Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m curious as to who still wants their bolt after having to deal with this battery issue. I leased my first EV in June of last year. I went with the Bolt EUV as my husband and I have had a 2017 and 2020 Silverado that we really enjoyed so it seamed the be a no brainer to go with the Bolt EUV. As of now the vehicles range is about 60% of its potential due to the 90% charge limit and not being able to go under 70 miles of range. This all being said, I’ve attempted multiple times to contact someone with any answers and have been unsuccessful. This is where I’m looking for help. Does anyone have any contact info for Mary Barra?
Keeping mine. I bought my Bolt EV premier new in 2019 and still fits my needs as a commuter car just fine. Granted I use my ICE vehicle for road trips. Just got the software update so I can park in back in the garage at night. I watch the mail and patiently waiting for my recall number to end in 1 so I can get the new battery. I've kept most of my vehicles for 10+ years and drive em into the ground. I still plan to do the same with my Bolt.

·
Registered
Chevy Bolt, 2017
54 Posts
I’m curious as to who still wants their bolt after having to deal with this battery issue. I leased my first EV in June of last year. I went with the Bolt EUV as my husband and I have had a 2017 and 2020 Silverado that we really enjoyed so it seamed the be a no brainer to go with the Bolt EUV. As of now the vehicles range is about 60% of its potential due to the 90% charge limit and not being able to go under 70 miles of range. This all being said, I’ve attempted multiple times to contact someone with any answers and have been unsuccessful. This is where I’m looking for help. Does anyone have any contact info for Mary Barra?
VALUELINE gives the addresses of the CEO (I use the library copy): Of course you don't get her email!

Chief Executive Officer: Mary T. Barra. Address: 300 Renaissance Center, Detroit, MI 48265. Tel.: 313-556-5000. Internet: www.gm.com.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
5 Posts
I've waited over 40 years for an electric car, I have the patience to wait a few months for a battery fix. I will not give up my Bolt so easily.
I suspect some of these Bolt owners who turn against their cars at the drop of a hat are actually trolls working for oil companies.
How can you not love driving past a gas station when the price is so high?
I don't imagine the Bolt was meant to be a cross-country vehicle. A nearly 200 mile range (after the software update ) is satisfactory for most commutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Before the recall I rarely ever charged to 100% and rarely discharged past 25%. My charging/habits really haven't been effect. 60% of 250 is still 150 miles, I'd rarely need that in a day. When I get the call my battery pack is in I'll go drop the car off, but life as normal until then. Value for money for an electric car there's really nothing out there that even comes close to Bolt. The reason you can't get a straight answer is because they don't have an answer to give. We're still too early in the replacement process. I'd guess in the next few months GM might be able to start estimating battery pack ETA's for most customers, but right now they are probably just lacking information to give accurate ETA's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure what the point would be in contacting Marry Barra. It's not like she doesn't know there a battery recall on the Bolt.

·
Administrator
3,165 Posts
I suspect some of these Bolt owners who turn against their cars at the drop of a hat are actually trolls working for oil companies.
Patience grasshopper. Those of us who have been on the forum through thick and thin have seen elation turn to despair among many Bolt owners.

Fact is, what was a competitive car in 2017 is no longer as true. Faster charging, longer range are among the more common complaints folks have, add the uncertainty of the recall and it is just too much for some. The communications from GM have been spotty, so that leaves a lot to speculation and rumor.

For those who are patient come rewards. A new battery with 8-10% added capacity (for older model years), and restarting the battery warranty make hanging on to the car an excellent choice, if it still meets the need. But car owners can be fickle, keeping cars for 3-5 years then moving on to something more advanced has always been the case for many. Add the uncertainty and confusion and some folks want to bail out earlier.

Problem is, with all the promising new EV options, there are also challenges. Availability is a challenge for most EV brands, some EV are too large, too small, not enough range, price is too high, etc. Until chip shortages are resolved, we are kind of in a purgatory.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
715 Posts
I suspect some of these GM defenders who turn against their fellow Bolt owners at the drop of a hat are actually trolls looking for attention.

We've all shelled out a lot of money, had to deal with a lot of uncertainty and most still don't have resolution yet. It can both be true that every single person who is angry has a reason to be and that GM is doing an "ok" job.

I say "ok" because while we all might end up with a working car in the end, the journey matters and 6-10 weeks for communication, maybe, isn't acceptable. Not knowing when to expect a replacement battery, isn't acceptable. Wondering if the service center skipped your coolant flush on your battery replacement, isn't acceptable. Telling us to live with decreased range, isn't acceptable.

We're not trying to return dead Christmas trees to Costco on January 5th, we purchased brand new cars that we can't use to their fullest. Some of us for the entire ownership of their vehicle.

·
Administrator
3,165 Posts
Before the recall I rarely ever charged to 100% and rarely discharged past 25%. My charging/habits really haven't been effect. 60% of 250 is still 150 miles, I'd rarely need that in a day. When I get the call my battery pack is in I'll go drop the car off, but life as normal until then. Value for money for an electric car there's really nothing out there that even comes close to Bolt. The reason you can't get a straight answer is because they don't have an answer to give. We're still too early in the replacement process. I'd guess in the next few months GM might be able to start estimating battery pack ETA's for most customers, but right now they are probably just lacking information to give accurate ETA's.
There is a FB group of Bolt owners with a Chicago area service tech who has been providing some interesting insight on the recall. Yesterday, he replied that according to a "friend" at the battery service center (I assume this is a group that coordinates replacement packs), 19K replacement packs have been shipped (out of ~150K total Bolts). That is still less than 15% of the fleet, but in other conversations he indicated the pace is picking up.

My Bolt went to 881 status on Friday afternoon, I called and setup a replacement which will take 7-10 days to ship. The Service writer at the dealer (someone I have gotten to know) said it appeared to him the order times are being reduced and replacement eligibility is accelerating. The FB tech also said the batches of 883 to 881 conversions were bi-weekly until a week or two ago, and are now weekly.

All this to say that early on, they probably couldn't see how fast and efficient the process might become. As with most things in the manufacturing world, momentum builds as processes are learned and refined. I wouldn't be surprised to see some press about the progress soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
While still far from having all the batteries replaced that need to be, my local dealer seems to be getting a steady supply of batteries over the last month or so. GM is probably getting close to having enough data to start plotting line and estimating battery replacements at the customer level. I'd guess in the next month or two many will have their questions answered. .

·
Registered
128 Posts
I used this address to send an Email yesterday and today I got a phone call from GM. They called when I was driving my HHR that does not have hands free so I let it go to voicemail.
Here is what it said in the message they left me. Slightly edited because the apple transcripion is a little wonky.

“Hi Mr. Tiller this is Lori with General Motors executive resolution team I'm sorry I attempted to contact you earlier but apparently my phone is having issues you cannot hear me um I just wanted to let you know I received your correspondence today regarding your 2017 both EV and I did immediately reach out to the district manager of champion Chevrolet to advise them you know of the protocol that is a place regarding the software update and they can do the software update even though your vin will still show in complete remedy not available because it will continue to show that until your battery ultimately is replaced. But in regards to software update the dealership has a bulletin from us that they would have to refer to which I immediately referenced in my correspondence and I also advise them if they can have a service manager contact you and set up an appointment when you're available to do the software update or to let me know and then I can convey that she was well am I a.m. waiting to hear back from them regarding the other correspondence you had sent in and miscommunication and what we can do to get this resolved for you. Eventually I will attempt to contact you back should I hear anything today or if they do call tomorrow or Monday, you should hear something by then thank you Mr. Tiller have a wonderful day goodbye…”

I had called GM using their phone contact system earlier that day and they had told me there was nothing they could do to help
Me. That is why I emailed Ms Barra . So they do answer and hopefully this will get them moving.
Update: Got a callback yesterday from Lori asking if my dealer had contacted me yet and I told her no they had not, she said she would reach out to them and make sure they knew the details of the recall. Just a few minutes ago the dealer called and set up an appointment to get the software updated. So it does help to rattle some cages if you are having issues with your communication with the dealership.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I still want my 2020 Bolt LT. 12 days ago I got hit on the driver side rear tire by a red light runner. The car is at the local Chevy body shop for I don’t know how long and I’ve been driving our 2018 Kia Niro hybrid. I really miss the Bolt. Since the body shop never calls when they say they will I was thinking of using the My Chevy app to sound the horn alarm! Maybe they’ll call to ask how to shut it off👀

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had no issues with my 2019 Bolt . The battery was replaced last month. The range seems to be better at the 270's but we are in the middle of winter so I expect that to get better. I plan to keep my Bolt !

201 - 212 of 212 Posts