Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOOO! I just tried to connect my Bolt to the home WiFi and the Bolt doesn't do WEP. Really? Only WPA and WPA2 is offered. All my devices since the beginning of WiFi have had WEP. If I convert to WPA I have to reprogram all individual devices and some existed before WPA. This is so frustrating.

·
Registered
115 Posts
WEP is a big security risk. A lot of new devices don't support it anymore, including a number of home routers.

To get around it, buy a cheap $20-30 Access Point, plug it into your router, and configure WPA2 on it for the Bolt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
NOOO! I just tried to connect my Bolt to the home WiFi and the Bolt doesn't do WEP. Really? Only WPA and WPA2 is offered. All my devices since the beginning of WiFi have had WEP. If I convert to WPA I have to reprogram all individual devices and some existed before WPA. This is so frustrating.
WEP has basically been removed from the 802.11 standard due to its complete lack of security. It’s no longer considered a recommended encryption protocol for WiFi.

So it makes sense for Chevy to completely leave it out.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To get around it, but a cheap $20-30 Access Point, plug it into your router, and configure WPA2 on it for the Bolt.
Yeah, was thinking the same thing. I live out in the boondocks so doubt I have to worry much about someone hacking me. I just want to avoid the eye rolls when I inform the family that all our devices need the WiFi settings changed. I probably would have to change twenty plus devices. That's why I've stayed WEP for two decades.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I just want to avoid the eye rolls when I inform the family that all our devices need the WiFi settings changed. I probably would have to change twenty plus devices. That's why I've stayed WEP for two decades.
The WiFi access point sounds like the right solution for you - and it will allow you to gradually reconfigure your devices so that some day, perhaps a few years from now, you'll be able to decommission your WEP access point.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
On a related subject: I forgot what the password was for Bolt's WiFi ... where could I look it up, short of contacting GM?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The WiFi access point sounds like the right solution for you - and it will allow you to gradually reconfigure your devices so that some day, perhaps a few years from now, you'll be able to decommission your WEP access point.
No need for a new access point. Turns out my Netgear access point allows a Guest WiFi account. Took me a few hours of frustration as it let me set it up and then nothing. Googling, Forums, failed firmware updates, etc. Then it hit me. The old tried and true troubleshooting technique of cycling the power. Yep. That was the fix. Now I have two SSID's with two security settings. My old WEP for legacy hardware and WP2 for my Bolt! Sweet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts