Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first real road trip is tomorrow. Looking at my route, there are 3 EA sites, of which I will need 2. My dilemma: the EA app shows 1, 1, and 0 chargers available at the moment, while Plugshare shows 4, 4, and 8 (all) available. Which should I believe?

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
My first real road trip is tomorrow. Looking at my route, there are 3 EA sites, of which I will need 2. My dilemma: the EA app shows 1, 1, and 0 chargers available at the moment, while Plugshare shows 4, 4, and 8 (all) available. Which should I believe?
Sadly, EA's numbers look about right from my experience

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly, EA's numbers look about right from my experience
If that turns out to be true, this Bolt will soon be up for sale. A car that can only travel 1 "tankful" of miles from home is of little value to me.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Which chargers are you looking at? Can you be specific?

Regardless, if chargers are down at a site that you want to use, report it through the app and request them to contact you. They might be able to reboot them ahead of time or send out a technician to reboot the site before you arrive.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which chargers are you looking at? Can you be specific?

Regardless, if chargers are down at a site that you want to use, report it through the app and request them to contact you. They might be able to reboot them ahead of time or send out a technician to reboot the site before you arrive.
EA sites at Tomah, WI, Eau Claire, WI and Woodbury, MN. I will be checking again before I leave in the morning. Thanks Eric.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Plugshare shows recent successful check-ins on the first two. So you should be good to go.

Do you have it set to show you CHAdeMO availability, by chance? That would explain the numbers as there is only 1 per site and Plugshare shows the Woodbury CHAdeMO plug as offline.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Toyotiac I'd put a lot of weight on recent recharging reports for the sites you are interested in.

Best of luck in your travels and please let us know how it went.

Rich

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Plugshare will show DCFC by Chargepoint and others too. I would load Chargepoint, EA, EVGo to be able to see real time availability at each 'branded' DCDC stations.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Tomah, WI,
Well, Wisconsin looks good. Somebody in a Bolt charged in Eau Claire, and Tomah today, and there is a free 50 kW backup charger right next door to the one in Tomah that a Bolt charged at ten days ago. On Plugshare, EA said the CHAdeMO was down, but the CCS units are up in Woodbury, MN as of yesterday. I'd go based on what I see.

·
Registered
348 Posts
With the EA app, you need to select the site to see the chargers. So for example, if I tap the pin at Tomah, it shows a summary with only 1 CCS and 0 CHAdeMO-CCS. But, if you then tap summary to bring up the individual chargers, it shows 4 chargers available (albeit 2 only with 1 CCS cable each). Eau Claire only shows 3 CCS chargers working (combined charger's CCS port is listed 'unavailable'). Woodbury also shows 4 working chargers (though only 1 CCS port on each one). Would be nice if EA's app were clearer though.

EDIT: I also now see in the app that it shows when the last session for each charger was. Hopefully that means the last 'successful' session, but for each location I see at least one charger had a session today.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the EA app, you need to select the site to see the chargers. So for example, if I tap the pin at Tomah, it shows a summary with only 1 CCS and 0 CHAdeMO-CCS. But, if you then tap summary to bring up the individual chargers, it shows 4 chargers available (albeit 2 only with 1 CCS cable each). Eau Claire only shows 3 CCS chargers working (combined charger's CCS port is listed 'unavailable'). Woodbury also shows 4 working chargers (though only 1 CCS port on each one). Would be nice if EA's app were clearer though.

EDIT: I also now see in the app that it shows when the last session for each charger was. Hopefully that means the last 'successful' session, but for each location I see at least one charger had a session today.
This. A lot of undue apprehension on my part due to unfamiliarity with the app. App showed only half the units available at Tomah, but the first one I connected to started fine and maxed out at 50kW. First unit at Eau Claire failed to initiate after 2 tries, so I tried a 350 which worked and topped out at 53 kW. Used both locations because my destination has changed - now going up past Duluth rather than St. Paul. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
A lot of undue apprehension on my part due to unfamiliarity with the app
Yes. Once you understand the app, things are much easier. I have had a unit work through the app when the screen was dark/dead. Not using the CC reader eliminates half the failures right there. Don't know if you have noticed the light bars on the sides of many EA units yet. Green is good to use, red is not, blue is charging, no lights...assume it is unpowered.

Lastly, don't give up. The folks at the service number are very helpful. I have had occasions where I tried every unit. They ended up rebooting two units before getting one to work for me, but it beat spending the night in a motel.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I have had a unit work through the app when the screen was dark/dead.
How did you figure out which station it was if the screen was dead? I've had to look at the station ID on the screen to figure out which one to activate in the app...

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
How did you figure out which station it was if the screen was dead? I've had to look at the station ID on the screen to figure out which one to activate in the app...
The station numbers are on a decal on the front of the units. You can just see the decal above the screen in this shot. However, the numbers displayed on the app, and the decals on the actual units were in reverse order. The first unit had the last unit's number on the app, etc. The only way I knew it was the right unit, was because it was the one with a CHAdeMO plug.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
The station numbers are on a decal on the front of the units. You can just see the decal above the screen in this shot. However, the numbers displayed on the app, and the decals on the actual units were in reverse order. The first unit had the last unit's number on the app, etc. The only way I knew it was the right unit, was because it was the one with a CHAdeMO plug.
A swing and.... a miss!

The units I charged at didn't have the decals, or perhaps they've added them since I was there last. They're obviously needed, but more of a hindrance than a help unless they're actually correct...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts