Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another surprise... after purchasing my new 2017 EV Bolt I enjoyed the drive home and on approaching my 3 door garage, I looked up and did not see any door opener controls to program. What, no Homelink Garage opener capability! Such an expensive car, and I have to use my 20th century remote. What's with that! Such a small feature, but what a convenience and what a disappointment! What VP of design left that out? Off with his or her head! :eek:

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
You're mostly buying a battery when you buy the Bolt. Sure, it's relatively expensive, but it more closely matches an economy car than a luxury brand.

Homelink is a licensed brand, and I'm sure they charge manufacturers an arm and a leg. A remote transmitter is $20, and many garage door openers these days can be controlled via smart phone.

My remote transmitter batteries are 7 years old and still going. Not too big an issue I would say.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Like RedPoint said, you didn't really buy a luxury car. You bought a relatively ordinary car with an expensive electric propulsion system in it. It's all about the battery. If you look at the Bolt in this light it starts to make more sense. If you look at it like "For that much I coulda gotta...!" you will never be satisfied with it. There were a lot of cuts and compromises so that we could have a 60kw battery and 240 miles of range at $37,495.

I know a lot of folks here came from some very nice cars and miss these kind of creature comforts, but for me this is the fanciest car I've ever had! I'm thrilled. The HomeLink can be added aftermarket at any shop that does custom aftermarket upgrades. HomeLink makes a kit for it if you really want it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
With all the smartphone garage door openers on the market, someone will figure a way to put an icon on the infotainment screen and either Bluetooth or cable command (Android Auto?) the phone app to open/close the door.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
With all the smartphone garage door openers on the market, someone will figure a way to put an icon on the infotainment screen and either Bluetooth or cable command (Android Auto?) the phone app to open/close the door.
That would be an awesome work around! Has anybody checked to see if this isn't already out there? Pretty much every time I have a really good idea for an ap, I go to the ap store and find it already exists... in triplicate!! :laugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts