Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where the wifi unit is located in the Bolt. I was just wondering if I could remove it and take it in my other cars?
Manny

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Anyone know where the wifi unit is located in the Bolt. I was just wondering if I could remove it and take it in my other cars?
Manny
Likely intergrated into the car's electronics. You'd have to remove the OnStar cellular module as well to make it useful. Easier to turn your smartphone into a WiFi hotspot...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Likely intergrated into the car's electronics. You'd have to remove the OnStar cellular module as well to make it useful. Easier to turn your smartphone into a WiFi hotspot...
For the most part, I don't see a lot of use for wifi in the Bolt. At least with an iPhone and the LTE network, I can get some web functionality. I guess if the Bolt was parked where there was a web connected wifi and you had the password it might be of some use. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Am I missing something?
The WiFi hotspot in the Bolt lets a WiFi device in the vehicle communicate with the Internet via the Onstar LTE cellular connection. You can do anything with that connection that you'd be able to do with any other WiFi connection, including web browsing. One of the downsides is that since the WiFi device thinks it's connected via WiFi it will enable software downloads over the cellular network even if you've configured it to "download software only on WiFi". That adds to the data used and could get expensive, especially if you have a lot of devices in the car.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
For the most part, I don't see a lot of use for wifi in the Bolt. At least with an iPhone and the LTE network, I can get some web functionality. I guess if the Bolt was parked where there was a web connected wifi and you had the password it might be of some use. Am I missing something?
The Wifi is for the benefit of the passengers, not the owner/driver of the car. It is assumed that in today's society, no one wants to talk to one another and looking out the window is unacceptable. Your passengers are going to want to use their personal devices to pass the time on this dreadful drive, so latching on to your Wifi is a big bonus for them. They don't have to use their data plans and it allows them to use a laptop.

On the flip side, you get to pay for all the freeloaders, but it may be worth it to not have to hear them whine. You also have to pay for this feature every month whether you use it or not. There is that exceedingly rare time when you may actually benefit from it where you might be parked somewhere in the boondocks and you have a need to use your laptop. Of course you could always use your cellphone as a hot spot and achieve the same thing.

It's basically a scheme by GM and other companies to sell you something monthly. As you might have guessed, I do not intend to buy my car a data plan.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The Wifi is for the benefit of the passengers, not the owner/driver of the car. It is assumed that in today's society, no one wants to talk to one another and looking out the window is unacceptable. Your passengers are going to want to use their personal devices to pass the time on this dreadful drive, so latching on to your Wifi is a big bonus for them. They don't have to use their data plans and it allows them to use a laptop.

On the flip side, you get to pay for all the freeloaders, but it may be worth it to not have to hear them whine. You also have to pay for this feature every month whether you use it or not. There is that exceedingly rare time when you may actually benefit from it where you might be parked somewhere in the boondocks and you have a need to use your laptop. Of course you could always use your cellphone as a hot spot and achieve the same thing.

It's basically a scheme by GM and other companies to sell you something monthly. As you might have guessed, I do not intend to buy my car a data plan.
That clears it up for me. I pay enough subscriptions monthly already, no thanks GM.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
One of the downsides is that since the WiFi device thinks it's connected via WiFi it will enable software downloads over the cellular network even if you've configured it to "download software only on WiFi". That adds to the data used and could get expensive, especially if you have a lot of devices in the car.
User lmccart has posted a workaround to this issue here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can the Bolt connect to my home's WiFi? I am not going to pay for Onstar, but would like the car to get updates over the Internet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wifi data

Tx for this. One other question, i've been plugging my phone in and using Siri for both directions and for music not currently on my iPhone. Is that data coming from the car wifi to the phone or flowing from my cellular connection to the car? Does it matter if I'm also connected via wifi and bluetooth from phone to car?

I have yet to actually use the Onstar as Siri has worked for me. Tx.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Pretty sure it is coming through your cellular connection. Apple Play only works with the iPhone plugged in, not with blue tooth. On the other hand, you can make calls from the car through your iPhone, when connected by blue tooth. I have an old iPhone with music on it and I connect it with USB. That way, I don't forget to take my good iPhone with me. For trips requiring mapping and directions, I plug in my good iPhone and use Apple Play.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Pretty sure it is coming through your cellular connection. Apple Play only works with the iPhone plugged in, not with blue tooth. On the other hand, you can make calls from the car through your iPhone, when connected by blue tooth. I have an old iPhone with music on it and I connect it with USB. That way, I don't forget to take my good iPhone with me. For trips requiring mapping and directions, I plug in my good iPhone and use Apple Play.
Good use of old iPhones we "save as a back up" but never use. I like it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts