Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
There's a lot of great info on this thread, I'd just add that don't judge the Bolt too harshly here. When you see advertised charging DCFC those are always peak speeds. Some people look at things like the ID.4 and Mach-E and are like, "omg wtf this thing charges 40 billion times faster" and it's just not true.

It's hard to explain but don't look at spec sheets when trying to figure DCFC speeds. Look at real world times spent at charging stations on things like abetterouteplanner. On that front you'll find the Bolt is obviously the slowest but really, it's only like 2x slower than the fastest charging cars out there, not as bad as it seems on paper.

I have a Bolt and a Kona EV. The Kona EV theoretically can charge 50% faster, that definitely does not translate to 50% less time at charging stations.
I now own a 2017 Bolt and a Mach E (CA Route 1, the longest range model). The real numbers are way better than 2 to 1 in terms of miles per minute or time to add 100 miles.

I will provide a typical charge for you, I have done this with the Bolt and the Mach E.

Start the charge at 30% SoC and then charge to 80% SoC. The Bolt will take 45 minutes to do that and based on my typical highway range that is 105 miles on my 2017. On the Mach E I can do that same charge in 25 minutes and add 160 miles of range. Bolt charges at about 2.4 miles per minute for that case, Mach E at 6.4 miles per minute.

The Mach E peak rate is 160KW and even at 80% it is 80KW before it drops. Yes, the Bolt will get better if you go from 0 to 50%, then you are about 3 miles per minute, still low and that means arriving at a charger with no margin.

Look at it a different way, charging time to get to the next charger, with identical starting margin. If the next charger is 100 miles away, typical average for EA, then you need 100 miles of range added. Bolt takes 45 minutes. Mach E can do that in 16 minutes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My experience is that the amount of times that you actually experience the difference between 25 minutes and 45 minutes is negligible. You really gotta be long hauling some major road trip because the reality of the situation is the charges ABRP or even you find yourself penciling out are more like the difference between 25 and 35 minutes because they try and don't always need to charge to 80%, and we're talking about the slowest charging car on the market vs. the fastest (not named Taycan).

I realized this when I was out a lot with my Kona EV and observed the newly arrived ID.4s and Mach-Es, not only was I at the stops for roughly the same time but I saw the same people at the same stations on my routes. It only has a 75KW charger!

Then consider that some of these stops on your road trip you're eating and not sitting at the wheel looking at the gauge going "cmon wtf!"

I do not doubt, and in fact have observed these higher peaked charging cars charge faster, I'm just saying that in reality it's not as night and day a difference as it appears and over the course of a 500 mile road trip only equates to 10-20 minutes more time spent. I need more time on the Bolt to confirm this is true but I'm expecting the real world difference between a 50KW charger and a 75 KW peak charger to be minimal.
I have done a trip in my Bolt from Phoenix to Newport Coast, CA. That is 350 miles. Per ABRP and my experience it is 2 charging stops in the Bolt, requiring 90 minutes total. My Mach E can make it in one stop and 30 minutes charging. Big difference in my opinion. I only need to eat once on that trip.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts