Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So reading about charging and should I, or should I not continually charge to 100%, prompted me to ask myself the following question. If I have my Hilltop reserve setting to "on", will the car be able to recognize that I'm probably on a road trip when I have to plug into a DCFC? Will it override the Hilltop reserve setting and allow the car to charge to 100% or do I have to turn Hilltop reserve off before a DCFC if I want a full charge?
So far, I haven't been able to find any info on this topic.
Cheers.

·
Registered
643 Posts
DCFC will not override hill top reserve - you will only charge to about 88-90% will hill top reserve turn off.

However after 80% charge DCFC charging tapers aggresively and the charge rate slows down by quite a bit most of the time it’s not worth the extra time vs. the amount if actual charge you receive when the battery is nearly full.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Use of location based charging feature will allow Hilltop mode at home but full capability elsewhere.
Oh, that's interesting. It's not described in the section of the manual that discusses location based charging (page 130) but it is mentioned in the hill top charging description on page 213. I had no idea that that was a settable parameter - thanks for mentioning it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Thanks for the info. I currently charge at both home & work (both on level 1), mainly for battery conditioning if required.
Come the warmer weather, I plan on charging just at work for the majority of my current requirements. I could then set my work location as my home location with Hill top reserve then set to Home only. That way, if I go on a road trip & need a full charge on the way, it saves me from having to remember (an age based issue) to deactivate some features to get a full charge.
Maybe a software update at some stage might allow a DCFC Hill top reserve override option.
Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts