Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious as to who still wants their bolt after having to deal with this battery issue. I leased my first EV in June of last year. I went with the Bolt EUV as my husband and I have had a 2017 and 2020 Silverado that we really enjoyed so it seamed the be a no brainer to go with the Bolt EUV. As of now the vehicles range is about 60% of its potential due to the 90% charge limit and not being able to go under 70 miles of range. This all being said, I’ve attempted multiple times to contact someone with any answers and have been unsuccessful. This is where I’m looking for help. Does anyone have any contact info for Mary Barra?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You're unhappy. I get it. It's been frustrating for all of us. But, you're not bringing up any issues that haven't been dealt with here. Simply venting doesn't contribute to the solution.

I don't know how to contact Mary Barra, and I'm pretty sure contacting her wouldn't do anyone any good. Blame whoever you like, but it's a big problem for GM to get through. They have a solution that, as far as we can tell, will work. If you don't like the solution, you can try to get rid of your car. Multiple people have discussed their experiences with doing so. I'm sure there'll be class-action lawsuits in the future. You might want to jump on that bandwagon. As for me, I'm going to be patient and keep my eye on the light at the end of the tunnel.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I’m curious as to who still wants their bolt after having to deal with this battery issue. I leased my first EV in June of last year. I went with the Bolt EUV as my husband and I have had a 2017 and 2020 Silverado that we really enjoyed so it seamed the be a no brainer to go with the Bolt EUV. As of now the vehicles range is about 60% of its potential due to the 90% charge limit and not being able to go under 70 miles of range. This all being said, I’ve attempted multiple times to contact someone with any answers and have been unsuccessful. This is where I’m looking for help. Does anyone have any contact info for Mary Barra?
I could get that info for you but I won't. Any sort of a problem you're having with your vehicle is not something that she needs to waste her time on. Work it up the chain if it's that bad.

·
Administrator
3,149 Posts
You will never reach Mary Barra, she has entire departments who handle consumer inquiries. No CEO can operate at the strategic level required to successfully run a big business and be weighed down with the little things. Not that your concerns are little, but to a CEO they are not the primary concern.

GM has a Bolt Concierge line, 1-833-EVCHEVY. They exist for the specific purpose of consumer interactions. Start there.

This forum has a lot of resources. Start with the recall section and pay attention to sticky threads at the top of the sections on recalls and buybacks. They should give you plenty of information, as much as any of us have.

That said, there is currently a SW update that will eventually be applicable to 2022 models, it sets an 80% upper limit and removes all other restrictions. Eventually (probably within a year), you will be eligible for either a replacement battery pack, or modules that will restore your car to 100%. They started with early 2019 models which had the highest reported fire incidents, then moved to 2017-2018. I think we can anticipate the second half of 2019 models to be next, perhaps by mid-year. Then 2021-2022 will be last. And before you jump to conclusions, realize owners of older models have been dealing with this problem for a lot longer than newer owners, and battery age\use may be a factor in the defects. So, priority goes to where the most likely chance of fires will be, but all will eventually get repairs.

It may help to understand the factors that make risks of fire higher. First and foremost, there were two manufacturing defects which were apparently rare, but more common in early model Bolts. These defects were made worse by frequent deep cycle charging patterns, meaning allowing State of Charge (SOC) to drop well below 30%, then charging to 100% and repeating. If your daily use only takes 20% of the capacity and you replenish that nightly, you are avoiding deep cycling. If you wait a few days till SOC drops like we typically do with gas cars, you are potentially exasperating the problem.

Many of us with older Bolts have done very little to change our habits. For instance, I have gone below 30% a handful of times in the 3 years of ownership, rarely change >90%, and diagnostics with the last SW update indicate the tolerances they measured for cell voltage differences were minimal. So, I consider my battery very unlikely to fail and choose to follow normal behaviors. My personal opinion is the advice to park outside, keep SOC between 30-90% are CYA measures that at best might be helpful for those whose use patterns may have been more extreme and thus put their batteries at higher risk. I could be wrong, it is my personal risk tolerance and I fully expect many would disagree.

In GM's defense, they have stopped making 2022 Bolts for several months now, and latest expectation is no new production until end of Feb. Why? To allow all battery manufacturing to go to replacements instead of new cars, so it is speeding up the replacement process. Nonetheless, it takes time to get to 170K cars, and priority goes to the most likely to see failure.

So, hang in there, enjoy the car, use it as normally as you feel comfortable, and you should see repairs within a year or so. If that is not good enough, some folks have been successful in having GM buyback their Bolts, using the concierge line above. That too is a long, drawn out process.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could get that info for you but I won't. Any sort of a problem you're having with your vehicle is not something that she needs to waste her time on. Work it up the chain if it's that bad.
Did you read my post at all? I have attempted for 2 months now to get a simple answer as to when the car would be fixed. If you don’t want to give info, that’s fine. I don’t know why you even posted a comment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will never reach Mary Barra, she has entire departments who handle consumer inquiries. No CEO can operate at the strategic level required to successfully run a big business and be weighed down with the little things. Not that your concerns are little, but to a CEO they are not the primary concern.

GM has a Bolt Concierge line, 1-833-EVCHEVY. They exist for the specific purpose of consumer interactions. Start there.

This forum has a lot of resources. Start with the recall section and pay attention to sticky threads at the top of the sections on recalls and buybacks. They should give you plenty of information, as much as any of us have.

That said, there is currently a SW update that will eventually be applicable to 2022 models, it sets an 80% upper limit and removes all other restrictions. Eventually (probably within a year), you will be eligible for either a replacement battery pack, or modules that will restore your car to 100%. They started with early 2019 models which had the highest reported fire incidents, then moved to 2017-2018. I think we can anticipate the second half of 2019 models to be next, perhaps by mid-year. Then 2021-2022 will be last. And before you jump to conclusions, realize owners of older models have been dealing with this problem for a lot longer than newer owners, and battery age\use may be a factor in the defects. So, priority goes to where the most likely chance of fires will be, but all will eventually get repairs.

It may help to understand the factors that make risks of fire higher. First and foremost, there were two manufacturing defects which were apparently rare, but more common in early model Bolts. These defects were made worse by frequent deep cycle charging patterns, meaning allowing State of Charge (SOC) to drop well below 30%, then charging to 100% and repeating. If your daily use only takes 20% of the capacity and you replenish that nightly, you are avoiding deep cycling. If you wait a few days till SOC drops like we typically do with gas cars, you are potentially exasperating the problem.

Many of us with older Bolts have done very little to change our habits. For instance, I have gone below 30% a handful of times in the 3 years of ownership, rarely change >90%, and diagnostics with the last SW update indicate the tolerances they measured for cell voltage differences were minimal. So, I consider my battery very unlikely to fail and choose to follow normal behaviors. My personal opinion is the advice to park outside, keep SOC between 30-90% are CYA measures that at best might be helpful for those whose use patterns may have been more extreme and thus put their batteries at higher risk. I could be wrong, it is my personal risk tolerance and I fully expect many would disagree.

In GM's defense, they have stopped making 2022 Bolts for several months now, and latest expectation is no new production until end of Feb. Why? To allow all battery manufacturing to go to replacements instead of new cars, so it is speeding up the replacement process. Nonetheless, it takes time to get to 170K cars, and priority goes to the most likely to see failure.

So, hang in there, enjoy the car, use it as normally as you feel comfortable, and you should see repairs within a year or so. If that is not good enough, some folks have been successful in having GM buyback their Bolts, using the concierge line above. That too is a long, drawn out process.
Thank you so much for all of this. Like I was saying in my post. Thank you for not berating my post. I appreciate everything you’ve said.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Did you read my post at all? I have attempted for 2 months now to get a simple answer as to when the car would be fixed. If you don’t want to give info, that’s fine. I don’t know why you even posted a comment.
I don't know why you posted a complaint. Anyone with that info would give you the same response. If you wanted to be able to reach out to a CEO directly, buy a Tesla and tweet Elon when you have problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know why you posted a complaint. Anyone with that info would give you the same response. If you wanted to be able to reach out to a CEO directly, buy a Tesla and tweet Elon when you have problems.
I think we may buy a Tesla. Thanks for referring me to them. I’ll be sure to let Elon know when I tweet him

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just called the Chevy EV concierge number and was able to speak to someone pretty quickly. My problem has been that the dealer keeps telling me the software isn't available when I've received an email and letter from Chevrolet saying it is. The concierge told me the dealer has to look at the Dealer Bulletin and the Dealer Message instead of the usual recall info place. Seems unnecessarily confusing and has delayed my software installation by weeks, but at least I got an answer and am now on hold with the dealer. The whole situation certainly requires a lot of patience. I hope you're able to get answers too. If you haven't called it already, the number is 833-382-4389.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
339 Posts
Agree with most of the advice you got above and won't repeat it. I don't think there is anything wrong with my EUV. The battery issue is a temporary one and at the end of the day I can still use the car the way I need/want to and we have a second vehicle if things become that critical. I was forced into a purchase this past July due to our old car being written off in an accident and it was the worst car shopping experience ever....I don't even want to think about shopping for a car for another couple of years until this stuff blows over.
GM is going to give me some software updates in the interim and a new battery at some point so I don't get what is not to like.
I've tried to find some actual issues with the Bolt on this forum outside of the whole battery thing and haven't had much luck so suggests to me it is a pretty solid vehicle.
Besides, what do you go to? Is there anything available and at reasonable cost? And who is to say it doesn't develop some problem as well....our Pacifica had battery fire issues last year as well and Chrysler made it all better...GM will too. Just don't expect a call from Mary.

Reactions: steveskolnik

·
Registered
332 Posts
Are you just venting or do you want answers? The answer is: they are replacing 2017 batteries RIGHT NOW. The software update that you can get RIGHT NOW will give you access to 80% of your battery and will remove the “park outdoors” restriction. Get the software done and ask them about battery timing while you’re there.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My problem has been that the dealer keeps telling me the software isn't available when I've received an email and letter from Chevrolet saying it is
That sounds like the core of the issue. You are contacting the dealer. For EV's the dealer is absolutely the last contact point to get something done. That has always been the laughable part when people won't buy a Tesla because there is not a dealer or service center near them then complain when the GM dealer can't / won't help them. We are still very much in a point the all traditional dealers are fighting tooth and nail to keep EV's out as they directly affect their ability to make money from repairs.

Contacting the EV Concierge is the correct step to take first for just about anything EV related other than rotating your tires. You are very new to the board and I suggest searching and reading about the recall and the processes in place to remedy the issue. Everything you are complaining about has been said ad nauseam for the past 8 months or so.

Tesla's also come with their own set of problems and complaints. My brother owns 2 and they have had minimal to no issues and what problems have come up have all been resolved by Tesla in a reasonable timeframe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agree with most of the advice you got above and won't repeat it. I don't think there is anything wrong with my EUV. The battery issue is a temporary one and at the end of the day I can still use the car the way I need/want to and we have a second vehicle if things become that critical. I was forced into a purchase this past July due to our old car being written off in an accident and it was the worst car shopping experience ever....I don't even want to think about shopping for a car for another couple of years until this stuff blows over.
GM is going to give me some software updates in the interim and a new battery at some point so I don't get what is not to like.
I've tried to find some actual issues with the Bolt on this forum outside of the whole battery thing and haven't had much luck so suggests to me it is a pretty solid vehicle.
Besides, what do you go to? Is there anything available and at reasonable cost? And who is to say it doesn't develop some problem as well....our Pacifica had battery fire issues last year as well and Chrysler made it all better...GM will too. Just don't expect a call from Mary.
I have a 120 mile commute. Only being able to use approximately 60% of the battery it makes it impossible to use the car for my commute if I abide by the safety terms set by GM. I wish it were as easy to get a new car but like you’ve stated above, trying to get a new car now is almost impossible unless you want a high end car. I guess I could purchase a new car and wait for months for it to arrive but that also is not a reasonable solution to the issue. We bought a car that was supposed to give a range of 249 miles for over $38,000. I only expect to be able to use the car I was sold the way it was sold to me. Not pay 6 payments now on a car with a 60% limit of usage

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That sounds like the core of the issue. You are contacting the dealer. For EV's the dealer is absolutely the last contact point to get something done. That has always been the laughable part when people won't buy a Tesla because there is not a dealer or service center near them then complain when the GM dealer can't / won't help them. We are still very much in a point the all traditional dealers are fighting tooth and nail to keep EV's out as they directly affect their ability to make money from repairs.

Contacting the EV Concierge is the correct step to take first for just about anything EV related other than rotating your tires. You are very new to the board and I suggest searching and reading about the recall and the processes in place to remedy the issue. Everything you are complaining about has been said ad nauseam for the past 8 months or so.

Tesla's also come with their own set of problems and complaints. My brother owns 2 and they have had minimal to no issues and what problems have come up have all been resolved by Tesla in a reasonable timeframe.
I assume your brother is happy with his Tesla’s? I also completely understand that all car manufacturers have issues and I’ve had many new cars with issues but none had any affect on being able to use the car fully. Also it wouldn’t be a problem at all if there were charging stations along highways that would allow me to charge during my commute

1 - 20 of 211 Posts