Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many of you put down a $1,000 reservation deposit for a Tesla Model 3. In full disclosure, I did. I figure it's refundable, and if I get tired of waiting, or decide to get something else in the meantime, I can back out.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm in Canada and I don't think we have a 200,000 unit limit on rebates so I'm just going to wait and see. If I really want a Model 3, I could always get one later and still get the rebate but the Bolt will probably come first.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes, definitely. I have a reservation number around 300,000, but I'm in CA and would do the larger-battery with AWD. So I might get one in late 2018 or early 2019. I may get a Bolt EV in the meantime, just not sure yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put a deposit down but from what I've been reading, the price point of 35K revealed at the model 3 intro will be for a totally basic model. So, it may be closer to $40-45K with options that would be desirable such as autopilot, supercharging, etc. I think Tesla is a phenomenal automobile but am disappointed that they changed some of the features of the model 3 that were initially listed as standard.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I put a deposit down but from what I've been reading, the price point of 35K revealed at the model 3 intro will be for a totally basic model. So, it may be closer to $40-45K with options that would be desirable such as autopilot, supercharging, etc. I think Tesla is a phenomenal automobile but am disappointed that they changed some of the features of the model 3 that were initially listed as standard.
The first announcement of ANY features was at the reveal (after ~115K reservations). Anything else was pure speculation. We still don't know very many details about the car, so how good or fully featured the base model is remains to be seen.

Supercharging IS included on all Model 3's.

Autopilot is an option ($2,500) even on the much more expensive S/X's, so not sure why you thought it would be standard on the 3.:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
The first announcement of ANY features was at the reveal (after ~115K reservations). Anything else was pure speculation. We still don't know very many details about the car, so how good or fully featured the base model is remains to be seen.

Supercharging IS included on all Model 3's.

Autopilot is an option ($2,500) even on the much more expensive S/X's, so not sure why you thought it would be standard on the 3.
My reservation is around 123K. Interesting you say supercharging IS included. I never mentioned autopilot specifically to be "standard."
Here's a link to my source which I believe to be a little more accurate:
http://electrek.co/2016/04/08/tesla-model-3-features-safety-autopilot-supercharger/

·
Registered
862 Posts
My reservation is around 123K. Interesting you say supercharging IS included. I never mentioned autopilot specifically to be "standard."
Here's a link to my source which I believe to be a little more accurate:
http://electrek.co/2016/04/08/tesla-model-3-features-safety-autopilot-supercharger/
Mmmmm, reviewed the release video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4VGQPk2Dl8 at 13:00
Musk - "All Model 3's will come with Supercharging - Standard"
So it will definitely be included with the Model 3 and not an optional upgrade. While not explicitly stating it will be free, it is certainly implied and Tesla will have a PR issue to deal with if it is not. Every other Tesla that has Supercharging enabled has it for free. It used to state "Free for life", now stated as "Free for long distance travel".

As per thinking you expected autopilot as standard, it still kinda appears that way when I read your original post, but do see you referred to it (and supercharging) as an option.

All that being said, the Model 3 is still a work in progress and details/specs haven't been finalized. We'll get actual info on the car in a year or two as it gets closer to actual production.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just recently heard they're planning to come out with a crossover called the Model Y, which could share a lot with the Model 3 and like the Model 3, be offered at a price that's affordable without breaking the bank like crazy which I think the Model S and Model X does.

Would any of you be interested in a Tesla Crossover instead?

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Model Y rumors have been floated for a couple of years (the S E X Y model lineup). The model 3 was going to be the Model E, but Ford owns that trademark.

While they indeed plan on expanding the lineup (based on the Model 3 platform), they're still years from getting Model 3 production cranking, let alone any variants.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I assume the superchargers will remain free to use for tesla owners. Electricity is relatively cheap and only a small subset of owners will use it. Most people travel to and from home and they generally will charge their vehicles at home. tesla doesn't lose much from doing this.

As for the autopilot, that's probably going to cost you an activation fee or something which is fine. Autopilot is probably integrated into all Model 3, thus coming as "standard" but that doesn't mean they're activated.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
When I do put a deposit down and purchase the Bolt EV, I could get around 10k in rebates if the Nissan Leaf is any indicator. I could look at the Volt instead since it's from GM but it's a hybrid and not full EV.

·
Registered
862 Posts
When I do put a deposit down and purchase the Bolt EV, I could get around 10k in rebates if the Nissan Leaf is any indicator. I could look at the Volt instead since it's from GM but it's a hybrid and not full EV.
If you're including the $7500 Federal Incentive, it is a Tax Credit, not a rebate. Note that some people may not have enough tax liability to take advantage of the entire credit (and it doesn't carry over).
Timing also plays an issue, a rebate is usually mailed as a check (California) or deducted from the purchase price. The Tax Credit is available when you file your taxes, which could be a year (or more) from when you take delivery of the car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
At this point, I think it may be too late for people to put down a deposit. May as well wait until the Model 3 is out for a while and then order one. This will give Tesla a chance to fill some of those orders first.

·
Registered
639 Posts
What you might be able to do is ask your dealer to notify you if someone cancels. At this point that might happen with the Model 3 being revealed, actually we might have even missed out on that opportunity, but it's still worth trying. Just make sure to put down a bit more than the regular deposit.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
People waiting for the Model 3 may not see it for years to come. Apparently, Tesla missed their vehicle delivery target for the second consecutive quarter which means they're having problems with mass producing vehicles. Once the Model 3 is out and that's most likely going to be delayed, they may not be able to produce them fast enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts