arriving, you won't consider shopping there? Just want to be sure I understand where you're coming from.
If you want to understand where I am coming from, why did you start your post by putting words in my mouth that I never said?

Never did I state nor imply that anyone hates getting a free charge. Quite the opposite - everyone loves it, and therefore abuses it. It cannot be about gaining 25-50 miles of range while on a trip simply because you cannot count on it being available. So by definition, you only really use it when you don't need it. Again because if you actually need the charge, you'll plan on going somewhere more reliable, or at least have one or two backup options.

And nor did I say that I wouldn't shop there. In fact, I have shopped or eaten at particular stores and restaurants simply because they do have a charger. But again, that's not a situation in which I needed a charge.

If I charge at home, I pay $0.12/kWh. Most public L2 chargers around me are nominally 208V / 30A. That's a whopping 6kW. So in an hour, I've saved literally $0.72. Pennies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In Chicagoland...I am honestly not a fan of the 100% free chargers at shopping/eating locations. They need to be more on a comp system if you make a purchase. With giving out free energy there is no incentive to install more charging locations after the first set just to say they have them. This comp system would also give an incentive to the businesses to install more chargers if their spots are all taken with actual shoppers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts