Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
81 - 100 of 149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
417 Posts
What "set of issues" does the Clarity PHEV have? I've owned and driven a 2021 Touring for about six months now, and love it. I would have bought another Volt to replace our 2011, but they were canceled, even before the Claritys were.
Terrible noisy engine when the battery is exhausted. Small opening between the trunk and interior with the rear seats folded down. Zero EV information in the infotainment screen. No charging display on the dash. That’s what I noticed with a short test experience.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
My prediction is when we have a dozen different first-generation EV makes all trying to scale up faster charging, because that's what many here are telling them is paramount, there will be battery fires and/or explosions which will make the Bolt problems a fond memory.
I wouldn't be surprised to see more fallout from the LG production problems - I'm not sure if other car companies that use LG batteries are going to wait until their cars start burning before initiating a recall or not. Or if the problems that they had were specific to the GM cells for some reason. But that seems to be the most likely scenario for more clusters of fires.

I wouldn't expect fast charging on its own to cause fires, but I can easily see how it might affect battery longevity. It'll take at least a few years before that could start to become apparent, though.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Terrible noisy engine when the battery is exhausted. Small opening between the trunk and interior with the rear seats folded down. Zero EV information in the infotainment screen. No charging display on the dash. That’s what I noticed with a short test experience.
And it looks like an engineering exercise gone horribly wrong.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Well I'm not sure about that. Teslas been super charging for a while. Id.3 fast DC charging is 100kw. But if you're correct, EVs are dead. It's new tech with many skeptics. All concerned about, charge time, reliability, and complexity.
That’s a peculiarly American attitude. Many countries have already committed to replacing ICEVs with EVs. Consumer choice is not the only force driving the switchover. And there’s no reason to expect other manufacturers won’t be able to address those issues, in due time.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
479 Posts
That’s a peculiarly American attitude. Many countries have already committed to replacing ICEVs with EVs. Consumer choice is not the only force driving the switchover. And there’s no reason to expect other manufacturers won’t be able to address those issues, in due time.
I'm betting on this be addressed. Either with LFP or solid state but sadly all things are 5 years away which means 10 years away. Which makes me scratch my head. All these EV cars were being prepared for a long time ago but successors were not? Even the 4680 hasn't been really tested and will be a calculated risk.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Many countries switched to the metric system too.
Just sayin'. ;)

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
479 Posts
And you'd be willing to pay north of $50k for such a beast?

I see that you spend a lot of time here discussing what GM should do and what the Bolt doesn't have. There just isn't a lot of basic EV transportation that can be purchased new for under $30k. The Bolt has been filling that role for close to 3 years now.

If you want all that stuff, then get a Tesla and be done with it. The Bolt is the EV for soccer moms and dads. And it fills that role admirably.

ga2500ev
Which of the things I listed do you think will be the lions share of cost? magnetic suspension is -2k improved seats cost about 500$ tops. The Improved speed of charge, not sure but everyone else is doing it. Getting a designer to make a cool looking car, a few dollars a car. My thought is GM wants it to look econo box because of stupid positioning.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt Premier - Kinetic Blue Metallic
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Which of the things I listed do you think will be the lions share of cost? magnetic suspension is -2k improved seats cost about 500$ tops. The Improved speed of charge, not sure but everyone else is doing it. Getting a designer to make a cool looking car, a few dollars a car. My thought is GM wants it to look econo box because of stupid positioning.
You're forgetting the markups 😜

·
Registered
509 Posts
IMO, virtually nil, small EVs are a niche segment inside of a niche segment. People will want electric versions of what they already like, mid to full size SUVs and trucks. While I really like my Bolt, I'm going to SUV with tow capability or truck, as soon as practicable.
The EUV is pretty close to a compact SUV. Without the all wheel drive option. I would guess that will come in the next couple years. I think it's geared to women, who favor the SUV.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Bolt EV has significance, and when it's all said and done I believe that it will be a documented first step toward the electrification of American, and of American car manufacturers.

140,000 vehicles is no small shakes, and it might start up again.
Wow, you must be part of the Biden administration. The Bolt wouldn’t exist, if it wasn’t for Tesla. Just like every other EV on the road or coming to market. The Bolt will at best be a footnote in history. I say this as an owner of a 2019 Bolt.

I don’t agree with re-writing history to match the facts you want them to. This is never a good idea.

·
Registered
29 Posts
With the slow unraveling of the battery recall and the Bolt EV/EUV possibly returning to production next year, will they remain relevant over the next few years? Will the price drop for the 2022+ model years be enough to keep the Bolt EV/EUV on the public's shopping list? With the Kia EV6 and Ioniq 5 coming on the scene and potentially replacing the e-Niro and Kona EV (already gone from Korea), the Bolt EV/EUV will be almost alone in the 200 mile sub-compact space. Will the value proposition be enticing enough? What's everyone's opinion on the future success of the Bolt EV/EUV until 2025 in terms of enticing people to go electric.
No, not really. Neither will GM or Ford in a few years, The Chinese invasion is coming, and from what I have heard it isn’t going be be good for most automakers.

The Bolts already have had far worse resale value than Teslas. Tesla has shown their batteries hold up; GM has shown theirs do not.

Tesla would have pushed out the software update I had to bring my car in on Monday for over the air. The Dealer kept my car for a day and a half. In case anyone mis-understands this was the November 19, 2021 update that is the latest excuse not having batteries ready. It nerfed the range to 156 miles

GM isn’t going to offer hardware upgrades to existing vehicles, with the exception of recalls like the current one.

All these things tell me that neither the Bolt or GM are relevant any longer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
With the slow unraveling of the battery recall and the Bolt EV/EUV possibly returning to production next year, will they remain relevant over the next few years? Will the price drop for the 2022+ model years be enough to keep the Bolt EV/EUV on the public's shopping list? With the Kia EV6 and Ioniq 5 coming on the scene and potentially replacing the e-Niro and Kona EV (already gone from Korea), the Bolt EV/EUV will be almost alone in the 200 mile sub-compact space. Will the value proposition be enticing enough? What's everyone's opinion on the future success of the Bolt EV/EUV until 2025 in terms of enticing people to go electric.
At the price point of the car, its range and quality it will absolutely be relevant. If it isn't, maybe the price will drop and I'll be able to replace my two other gas hogs (Corvette and Toyota pickup) with two new Bolts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I believe deep down 2022 will be the last year for the Bolt, reason I say this is, one KIA EV6, HYUNDAI IONIQ 5, Nissan Aryia, TOYOTA AND SUBARU all offer AWD, HEAT PUMP, around 300 mile range (except toyota and Subaru, but they have quarantine 90% battery charge after 10 years), also where looking at 0 to 80% charge time from 18 to 35 minutes, depending on car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, agree. If Hertz pre-qualifies a customer with "where are you going" and the answer is within the 100 mile circle of comfort, e.g. airport to Hertz, Hertz to business meeting downtown, downtown to Hertz, then the Bolt or any other non-Tesla would be ideal. Too limiting in application if you ask me. Probably why they don't rent many trucks.
Hertz decided on Teslas to improve their brand. I don’t think they would want to sink it again with Bolts.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Bolt EV has significance, and when it's all said and done I believe that it will be a documented first step toward the electrification of American, and of American car manufacturers.

140,000 vehicles is no small shakes, and it might start up again.
Actually, 140k cars in 7 years is too small shakes, Tesla sells that in a couple of months, and this is actually the point. GM wasn't making a dime on any Bolt, they didn't have enough production for production at scale to reduce their costs. And they are so far behind now, and just starting their growing pains, they won't be able to catch up. Tesla and a few Chinese companies are going to outshine them right into bankruptcy. Even if I really wanted another Bolt (repurchase signed, just waiting for dealership to schedule surrender appointment), I wouldn't get one because I'm not sure GM will be around long enough to honor the warrantee.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What's everyone's opinion on the future success of the Bolt EV/EUV until 2025 in terms of enticing people to go electric.
My opinion is that GM has to spend a couple more bucks advertising and marketing the Bolt line. Since its introduction, the Bolt has been invisible on TV/print, although coverage of high-margin ICE trucks continues unabated. So much for Bara's devotion to the EV concept. When is she gonna discover that the public needs to know GM is dealing EVs?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Let's not kid ourselves the Bolt is that great anymore compared to other EVs honestly (yes, it's great vs. any ICE though and I'm an owner too) in 2022 when we're all driving 5+ year old stuff now.
Huh? What's wrong with 5-year-old stuff that works? Do you buy a new vacuum cleaner every 5 years? At its price point, the Bolt (with revised bucket seats perhaps) is very fine technology. What improvement does any EV have over the course of the last 5 years? The battery tech has not improved 50% or 100% ! My conclusion is: if your driving style and your wallet fit the Bolt, it's still good in 2022-3-4-5 ... etc.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My opinion is that GM has to spend a couple more bucks advertising and marketing the Bolt line. Since its introduction, the Bolt has been invisible on TV/print, although coverage of high-margin ICE trucks continues unabated. So much for Bara's devotion to the EV concept. When is she gonna discover that the public needs to know GM is dealing EVs?
Having the most powerful human on the planet be your shill should get some coverage, even if he’s full of sh!t. I think you‘d be amazed how much of the public bought his lies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wonder if GM will ever follow the example of the VW Bug. Change the innards, but more-or-less keep the outward appearance. Increasing range to, say, 500 miles or more between battery fires might be great sales scoop for multiple model years!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Huh? What's wrong with 5-year-old stuff that works? Do you buy a new vacuum cleaner every 5 years? At its price point, the Bolt (with revised bucket seats perhaps) is very fine technology. What improvement does any EV have over the course of the last 5 years? The battery tech has not improved 50% or 100% ! My conclusion is: if your driving style and your wallet fit the Bolt, it's still good in 2022-3-4-5 ... etc.
The Bolt was a GM parts bin vehicle, so it is much more than 5 years old. You seem to be of the same mind as GM and most in the automotive manufacturing sector that think that the snails pace of innovation will continue to work for them.

VW’s CEO seems to get that that isn’t true anymore, there has been talk of his losing his job over it. This thinking will be the end of many automobile manufacturers. It just not going to work anymore. Not with Tesla and the coming Chinese invasion of automobile manufacturers.

I don’t like this, it is the short sightedness of the CEOs of these companies. The boards need to replace themwith engineers, but that is unlikely to happen, since Wall Street wouldn’t approve. Mary Barra is going to kill GM, and Joe Biden is cheering her along. It is just sad. I hate to see it, but is what is happening.

81 - 100 of 149 Posts