Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
161 - 180 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
FWIW, I wrote Mary Barra 2+ months ago...I wasn't expecting a personal response from her, but certainly something from someone at GM.

Nada.

It was very polite, and just expressed my disappointment with various aspects of my ownership so far including the recall.

I've written a bunch of letters over the past few decades...can't recall ever being ghosted like this. And, yes, I've had letters from the CEO's office signed by the CEO (or a machine!).

I do still receive my automated weekly email from GM telling me their "working" on my case ASAP!

As I've said before, this most likely will be my first and last GM vehicle.

·
Registered
915 Posts
FWIW, I wrote Mary Barra 2+ months ago...I wasn't expecting a personal response from her, but certainly something from someone at GM.
Nada.
Funny, that's how I got connected with my GM Concierge.
I wrote a polite e-mail to Mary Barra, and within a few days I got a call from a concierge who got me on the radar and kept me up to date on the progress/status.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In answer to the OP: I still like my Bolt.
The last year was an inconvenieince but now that I have my new battery I arguably have a better car than I would have had at 40,000 miles. Sure, I wish I could go 400+ miles on the interstate during winter on a single charge but I knew I wasn't going to be able to do that with this car when I bought it and for the price there isn't another car out there that interests me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I could get that info for you but I won't. Any sort of a problem you're having with your vehicle is not something that she needs to waste her time on. Work it up the chain if it's that bad.
I guess every car and every driver a little different, but I've had zero problems with my 2021 Bolt EV Premier. Plenty of range, easily charged IN MY GARAGE on 12 amps (standard 110), so my 60 mile commute is fully recharged the next morning. The only thing that's been done is tire rotation after 10,000 miles. I realize I probably have the newest and safest version of the battery, but feel safe charging to 80% at home, or 100% on the road if I need the range. This is the first car I've had ever with essentially no maintenance in the first year. Hey, it isn't a sports car or a true SUV, but I paid $25,500 for a heavily discounted Premier model at just the right time. I've looked at trading it in on a Taycan, and they're basically willing to give me what I paid for it.

So, I feel sorry for the Bolt owners with bad batteries. I really do. I've had no problems.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Does anyone have any contact info for Mary Barra?
She's on Twitter. My wife tweeted her - and her minions repeatedly asked my wife to stop publicly airing her grievances against GM and take it offline. My wife continued to needle Mary. Perhaps coincidentally, I got a good buyback offer (after only 6 months of waiting) soon afterwards which I turned down in favor of the new software and getting back in the queue for the new battery. Two weeks later (before I could get the software) I found out I was eligible for a new battery, which was installed a week later. I am now happy as a clam. The big complaint with GM is that they won't release any information on how many replacements have been made and when owners can expect a replacement battery (or buyback). Based on the number of people on the Facebook group who have reported receiving the new battery (compared to the number of people in the group), it looks like I was in the first 2% of recipients. The latest number looks like 2.5% have got replacements. I'm hoping that these numbers are biased low, but since GM won't say anything, it's the only data I can find.

I will say that I might have been higher in the replacement queue because my 2018 Bolt was built in the same month as one that caught fire. (I haven't compared VIN numbers to see how close I was.) Also, I made the point to various levels of GM that if my Bolt caught fire, it would burn up the whole valley because we have been in severe drought and have daily winds of 50-70 mph. That would mean 1600+ houses between $1-2 M each that GM would be liable for. (The recent fire in Boulder County that burned 1000+ homes proves my point - we could see the fire from my house.) Also, the alarm that GM installed in the 2nd recall software update went off one night and the responding Fire Department told me that I needed to park in a Safeway lot 4.5 miles away. The alarm was a false alarm. I took it to the dealer who spent a day doing diagnostics in consultation with GM without finding out why the alarm went off. So, that might also have moved me up the queue.

I love the Bolt again, but I also ordered a VW ID.4 Pro AWD to replace my wife's 2000 Nissan Xterra. It's not due until July 2022. I like many features of the Bolt better, but the VW is a better car for deep snow, rough, unpaved roads and for long distance travel with its charging curve that is always better than twice that of the Bolt.

If you do sell your Bolt, you should consider the Hyundai Ioniq 5 or the KIA EV6. These are both awesome cars that cost much less than Teslas and are available now. The only reason I didn't get one of the them instead of the ID.4 is that neither can support a roof rack, which I need to carry my paddleboards and tandem bikes.

I hope all works out for you. I would advise Bolt owners to keep your Bolt - in any case, you can sell it for more AFTER you get the replacement battery - but I think you'll want to keep it at that point. The latest software limiting you to 80% is annoying, but you can run it down to 0% if you need to and that's still enough range for almost all uses - unless you are really stretching out into DCFC deserts like Wyoming, eastern Montana or remote parts of New Mexico, South Dakota or North Dakota.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV
2 Posts
I’m curious as to who still wants their bolt after having to deal with this battery issue. I leased my first EV in June of last year. I went with the Bolt EUV as my husband and I have had a 2017 and 2020 Silverado that we really enjoyed so it seamed the be a no brainer to go with the Bolt EUV. As of now the vehicles range is about 60% of its potential due to the 90% charge limit and not being able to go under 70 miles of range. This all being said, I’ve attempted multiple times to contact someone with any answers and have been unsuccessful. This is where I’m looking for help. Does anyone have any contact info for Mary Barra?
I’m curious as to who still wants their bolt after having to deal with this battery issue. I leased my first EV in June of last year. I went with the Bolt EUV as my husband and I have had a 2017 and 2020 Silverado that we really enjoyed so it seamed the be a no brainer to go with the Bolt EUV. As of now the vehicles range is about 60% of its potential due to the 90% charge limit and not being able to go under 70 miles of range. This all being said, I’ve attempted multiple times to contact someone with any answers and have been unsuccessful. This is where I’m looking for help. Does anyone have any contact info for Mary Barra?
We received the notice that the software update was ready for our 2022 Bolt EUV and the local dealer’s technician installed it last week. The 80% recharge is set in place. And we’ve also heard that GM will be sending out a “window cling” to verify the update is done, and that the discharge level, overnight charging, and parking restrictions are over.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I sold my 2017 bolt back to GM and immediately bought a 2019 the same model and color. I love my bolt and not worried about it cashing on fire. Am I the only one who with this attitude?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought my bolt in 2017 and have 35000 miles. Tires still good, charge mostly in daytime, and still a hoot to drive. Did one update, refuse to throttle the charge limit downward. If it burns it burns but odd are against it. Would buy another one in a heartbeat but don’t have to. Will get my new battery pack someday and keep going.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We were well aware that when we leased our 2017 Bolt we were being "pioneers" and would have to deal with something less convenient than weekly trips to the gas station. We were intent on buying a "forever" car and tolerating inconvenience in the name of battling climate change, through cleaner energy and keeping this car for the next 20 years.
We turned in the leased 2017 to purchase a 2018 Bolt. It's our forever car and we will alter whatever our private transportation needs will be to make this work! Buckle up for a very bumpy 21st century!

·
Registered
2022 Mazda MX-30 EV
5 Posts
I sold mine in November of last year (2021). I really didn't want to deal with the issue anymore. I've actually been a long time Mazda owner, switched to Chevrolet for the all-electric Bolt, then just switched back to Mazda for the all-electric MX-30 and couldn't be happier!! I absolutely LOVE my MX-30, more than any other vehicle I've owned! The comfort, quality, driving dynamics, and overall driving experience far outweigh the 100 mile range. I also don't drive that much. This is the perfect car for me and love it 100 times more than the 2017 Bolt I had!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I've only sporadically participated in this thread (no time). For me, given how good my buyback $ is and that I drove the car for nearly 3 years and 21K miles, I'm ok w/having GM buy it back.

I did consider buying a replacement used Bolt for less $ but the used car market is nuts now and that doesn't get around the problem of other places banning Bolts. And, I would need to get the pack replaced (if it hasn't been done already) on the used Bolt in order to charge it at work (we have free charging). Otherwise, we are prohibited from charging at work w/the 80% limiter update, which is an improvement from the Bolt ban at work that happened to me on Oct 15.

It looks like I'll be doing a lease of a temp EV or taking over some other EV lease. Once that's over, I could consider Bolt (used maybe) again if the whole Bolt parking ban situation blows over.
We received the notice that the software update was ready for our 2022 Bolt EUV and the local dealer’s technician installed it last week. The 80% recharge is set in place. And we’ve also heard that GM will be sending out a “window cling” to verify the update is done, and that the discharge level, overnight charging, and parking restrictions are over.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCMN-21V560-7907.pdf is the window cling memo.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
700 Posts
Scuttlebutt I have heard is GM improving battery technology. I will probably lease another Bolt after my lease is up . They might have 400 mile range Bolts by that time.
Yes, GM is working on a different battery technology. But it's no secret, and has been talked about for a couple of years. They call it Ultium, and it will be used in all future GM EVs. But don't expect a Bolt to ever get it. Odds are quite high that the Bolt won't be around for more than a year or two, simply because EV technology has passed it by. Chevrolet has already announced an Equinox EV for late next year that will be priced as good as the Bolt or better, and will be far more advanced than the Bolt. I wouldn't count on a Bolt even being available when your lease is up, unless it's happening this year or early next.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just got our 2017 Bolt back from Jessup Chevy in Palm Springs,Ca and we are very pleased with the results from the battery recall.
They put in a brand new battery pack and now my mileage has jumped up to 291miles and a max of 350 miles. We feel like we got a new 2022 EV because our miles are so high now. Before the recall we were lucky to get 220-235 miles per charge. They provided us with a loaner car for four months and paid for our gas the entire time we were in the loaner. So yes, our Bolt is a keeper!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I needed to contact the senior Chevy management, I sent to the below. I got an answer the next day. Notice Mary B is cc'ed:

To: Alicia S Boler Davis <[email protected]>
Cc: Mary T. Barra <[email protected]>; Alan Batey <[email protected]>; [email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a 2019 Bolt EV and from the moment I drove it home from the dealership I was thrilled with it. I am grateful that I was patient with the powers that be going through their misguided efforts to resolve the issue with firmware fixes that failed and waited until I got the recall notice to schedule my bolt for the replacement. The actual fix required me to be patient, as the service department had the privilege of doing the recall service on my bolt first. There were numerous delays in the form of special tools that took extra time to show up. The entire process took 20 days and I don't regret being patient with them as the undertook the task. My car is not only working as it should have at first, I now have a fresh battery warranty. I love my Chevy Bolt!

161 - 180 of 212 Posts