Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how many people are planning on picking up Bolts this month that aren't CA/OR residents.

I'm one such person. Plan is to buy from a SoCal dealer, and then have the Bolt shipped back to MD. Anyone else doing that? If so, post where you are getting your Bolt from, and where you are located! :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
How much more does it cost to have them ship it to MD? I had assumed people who are buying out of state would drive it home and make a road trip out of it.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much more does it cost to have them ship it to MD? I had assumed people who are buying out of state would drive it home and make a road trip out of it.
Cost should be in the $800-850 range for an open transport.

Honestly, if I was single and had about 7 days of leave to spare, I might actually take delivery in CA and find a way to drive the Bolt back home. But then I'd have to pay 9% CA tax (versus 6% MD tax)....along with the cost of a 1 way ticket and 7 days of leave I don't have.

Paying to have it shipped will actually be cheaper than picking up in Cali and driving it back (not to mention the time/energy saved). MD tax + shipping would still be almost $600 less than paying CA tax alone. No thanks! :p

·
Registered
39 Posts

Honestly, if I was single and had about 7 days of leave to spare, I might actually take delivery in CA and find a way to drive the Bolt back home. But then I'd have to pay 9% CA tax (versus 6% MD tax)....along with the cost of a 1 way ticket and 7 days of leave I don't have.

Paying to have it shipped will actually be cheaper than picking up in Cali and driving it back (not to mention the time/energy saved). MD tax + shipping would still be almost $600 less than paying CA tax alone. No thanks! :p
I'm in MD too. I'll be watching how it goes for you and may be asking you for advice later should I end up going a similar route.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
$800-850 is a lot cheaper than I was expecting and definitely the better choice financially. Originally thought it would be around $1000. If this works out for you, then more member may follow in your footsteps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im in TX and I'm using DSR leasing to order, lease and ship. He has told me 650-700. My TPW is 12/19 (using Camino Real Chevrolet). Hopefully, it will be next to my '17 Volt by Mid January.

Rob

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

As much as it could help boost acceptance for the Bolt, it could backfire. The Bolt is not intended for trips beyond your 100 mile home radius, especially outside the west coast. Use Plugshare or EVtripplanner and see how many CCS chargers are on route. Then figure you will max out your range to about 160 miles due to freeway speeds, wind, hills, buffer for when you get to the charger and realize that;
1. Most are single chargers
2. It may be occupied
3. It may be broken
4. It may be ICEd
You will probably be using Level 2 chargers as much as CCS, but the bright side is that you can find them for free at grocery stores/restaurants. If you start a gofundme campaign, i'll chip in $20 and throw in another $20 if you can do it in a week. I love road trips but that would be torture. Good luck which ever way you go.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As much as it could help boost acceptance for the Bolt, it could backfire. The Bolt is not intended for trips beyond your 100 mile home radius, especially outside the west coast. Use Plugshare or EVtripplanner and see how many CCS chargers are on route. Then figure you will max out your range to about 160 miles due to freeway speeds, wind, hills, buffer for when you get to the charger and realize that;
1. Most are single chargers
2. It may be occupied
3. It may be broken
4. It may be ICEd
You will probably be using Level 2 chargers as much as CCS, but the bright side is that you can find them for free at grocery stores/restaurants. If you start a gofundme campaign, i'll chip in $20 and throw in another $20 if you can do it in a week. I love road trips but that would be torture. Good luck which ever way you go.
CCS coverage is not really an issue in MD. ;)

L2 + CCS in MD:

Even road trips to Grandma's house in CT look fine with the current CCS infrastruture, not even considering future stations:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Once there's a good amount on the way to Gradmas house... that's the most important.

Seriously though, there are a lot more than I honestly expected. That's pretty darn wicked

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once there's a good amount on the way to Gradmas house... that's the most important.

Seriously though, there are a lot more than I honestly expected. That's pretty darn wicked
For comparison, here is the Tesla Supercharger presence in MD. Ehhhhhh......

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try Vegas to Tennesse only CCS. BTW, I think Tesla has an adapter for CCS also as well as between 4-12 charging booths per location. You really aren't going to try and compare the supercharger network with CCS are you?
Nope, there is no CCS adapter for Teslas.

Also forgot to mention that there will soon be an adapter that will let any EV use a Tesla destination charger. Those could come in handy for Bolt owners! ;)

I don't ever drive from Vegas to Tenn, so I don't care. :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Also forgot to mention that there will soon be an adapter that will let any EV use a Tesla destination charger. Those could come in handy for Bolt owners! ;)
Tesla destination chargers are L2. The Bolt will charge from them at 7.2 (7.7?) kW.
Usefulness will be limited (in my opinion). Most likely scenario is a hotel/resort/B&B may have one - Tesla gives them (for free) to those types of establishments. Worth $200 to have one to carry around? Not me

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Nope, there is no CCS adapter for Teslas.

I don't ever drive from Vegas to Tenn, so I don't care. :)
the original post was about driving from SoCal to Md.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im in TX and I'm using DSR leasing to order, lease and ship. He has told me 650-700. My TPW is 12/19 (using Camino Real Chevrolet). Hopefully, it will be next to my '17 Volt by Mid January.

Rob
Rob, according to my info, only CA and OR residents can lease (says so right in internal GM Financial documents). If you are planning to lease your Bolt in Texas, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise!

If you are buying outright, then you are good.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Rob, according to my info, only CA and OR residents can lease (says so right in internal GM Financial documents). If you are planning to lease your Bolt in Texas, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise!

If you are buying outright, then you are good.
Financing may not be thru GM Financial???

·
Registered
182 Posts
So who are the good dealers in So Cal. Want to ship to Az.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So who are the good dealers in So Cal. Want to ship to Az.
Try Rydell in Northridge. That's where I'm getting my Bolt from. They may have a couple of Bolts unreserved coming in on the first shipment.

Guy I've been dealing with is Bob Torres - (818) 266-4678 is his cell, and he responds to texts quickly. Tell him you got his info from the guy in MD. :p

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rydell & Keyes in Southern, CA
I initially had a deposit in at Keyes. However, after personal dealings with the GM (think stereotypical sleazy car dealer) and a Facebook post of someone showing a screenshot of an email from a Keyes salesperson saying the Keyes general manager/owner wanted OVER MSRP, I switched to Rydell. They are offering at least $1k off a fully loaded Bolt as a dealer discount.
Told Keyes to rip my deposit check up.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts