Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Tesla, you cannot peel out unless you turn off traction control. It is nice to launch at full acceleration and get the most out of the car.

My Bolt can loose traction pretty easily even when already moving. Seems to waste energy doing so. I could imagine allowing it in a sport mode or with traction control off, but not in normal mode.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Don't push down so hard on the accelerator pedal. Maybe the tires are spec'd to help you improve driving habits. ;)

·
Banned
350 Posts
Low Rolling Resistance tires are relatively hard rubber with firm sidewalls, and are not stellar re. grip. Get some good summer tires.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you got some proper summer tires, the wheelspin would be significantly decreased if there. But I agree... ease up on the pedal and you shouldn't really have any issues.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think these responses may miss the point a little. While the OP seemed to be trying to get max acceleration out of the vehicle (which would certainly be improved by grippier tires), there is an underlying question of what can be expected out of the traction control portion of StabiliTrack. My 20 year old Lexus will control wheelspin on wet or loose roads. I haven't tested my Bolt this way (it's been dry since I took delivery), but I would hope to get at least that measure of safety out of a much newer car.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Every vehicle will still allow a certain amount of spin before traction control kicks in. Some kick in quicker than others. i.e 1/8th of a rotation vs 1/4 of a rotation, etc.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
The Tesla software detects wheel spin with about 1/8 rotation and reduces torque until they grab again.

Ed
So in the case of the Tesla, power is reduced to the motor regardless of throttle position it sounds. In a traditional ICE car and with GM's Stabilitrack the spin is controlled with braking. I wonder how the Bolt's system works? I guess not that great because there are a lot of people complaining of wheel spin.

I also wonder if the Tesla uses a limited slip differential? I'm pretty sure the Bolt, like most all FWD vehicles does not. With all these Teslas going to the drag strip, I'm guessing the car comes with an LSD. That makes a huge difference in launching.

·
Registered
786 Posts
So in the case of the Tesla, power is reduced to the motor regardless of throttle position it sounds. In a traditional ICE car and with GM's Stabilitrack the spin is controlled with braking. I wonder how the Bolt's system works? I guess not that great because there are a lot of people complaining of wheel spin.

I also wonder if the Tesla uses a limited slip differential? I'm pretty sure the Bolt, like most all FWD vehicles does not. With all these Teslas going to the drag strip, I'm guessing the car comes with an LSD. That makes a huge difference in launching.
The Model S is RWD, so why would it have a "differential"? An electric motor have the advantage that the software can control the power fed to it and thus control the torque. No mechanical slip is ever needed.

BTW, I believe that GM put low resistance tires on the Bolt EV to get better range. But, as with ICEVs and hybrids, if you want performance, then you don't care about range (or MPG), so you shoudl use softer tires with better grip.

·
Banned
350 Posts
The model S has a rear differential in the single-motor versions, because the outside wheel on a turn has to travel farther than the inside wheel.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
The Model S is RWD, so why would it have a "differential"? An electric motor have the advantage that the software can control the power fed to it and thus control the torque. No mechanical slip is ever needed.
Yes, the Tesla has a differential as does all current electric cars. Until the day when it is common to see hub motors, or at least a motor for each drive wheel, they will have differentials. The question is, are they of the limited slip variety?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts