Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In lieu of slumping U.S. car sales, General Motors may consider axing six car models and Reuters thinks the Chevy Volt could be up for the chopping block.

When the president of the United Auto Workers union approached the automaker with their concerns regarding the threat of job loss because of this slump, GM's response was to produce more trucks and SUVs while killing off six of their slow-selling models. Of course no official words has been released, but Reuters specifically points out six possible candidates including the Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CT6, Cadillac XTS, Chevrolet Impala, Chevrolet Sonic, and the Chevrolet Volt.

“There could be some consolidation” of passenger car production in fewer U.S. plants, said Jeff Schuster, senior vice president of LMC Automotive. “GM doesn’t need all the sedans it has today."

When it comes to older models that doesn’t currently sell well, halting production of the XTS, Impala, and Sonic makes sense. But Chevy Volt hybrid sales seems to be holding steady with 10,932 vehicles sold within the first half of this year.

Sure, crossover sales are booming these days and Chevy is rumored to replace the Volt with a gasoline-electric crossover model in 2022, but there’s still a large market for hybrid sedans. If Chevy were to axe the Volt, that’s essentially relinquishing their portion of the global sales in this segment to their competitors.

It’s a fine balance between what GM wants and what the UAW is hoping to see for their workers. For now, GM is keeping their future product plans close to heart. Let us know what you think of these rumors below.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If they're going to cut the Volt from their lineup, maybe they should replace it with an all electric sedan and join the Bolt family.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If they're going to cut the Volt from their lineup, maybe they should replace it with an all electric sedan and join the Bolt family.
Or better yet let the Bolt be the smallest EV Chevy has to offer and the only surround EV is an SUV, think something Model X sized. That's the only logical step forward I can imagine.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That would make more sense, I just thought if Tesla's lineup was Chevy's benchmark, then they'd want a sedan like the Model S and a large SUV too.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I can't see how the extremely popular Equinox wouldn't be the perfect candidate for electrification!

Even in it's current ICE configuration (1.5L Turbo,170 hp and 203 lb-ft of torque) you could drop the Bolt drivetrain (200hp 240lb-ft torque) in and it would result in a power upgrade. Of course it would need a different, non-skateboard battery pack... but you'd gain extra space for the battery by dropping the gas tank and exhaust components, etc...

·
Registered
735 Posts
I can't see how the extremely popular Equinox wouldn't be the perfect candidate for electrification!

Even in it's current ICE configuration (1.5L Turbo,170 hp and 203 lb-ft of torque) you could drop the Bolt drivetrain (200hp 240lb-ft torque) in and it would result in a power upgrade. Of course it would need a different, non-skateboard battery pack... but you'd gain extra space for the battery by dropping the gas tank and exhaust components, etc...
Its platform might but not that exact model. The only time it seems car makers will give a current model a fully electric trim is when they want to test the waters... similar to what Chevy did with the Spark EV... and now we have the Bolt EV.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ugh, no Volt CUV until 2022!?

GM needs to bring the Volt's CUV successor to market NOW, not in 2022. Buyers want either a roomy CUV body style or a cheap price, and the Volt offers neither. As soon as the Korean automakers get production ramped up on the Hyundai Ioniq and Kia Niro PHEVs, the Volt will be in trouble on both sides: undercut by the Hyundai on price, and outclassed by the Kia on passenger and cargo space.

But there's hope. The Volt's niche should be sportiness, if GM is smart enough to play that card. Add back in the Z-link rear suspension that they cost-cut from the platform, revise systems to cut 2 seconds off the full-throttle 0-60 time, and the Volt would look not only like the sporty PHEV choice, but also like a worthy alternative to the Tesla Model 3.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like my new Bolt quite a lot. I would strongly urge GM to give it a few years to build the brand. After all GM has invested in making this great car, it would be quite a retreat not to give the Bolt a 5 year run at least. Oil prices will not stay low forever. There will be a much stronger market if we see $4/gal. or more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They have their Theta platform( Captiva, Encore) they could add an electric version and I would think the Equinox would be good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bolt & Sonic production line?

The Chevy Sonic & Bolt are both made on the same production line. Chevy has done a rediculous job of not promoting the Bolt. This does not look good from the perspective of a brand new Bolt owner.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Why would you care, as an owner, whether they sell 15,000 a year or 45,000?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The Chevy Sonic & Bolt are both made on the same production line. Chevy has done a rediculous job of not promoting the Bolt. This does not look good from the perspective of a brand new Bolt owner.
There are 12,000+ Bolt owners; most of them are regular folks who have a list of things to worry about, such as families, jobs, mortgages, health, retirement etc ... GM's advertising practices rarely make that list.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bolt platform will provide next bunch of GM EVs

CEO Barra stated that the Bolt platform would provide the basis for
the Buick version of the Bolt next year and that "many variants" would spin off of that platform. It would make no sense to not use their Bolt platform across division lines. I would love to see Cadillac produce a simple (!!) two seat sexy convertible with a battery and motor upgrade,
and how about a throwback Camaro convertible? GM needs to build visually stunning cars , not copies of the Tesla sedan. Especially to be avoided is anything as dreadful as the nose of the Tesla Model 3. Or those WHEEL COVERS (!!), the only covers in automotive history in which the most important question from buyers is how to remove them!! There have been dozen of videos on how to rip them off the wheels, presumably before leaving the dealership upon delivery. Without question, the ugliest whel covers ever made.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Without question, the ugliest whel covers ever made.
and yet years from now someone at a cars/coffee or car show will have a "vintage" Tesla Model 3 - and they will be talking about how they were able to find/fabricate the original wheels and restored it to 100% stock as it came from the factory - ROFL

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Years down the road, when I'm 70 or so, I'd probably want one of those 'vintage' cars from the electric hay days, just like how people want those those old ones from the 60s right now. :D

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
The fact that the Bolt is built in the same facility as the Sonic is irrelevant. If you have watched the videos of how the Bolt is assembled, you realize that the Bolt could be built in any factory along side any GM product. Cancelation of the Sonic does not mean that the Bolt will not have a place to be built. It just means it will be built along side some other vehicle. A sad possibility would be that they cancel the Sonic and shutter that factory and move Bolt production to Korea.

As to the original topic of this thread, will GM end the Volt, it is not clear. On one hand the Volt represents a significant engineering achievement showcasing their capabilities and is part of GM's commitment to electrification of the automobile, but on the other hand, not very many people care, or want one. It seems that amongst the small niche group of car buyers that actually want a plug in hybrid, they much prefer the Toyota offering even if it is inferior in many ways.

I can see GM going either way. They could easily look at the bottom line on the balance sheet as GM has always been at it's core an accounting business and admit defeat and kill the Volt thereby making the company more profitable. They could save some face by announcing a new plug in BEV to fill the space. Possibly the new Buick version of the Bolt.

I can also see them doubling down again and moving the Voltec drivetrain into a space where Toyota isn't. Possibly a CUV. Still, it's tough sell. What's hurting the Volt most is low gas prices. The plug in hybrid drive train is expensive compared to a turbo ICE and it just doesn't pencil out in savings as long as gas is cheap and the price of oil doesn't appear to be going up anytime soon.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think the lack of promoting the Bolt might be due to the fact its not at its prime yet. They have some self driving tech in the works and beyond that who knows what else. The other thing could be the fact they see enough sales coming in that further stimulation of sales isn't needed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
GM has lots of reasons for not spending lots of money promoting a low sales volume model.
The public CCS fast charging network is not yet populated enough yet, they only have half of their dealerships ready to service the car, thus their sales dealership network is less than half of their total dealerships. The infrastructure is simply not yet there, nor are the buyers.
They are ahead of the CCS pack right now, but that pack includes almost every automaker - probably every one (except Tesla) after CHAdeMO dies, which tells you that there will be LOTS and LOTS of CCS fast chargers out there. I believe that Ford and another company are putting 400 into place right now. A more-or-less fully electric fleet will likely require over 5 million DC fast chargers. There are right now one million gas pumps out there. Basically, they will all be replaced by charger units, but that still won't be enough (chargers cannot provide refueling rates anywhere near that provided by gas pumps) , despite the fact that many EV owners can charge at home except for trips.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts