Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know that manual controls are a small way to save on electricity use and possibly cost of the car, but what an incongruity. Adjusting your car seat on the driver's side is not something one does every day, so the use of power is minimal. So it must be a cost constraint not to have power seat adjustment.
My suggestion is as battery cost come down, put power seat controls on the front two seats, AND include Homelink garage door opener capability, PLEASE!:eek::(

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
It certainly isn't energy use, as it's miniscule. It's likely a cost and customer preference issue.

You might not adjust seats every day, but some people share vehicles. In those situations it's extremely annoying to wait for a seat to adjust to position rather than spend the 1 second to manually do it. Not only that, but putting the seat back to rest takes an eternity with electric. When I want a seat back, I want it back now, not 1 minute from now.

The only time I prefer electric seats is when it has multiple driver memory and adjusts automatically before the driver gets in.

·
Banned
350 Posts
OTOH, a friend of mine can't buy a Bolt because his wife vetoed any car without electric seats, since they share their car and need different seat positions.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
To Dr T-

We have an ongoing thread here called the "Nitpick thread". Check it out, it's getting longer and longer as many share your desire for a nicer Bolt, or one that they feel would fit them better. This might be the place to add new things you find about the Bolt that annoy you. I'll never try to discourage people from starting new threads, it's just it seems some of your beefs would fit better in that thread rather than a stand alone thread where there is no solution, but rather a plea to GM for the future. Some have already complained about some of these things.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I am going to make some folks anger here. I know we are all congratulating ourselves for doing our bit to save the planet, but our electric cars are only slightly better than a Prius in that regard. To have a meaningful impact we will have to do much better, and very soon. None of our electric cars come close to addressing the challenges we face, and loading them down with every modern convenience only makes that challenge less attainable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:(Electric sets are best. My well optioned BMW i3 didn't offer them. If car companies need to cut cost, do what Toyota did. My 2012 Prius Plug In Advance has a electric driver's seat, the front passenger seat is manual. Better than none at all.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've always assumed that it didn't have electric seats to save on weight and costs. Granted it isn't a lot of either but every little bit counts.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
IMO, the only useful thing about electric seats is if they have memory positions for multiple drivers, otherwise they are a useless gadget that adds complexity, weight and cost. The memory feature is very nice if you swap drivers a lot though.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I once rented a car in Hawaii, and the first night I slept in the car with the back reclined all the way. In the morning I tried to raise the back, but the motor had gone out. I had to drive for 40 minutes to the car rental with no back rest. My abs were on fire. You wouldn't believe how much endurance it takes to drive without a seatback.

Anyhow, I'm sure manual seats can have problems too, but I'm sure electric acts up more frequently.

My wife and I swap cars all the time, but she is only an inch shorter than me (she's 6'1"), so there isn't much to adjust. Kind of nice that the Acura remembers seat position between me and her.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Why manual driver's seat controls in my all electric EV Bolt?
Because they built it for a $30K price-point (after tax break).

Whenever someone asks "Why do they..." the answer is always "money".

·
Registered
80 Posts
This was our first new car purchase since 2004 and I was fully expecting all new cars to have electronic seat adjustments. Not sure why... guess for the same reason I expect electronic window controls and door locks instead of hand cranks and knobs. I'm even more surprised to hear the BMW i3 didn't have them. Obviously not a deal breaker just made me raise an eyebrow for a second... then I saw the cool blue light across the dash and was mesmerized :D

LOVE the BEV but would never declare the interior to be that of a $40,000 car.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
LOVE the BEV but would never declare the interior to be that of a $40,000 car.
Actually it's kind of hybrid. It's mostly a $20,000 car interior, but it does have some features found on much more expensive cars, like the displays and all the information in them. It is a mix between cheap car, middle of the road car and a few expensive car features.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Actually it's kind of hybrid. It's mostly a $20,000 car interior, but it does have some features found on much more expensive cars, like the displays and all the information in them. It is a mix between cheap car, middle of the road car and a few expensive car features.
Completely agree. Aside from the dash the interior is from a "cheap car".

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
This belongs in the nitpick thread, but I'm surprised it doesn't have more optional features such as adaptive cruise and lane keep assist. It does have automatic emergency braking, right? This feature should be on every car at every price point. We shouldn't be hearing about hit and runs anymore in the news.

·
Registered
544 Posts
This belongs in the nitpick thread, but I'm surprised it doesn't have more optional features such as adaptive cruise and lane keep assist. It does have automatic emergency braking, right? This feature should be on every car at every price point. We shouldn't be hearing about hit and runs anymore in the news.
With the optional packages you get lane keep assist and lane departure warning, not ACC though. Automatic emergency braking is part of the additional packages as well. Unfortunately none of those packages are even available for the base LT trim, you have to get the Premier trim to have the option to add them. Kinda stinks that they don't offer the extra packages of safety features for all levels of the cars trim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts