Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is not unusual to have a deer or moose run across the road ahead of a fast moving vehicle here in Maine as well as elsewhere. It can cause a lot of damage to both animal and vehicle. My wife has a lot of fear of that happening. (We had an instance a few years ago with no significant damage.) In a recent discussion I told her the Bolt manual indicates, if that happens, the safety system should detect the chance of collision, give an audio signal and apply the brakes.

Anyone out there have an actual happening to report?

· Registered
2017 Bolt EV
10,161 Posts
...I told her the Bolt manual indicates, if that happens, the safety system should detect the chance of collision, give an audio signal and apply the brakes.
I would not trust the auto-braking system to avoid a collision with an animal. It (usually) recognizes cars and pedestrians, but it can take a while to register them and if an animal darts in front of the car I wouldn't count on it to (a) recognize it, or (b) recognize it in time. The system is really there as a backup for your eyes that has a decent chance of avoiding an accident due to inattention under some specific circumstances. It's by no means a failsafe.

· Registered
26 Posts
Some of the newest Volvos have a "large animal detection" system and it's specifically designed to recognize moose, deer, elk etc.. As far as I know, other manufacturers don't have this capability available yet.

Here is more info from Wired:

"To make it work, Volvo's engineers started by studying animal behavior. "We put a lot of effort in seeing how animals moved and teaching the computer to look for that movement," Ekholm says. A lot of that work happened on the computer. "You can’t just tell a moose to run across the road, so we created initial captures of real animals and then simulated variations of their movement for the computer."

The system recognizes animals by matching what the camera sees against a database of masses and shapes. Watching how it moves determines what it's up to, whether it's nothing at all, or walking right into the car's path. The system is programmed based on where the car is sold. In native Sweden, it's primed to look for moose and elk. In the US, it looks mostly for the deer that cause thousands of crashes every year. It's not foolproof: Though it can detect animals in the dark if they’re within range of the headlights, it can’t detect partially obscured animals, small animals like dogs and cats, or particularly fast animals. Drivers are still in charge, but this just gives them a boost if they aren’t on top of their animal-spotting game."

· Registered
585 Posts
The mating season and hunting season (usually September and October) are the most likely times to find large animals on the roadway in rural areas. Keeping your speed below 45 mph greatly increases the likelihood you can avoid these animals. In northern climes like Maine, moose in particular like to use the roadways during winter, when it's much more convenient for them to saunter down a road than plow through the snowpack.

Those so-called 'deer warning whistles' that you can mount on the front of your vehicle have generally been proven to be ineffective.

· Registered
684 Posts
I hit a deer today on the way to work. She was already dead, lieing in the road. There was a guy beside me so I couldn't move over a lane and was forced to ride over her carcass. The little Bolt went over her like nothing, didn't even break the bottom under the grill. The plastic skid plate seems to be pulled back a little bit, but you'd have to look hard to see it. I'm /very/ surprised there was no damage at all to the car. Maybe later today I'll pull the video from my dash cam and post it.

I'm going to rant for a moment.... I drive to work on cruise control and was coming up behind a guy, so I passed him and clicked the cruise up 2mph. That sob (sweet old boy) "locked" on to me for a frigging mile or 2. So despite going 3-5mph faster than he was initially going, he was beside me for a long way. That's when I saw the deer dead in my lane. Because of him, I had no place to move over. Well, he fell back behind me after that! I hope to **** that some guts squirted out as the carcass was compressed and sprayed his car! Man it bothers me when people lock on to you!

· Registered
684 Posts
I hit a deer today on the way to work. She was already dead, lieing in the road. There was a guy beside me so I couldn't move over a lane and was forced to ride over her carcass. The little Bolt went over her like nothing, didn't even break the bottom under the grill. The plastic skid plate seems to be pulled back a little bit, but you'd have to look hard to see it. I'm /very/ surprised there was no damage at all to the car. Maybe later today I'll pull the video from my dash cam and post it.

I'm going to rant for a moment.... I drive to work on cruise control and was coming up behind a guy, so I passed him and clicked the cruise up 2mph. That sob (sweet old boy) "locked" on to me for a frigging mile or 2. So despite going 3-5mph faster than he was initially going, he was beside me for a long way. That's when I saw the deer dead in my lane. Because of him, I had no place to move over. Well, he fell back behind me after that! I hope to **** that some guts squirted out as the carcass was compressed and sprayed his car! Man it bothers me when people lock on to you!

· Registered
1,664 Posts

If you find having someone driving next to you in an adjacent lane annoying, just either speed up or slow down. Problem solved.

· Registered
2017 Bolt EV
10,161 Posts
If you find having someone driving next to you in an adjacent lane annoying, just either speed up or slow down. Problem solved.
Yeah, it's really annoying when that happens and you're on cruise control. I have to admit to a psychological glitch that causes me to hate disengaging cruise control in situations like this even when it's the obvious right thing to do.

If I'm on cruise control and I end up beside someone who's locked onto me after they were going a bit slower and I switched lanes leftward to pass them, then I'll usually just use the accelerator to speed up fairly quickly (to break the lock), get in front of them, and then slowly let off the accelerator so that I've got a reasonable separation from them by the time I'm back at my set cruising speed. Because if I don't do that then I end up blocking other people coming up behind me, something that I also hate doing. Better to block the one guy who can't decide what speed he wants to drive than a line of cars trying to get past me.

· Registered
8,880 Posts
What's worse is passing those people, moving back over to the right lane while maintaining the same CC speed, and being passed by them just as the double lane ends, and they back off their speed again.

Heck, I was behind a guy going 20 MPH under the speed limit, and when I finally got the chance to pass, floored my weak Prius, and he matched my pace just to ensure a Prius wasn't ahead of him. He had been doing 35 MPH in a 55, and I got up to 90 MPH trying to pass but he wouldn't let me.

Some people are subconsciously (accidentally) creating frustration for others, while some people consciously go out of their way to be A-holes because they delight in the frustration of others. I tend to believe those who "lock on" while being passed are subconsciously doing so. I know sometimes if I've zoned out and a speed limit has increased without me noticing, it might take someone passing me to realize. I'll still wait for the person to pass before I up my speed again though.

· Registered
684 Posts
If I'm on cruise control and I end up beside someone who's locked onto me after they were going a bit slower and I switched lanes leftward to pass them, then I'll usually just use the accelerator to speed up fairly quickly (to break the lock), get in front of them, and then slowly let off the accelerator so that I've got a reasonable separation from them by the time I'm back at my set cruising speed.
This was my mistake.... I should have continued to speed up while he was locked on.... even checkerboarding (every other car in opposing lanes) wouldn't have been as bad as this. My wife and I ride two astride on our motorcycles (in teh same lane) checkerboarded so if there's a tire or something in the road, we can weave... I got lazy and didn't assert that philosophy this morning. :(

· Registered
684 Posts
Heck, I was behind a guy going 20 MPH under the speed limit, and when I finally got the chance to pass, floored my weak Prius, and he matched my pace just to ensure a Prius wasn't ahead of him. He had been doing 35 MPH in a 55, and I got up to 90 MPH trying to pass but he wouldn't let me.
You dont have that problem with the Bolt do you??? snicker... it will flat out SCOOT.

· Registered
2017 Bolt EV
10,161 Posts
This was my mistake.... I should have continued to speed up while he was locked on...
The trick seems to be to give it a bit of a punch so that you accelerate rapidly enough to get in front of him before he can react. So easy and effortless in a Bolt, even at freeway speeds!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.