Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fold flat front passenger seat on Chevy Bolt?

Can we expect the Chevy Bolt to have a fold flat front passenger seat? Hope so as this is a just a brilliant feature for a small SUV hatchback to have!

·
Registered
322 Posts
While that would add some flexibility to the interior, it also complicates the seats (more developement time/$, more weight, possibly thicker).

I've seen nothing in the interior pictures that would lead me to think the front seats fold flat.

·
Registered
639 Posts
While that would add some flexibility to the interior, it also complicates the seats (more developement time/$, more weight, possibly thicker).

I've seen nothing in the interior pictures that would lead me to think the front seats fold flat.
But it is one of those easier things to develop, much unlike some running component which factors in far more R&D resources. Instead it's one of those cheap and easy wins for Chevy

·
Registered
322 Posts
The seat hinge line is at the same level as the lower portion of the seat. The cushioning of the lower and back parts of the seat interferes unless the seat hinge line is higher than the lower seat. See rear seats:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just don't see what they wouldn't give the seats that function. It makes transporting awkward objects much easier. It's one of the most advanced EVs around but it doesn't include technology that lets the seats fold down? Come on.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just don't see what they wouldn't give the seats that function.
I'll reiterate that this is a moot discussion, but think about it like a GM lawyer. The front seats provide a (marginal) safety barrier between the driver and the cargo. What happens when you're carrying a bunch of 2x4s resting on a folded passenger seatback and they fall over on you while cornering. Your wife and the parents of all the kids in the schoolbus you collided into sue GM.

·
Registered
639 Posts
If we happen to not get this option, there might be the possibility of getting some shop to do this for us, can't be that hard. But I can't imagine many people going through with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'll reiterate that this is a moot discussion, but think about it like a GM lawyer. The front seats provide a (marginal) safety barrier between the driver and the cargo. What happens when you're carrying a bunch of 2x4s resting on a folded passenger seatback and they fall over on you while cornering. Your wife and the parents of all the kids in the schoolbus you collided into sue GM.
Other GM vehicles have this capability. This is a Trax:

But as you say it's clear that the Bolt doesn't do this.

·
Registered
322 Posts
As an aftermarket modification, this would be very challenging. Now if you have a seat in mind that fits the rail attach locations for the OEM seat, it would be easy. But I doubt that seat exists. If you want a shop to modify an OEM seat, you're asking them to heavily modify a key structure that keeps your butt safe in a crash. Any shop that actually knows what they're doing won't touch this kind of work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just don't see what they wouldn't give the seats that function. It makes transporting awkward objects much easier. It's one of the most advanced EVs around but it doesn't include technology that lets the seats fold down? Come on.
Seriously... other cheap Chevys have the option and its brilliant engineer and use of space. IMO, Would be dumb not to include it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Seriously... other cheap Chevys have the option and its brilliant engineer and use of space. IMO, Would be dumb not to include it.
That's extremely true, even more so when the Bolt EV comes close to the Trax in how it serves when you forget about the powertrain. Only makes sense. Like said before, easy win for them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts