Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd imagine, at least living in Los Angeles (which must be one of biggest EV markets in the USA), that road trips for EVs are not a deal breaker for most people.

95% (99?) of driving is around town, or maybe to Palm Springs/Santa Barbara/San Diego...all very easy to do in the Bolt.

If you want to do road trips in an EV, Tesla is really the only practical choice right now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'd imagine, at least living in Los Angeles (which must be one of biggest EV markets in the USA), that road trips for EVs are not a deal breaker for most people.

95% (99?) of driving is around town, or maybe to Palm Springs/Santa Barbara/San Diego...all very easy to do in the Bolt.

If you want to do road trips in an EV, Tesla is really the only practical choice right now.
Yes, agree. If Hertz pre-qualifies a customer with "where are you going" and the answer is within the 100 mile circle of comfort, e.g. airport to Hertz, Hertz to business meeting downtown, downtown to Hertz, then the Bolt or any other non-Tesla would be ideal. Too limiting in application if you ask me. Probably why they don't rent many trucks.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
It was that much? Thanks, I thought it was less. 220 I would have expected to be enough for many drivers, but I guess the range numbers they offer on all other models simply didn't make it very attractive. I was aware of the special version for Canada, as you mention specifically to allow the Model 3 to qualify for their incentives.
There were also other software limitations on the SR versus the SR+ (hardware was the same, presumably to reduce manufacturing permutations), presumably to make the SR+ more attractive than the SR to buyers who did not have a hard limit on price below the SR+ price.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The Model 3 standard range (not plus) in the US did have a range of 220 miles: $35,000 Tesla Model 3 Available Now

However, there is a 93 mile range version in Canada that exists to game the incentive rules there.
For clarity, at the time the 93 mile Canadian Model 3 was offered, it was intended to qualify the entire Model 3 lineup for the Canadian EV incentives by having a base price of $44,999. It was never intended that someone would be so pigheaded to buy one since the battery although software limited and identical to an SR3, could never be unlocked. Curious if anyone did buy one though.
Interestingly, if you go to the Canadian Tesla website, you can still order it.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,684 Posts
There was no PHEV that came close to it, other than the Honda Clarity, but that car had a whole different set of issues. Before I leased my Niro PHEV in '19, I was trying to find a Volt. But GM had recently announced it's demise, and there were virtually no Premier trims available around me. But I certainly don't think it was overwhelmed by other PHEVs. Nothing could touch its range on EV alone, short of a full BEV. I think it was more the form factor, being more of a four door sedan (yeah, I realize it had a hatch). If it had had a bit more ground clearance (higher seating position), and more of the hatch/wagon look, it would still be a relevant offering today.
What "set of issues" does the Clarity PHEV have? I've owned and driven a 2021 Touring for about six months now, and love it. I would have bought another Volt to replace our 2011, but they were canceled, even before the Claritys were.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
417 Posts
To those of you who think I'm off my rockers for saying 50k Bolt EV/EUV per year. GM produced 25k Bolt EVs in the first two quarters of this year.
Produced, not sold. At the moment, they can't sell any of them pending battery replacement, unless they were produced since early October.

Still, yes, the Bolt was indeed mass produced, especially for a small car in the current market which insists on monstrosity as criterion 1. GM isn't generally into producing large numbers (50K in 1/2 year is a large number for a EV) unless they expect to sell them. Look at the Volt. Some other threads here have shown Bolts selling in increasing numbers each year since introduction, and remember, there are almost 150K in the battery queue (with how many actually done?). THAT isn't a tiny number either, though obviously not in the millions.

Still: 5 years. Will the Bolt beat the Citation for longevity in production?

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
The Bolt EV may not have been or will be a best seller, but it was the first (relatively) affordable long range BEV. That has to mean something.
The Bolt literally doubled the range of widely available mid-market EVs and did so at a very similar price point to existing cars. Chances are that such a big leap in capability won't happen again.

Yes, it's becoming somewhat dated now. But aside from charging speed it's still pretty competitive in specs with more modern designs at a similar price point. And to be honest I'm skeptical about the effect of those higher charging speeds on battery longevity. It may not matter for the leasing crowd, but for someone like me who buys cars to last a decade or more it's something to be concerned about.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
417 Posts
Yes, agree. If Hertz pre-qualifies a customer with "where are you going" and the answer is within the 100 mile circle of comfort, e.g. airport to Hertz, Hertz to business meeting downtown, downtown to Hertz, then the Bolt or any other non-Tesla would be ideal. Too limiting in application if you ask me. Probably why they don't rent many trucks.
Almost every car I've rented in the last 20 years has been for <200 miles in the course of the rental. Most of those have been for business, and resemble the trip described. The main caveat is that since Covid the demand for Typical Business Trips (fly in, have a meeting, fly home) has crashed; Zoom, Teams, and the like have taken over much of that market. So the longer-mileage rentals might be more important right now, and a Bolt with its poor recharge performance isn't going to be desirable for that. OTOH, other fleets that have centralized fueling could easily incorporate Bolts; many government fleets, especially, are under orders to go electric, and Tesla is both too expensive and generally unresponsive to RFPs to be a factor there. Bolts could be (and have been, in some gig car fleets) competitive.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt Premier - Kinetic Blue Metallic
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Yes, it's becoming somewhat dated now. But aside from charging speed it's still pretty competitive in specs with more modern designs at a similar price point. And to be honest I'm skeptical about the effect of those higher charging speeds on battery longevity. It may not matter for the leasing crowd, but for someone like me who buys cars to last a decade or more it's something to be concerned about.
Go to more remote locations, like where I am and north, and you'll be lucky if you get a 25kW DCFC let alone a 50kW DCFC. As far as I know, there are no plans to put high speed non Tesla DCFCs north of Kamloops. Edmonton doesn't have anything above 50kW. The Bolt's saving grace is that it is one of the more efficient long distance EVs under $100k.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Of course it's going to remain relevant. Had GM not taken the step to replace EVERY battery and simply relied on software fixes then yeah.
But they're doing everything right thus signaling they're still in the EV game.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
484 Posts
PS: I agree that a "hot hatch" version - a
If Chevrolet cared. Hire the designer who did the ev6. Put in an adjustable magnetic suspension, widen the stance and get seats from the id.4. Allow options like sunroof and super cruise. Get charging speed to 150k and 0 to 60 down under 5 seconds. Make it a hot hatch. Embarrass VW GTI.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
PS: I agree that a "hot hatch" version - a Bolt Performance model - would be a good idea.
And then people will complain that the ride is too firm and that the side bolsters on the seats are too confining, while not appreciating the handling that the firm suspension gives.

Back in 2016...

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,199 Posts
If Chevrolet cared. Hire the designer who did the ev6. Put in an adjustable magnetic suspension, widen the stance and get seats from the id.4. Allow options like sunroof and super cruise. Get charging speed to 150k and 0 to 60 down under 5 seconds. Make it a hot hatch. Embarrass VW GTI.
And you'd be willing to pay north of $50k for such a beast?

I see that you spend a lot of time here discussing what GM should do and what the Bolt doesn't have. There just isn't a lot of basic EV transportation that can be purchased new for under $30k. The Bolt has been filling that role for close to 3 years now.

If you want all that stuff, then get a Tesla and be done with it. The Bolt is the EV for soccer moms and dads. And it fills that role admirably.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
318 Posts
And you'd be willing to pay north of $50k for such a beast?

I see that you spend a lot of time here discussing what GM should do and what the Bolt doesn't have. There just isn't a lot of basic EV transportation that can be purchased new for under $30k. The Bolt has been filling that role for close to 3 years now.

If you want all that stuff, then get a Tesla and be done with it. The Bolt is the EV for soccer moms and dads. And it fills that role admirably.

ga2500ev
Exactly, Bolt fits my needs and at a price I'll pay. I paid $21,322 out the door with no tax credit help and only $3,500 from GM card earnings. I see Tesla as a relevant purchase, they have the long distance part figured out, Ford is a distant second. I have had the thought, "what would I get if someone ran into my Bolt and totaled it". I literally do not see anything else out there. Nothing that is the same size, performance and cost. The Bolt is still very relevant today. For me it is a great local car that someday may be able to have a greater range but for mow for longer trips I still have my ICE vehicle. I didnt buy it to look good at the valet parking, I'd buy a Mercedes for that, didn't get it for it's track performance, I'd buy a Porsche for that. Instead it is a great low cost, reliable, fun local car with a fantastically low total operating cost and with some patience it can be driven on a long trip.

BTW it's not a good soccer mom and dad vehicle - not intimidating like a Suburban or F250 quad cab :)

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
484 Posts
Who would pay 35k for a Bolt EUV?
Loaded is around 40k. Guess my question is when does the price jump beyond its limits. I'm looking at the ID.4 but so many other cars are coming out that I'm not sure I want one.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Who would pay 35k for a Bolt EUV?
Loaded is around 40k. Guess my question is when does the price jump beyond its limits. I'm looking at the ID.4 but so many other cars are coming out that I'm not sure I want one.
Always good to keep in mind, the Bolt lacks a few features, but don't assume because the specs are better on coming attractions, that they'll be better, more reliable cars. They will have their own lacks and problem areas.

As I've mentioned here before, the Bolt battery fires were unforeseen. My prediction is when we have a dozen different first-generation EV makes all trying to scale up faster charging, because that's what many here are telling them is paramount, there will be battery fires and/or explosions which will make the Bolt problems a fond memory.

jack vines

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
484 Posts
My prediction is when we have a dozen different first-generation EV makes all trying to scale up faster charging, because that's what many here are telling them is paramount, there will be battery fires and/or explosions which will make the Bolt problems a fond memory.
jack vines
Well I'm not sure about that. Teslas been super charging for a while. Id.3 fast DC charging is 100kw. But if you're correct, EVs are dead. It's new tech with many skeptics. All concerned about, charge time, reliability, and complexity.

61 - 80 of 159 Posts