Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
automobiles are really the only place the USSR hasn't produced a worldwide staple that long outlasted its mother country.
Anything with electronics. 20 years ago I worked for a start-up company making a DNA analysis machine. It was started by a pair of Russian scientists (one of them married to a French financier). They needed to make the machine in the U.S. because electronics technology was 20+ years behind in Russia. Yet their material science was superior in Russia. I got called into the office and questioned about why I was using expensive aluminum for a bearing housing instead of something cheaper, like Titanium. Apparently aluminum was much more expensive in Russia but titanium was fairly cheap.

Side story: The Russian woman came into my office one day asking if I had any scotch. I was rather confused and thought that she was accusing me of having a bottle of alcohol in my desk. Turns out they just use the term "scotch" in place of scotch tape.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
like the Space Shuttle was a boondoggle
I wouldn't go that far. There was 135 space shuttle missions and they did a lot of things the average persons does not know about. While space exploration is inherently wasteful, it has driven technological innovation in many areas.

BTW, that Russian shuttle looks like it was made from cardboard. Does it even have black heat tiles or is that just paint?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts