Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
417 Posts
The EUV is pretty close to a compact SUV. Without the all wheel drive option. I would guess that will come in the next couple years. I think it's geared to women, who favor the SUV.
Most Trax (the closest Chevy ICE to Bolt) are sold as FWD too. But AWD is available. It's not in the EUV. Also, the EUV isn't really significant larger than the Bolt; it's just rearranged a bit so the back seat has more space at the expense of the trunk.

I'm beginning to side with those who see a very short future for the Bolt; as in, it may not even survive into the Ultium era, other than perhaps a short coexistence with the equally irrelevant (in the other direction) Hummer EV. And I can see where relevance for GM as a company isn't assured. The immediate future for all non-Tesla carmakers in the US market is in electrifying SUVs, crossovers, and pickup trucks; Ford has a clear lead in that regard, and GM is showing all the signs of blowing it. Even Chrysler (whatever they're calling themselves this week) has hybrid Jeeps for sale now, and EVs coming in the major lines within a year or so. $100K Hummers notwithstanding, where's GM's 2022 or 2023 EV Silverado and mainstream crossover? Or even a credible hybrid? The Bolt is too small and outdated to have a dog in that hunt.

For all my dislike of Toyota as a corporation, their first EV (shared with Subaru) seems to be shaping up as a decent entry in the market. We need to watch them - if Toyota decides that BEVs need to be done en masse, along with their hybrids moving into even the pickup trucks now, GM is in real trouble. It's always hard to fight a 2-front war. Very shortly GM will be up against at least 3: Telsa, Toyota, and Ford, with a few others nibbling at the flanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Telsa, Toyota, and Ford, with a few others nibbling at the flanks.
You are missing the coming Chinese invasion, just like the Japanese invasion when I was young.

I think many in this forum are emotional invested in GM, I am a Bolt owner, but I am smart enough to recognize that the future is coming and GM isn’t likely to be much of a part of it.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I wonder if GM will ever follow the example of the VW Bug. Change the innards, but more-or-less keep the outward appearance. Increasing range to, say, 500 miles or more between battery fires might be great sales scoop for multiple model years!
That's a pretty low bar. I would rather my car not catch on fire. LOL

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
417 Posts
You are missing the coming Chinese invasion, just like the Japanese invasion when I was young.

I think many in this forum are emotional invested in GM, I am a Bolt owner, but I am smart enough to recognize that the future is coming and GM isn’t likely to be much of a part of it.
I'm not missing it. I just don't think it'll happen very soon. There's a bit too much bad blood between the countries right now. Give it 5 years and we'll see what happens. In any case, the Chinese companies have lots of demand at home to satisfy in the short term ... which just means they'll have much better technology in place when they shift their sights offshore.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Huh? What's wrong with 5-year-old stuff that works? Do you buy a new vacuum cleaner every 5 years? At its price point, the Bolt (with revised bucket seats perhaps) is very fine technology. What improvement does any EV have over the course of the last 5 years? The battery tech has not improved 50% or 100% ! My conclusion is: if your driving style and your wallet fit the Bolt, it's still good in 2022-3-4-5 ... etc.
No, you don't need to buy a new vacuum every 5 years, but if there is better tech for the same price as a 2022 Bolt, why would you spend current $$ for old tech? Like buy an iPhone 7 vs. an iPhone 13, but the iPhone 7 costs the same as the 13? Like pay 40k MSRP for a 2022 Bolt now? That makes no sense anymore.

There is a reason why the Bolt didn't keep their resale at all honestly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All the new EVs coming to the US are too big. Scientist are calling climate change an existential threat. Our response is to buy electric SUVs. I am not at all surprised, but deeply saddened. Our grandchildren will rightly hate us. Blah, blah, blah.
Could not agree more. The vast majority of drivers in SUVs think they have to drive an SUV to feel safe because everyone else is driving an SUV, driving this nauseating cycle. They don't actually need the cargo capacity and these cars carry no more people than a van. SUVs feed the feeling of inviolability for their drivers, bolstering the me-vs-everyone-else mentality that undermines a civil society. Meanwhile, the rate of fatalities in vehicle-pedestrian collisions is up because SUVs impact bodies higher up, making it more likely that an SUV will crush your vital organs rather than "just" your hip area. They're too big, clogging our streets and blocking visibility for everyone else on the road. I am so disappointed that the car makers are catering to this taste by creating ESUVs. The Bolt's small size is one of the top reasons we bought it and love it.

With GM's suspension of Bolt production so close to their stated termination for this vehicle (2023 for the EV, 2024 for the EUV) and all the hype over the Hummer EV and Lyriq, I wouldn't be surprised if GM soon decides to just kill the Bolt here and now. Likely the majority of would-be EV owners won't care because they have to have the latest technology and the Bolt would never have been big enough or upscale enough for them. Those of us who love our Bolts for its terrific range, small size, 1-pedal driving, and altogether modest demeanor will love and drive them until the steering wheel is pried from our cold dead hands. I see the Bolt as the EV for those whose first and foremost reason for driving an EV is environmental. It's not about us. Although I do enjoy driving it so much that I probably have a goofy smile pasted on my face the whole time.

Sorry for the diatribe, especially on Thanksgiving Day. I am grateful--if still amazed--that GM, despite it ruling worst tendencies, produced the Bolt in the first place, and before that the Volt (we have a 2013). They have a way of creating great EVs and then killing them like someone else's offspring who intruded into the nest.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not missing it. I just don't think it'll happen very soon. There's a bit too much bad blood between the countries right now. Give it 5 years and we'll see what happens. In any case, the Chinese companies have lots of demand at home to satisfy in the short term ... which just means they'll have much better technology in place when they shift their sights offshore.
Do you really think the average consumer cares where anything they buy is made?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Do you really think the average consumer cares where anything they buy is made?
Many would if they were properly informed by their media and politicians. So... no. Oh the irony of the tree hugger buying a Chinese EV that had to have another coal power plant built in order to make it.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
417 Posts
Many would if they were properly informed by their media and politicians. So... no. Oh the irony of the tree hugger buying a Chinese EV that had to have another coal power plant built in order to make it.
If the implication is that the Bolt & EUV are Chinese, that's incorrect. Korean, yes. Much of the drivetrain and power electronics, and some other parts, are made in Korea by a GM subsidiary (Daewoo), and of course the batteries for the original version were built by LG in Korea. The rest of the production and assembly are in the US with the usual GM supply chain. Interesting that the battery problem for the Kona did come from a Chinese LG plant. All of that, of course, has no bearing on what happens with future production, and GM does have a solid Chinese connection for Buick.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If the implication is that the Bolt & EUV are Chinese, that's incorrect. Korean, yes. Much of the drivetrain and power electronics, and some other parts, are made in Korea by a GM subsidiary (Daewoo), and of course the batteries for the original version were built by LG in Korea. The rest of the production and assembly are in the US with the usual GM supply chain. Interesting that the battery problem for the Kona did come from a Chinese LG plant. All of that, of course, has no bearing on what happens with future production, and GM does have a solid Chinese connection for Buick.
No, we are talking about Chinese automakers starting to bring their products to the US market. No one is suggesting that Bolts are made in China.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Perhaps more common is the person who chooses a gas guzzling vehicle and then complains about gasoline prices and foreign policy problems relating to adversaries whose government treasuries benefit from high oil prices.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
484 Posts
I think everyone forgets there is a limited amount of batteries you can even get currently. Chinese also have no safety regs. This will hurt until they address that. They will probably steal. I mean make a deal with the company building Teslas. The Chinese also lack the infrastructure to repair these complex machines. That will take years to establish.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
The Chinese also lack the infrastructure to repair these complex machines.
In the many months I spent in China, I only saw little shops that looked like they mostly did oil changes and tire repair. The culture there is a bit different. It's not expected that you upkeep and repair things. You just let things slowly fall apart and then replace with new.

I never spotted a single used car dealer. New car dealers were usually a small store with a few cars on display inside. In China, if you can't afford a new car, you save until you can buy new because buying a used car would "lose face": There's very little used car market. If you are selling a used car, it is assumed that there is something wrong with it or it has bad luck. Even business buildings sit abandoned while a brand new one is built next to it because the business that left must have done so due to the building having bad luck. They are very luck-centric.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bolt EV and relevance… hmmm… I think it had one when it was the only EV with more than 200 miles range besides Tesla and for 1/4 of a Tesla price. In 2017 there were no Model 3 on the road, only 120-150k $ Tesla. At the time it was relevant. Now… I don’t know for sure, but where I am I see a lot of them on the roads. I have 3 Bolt EV owners on my 20 houses street!
For me, Bolt EV is a very versatile vehicle. People who don’t know Bolt EV have no idea how much space it has and how many things you can cary with it ! I always loved the hatchback and the fact that Tesla M3 has everything but a heated steering wheel is a let down for me. I had a Volt (2014) before my Bolt EV (2019) and my experience with both was great. The Volt Gen 1 was a tank in winter time and I loved it ! The Bolt EV is a great versatile car, the best kept secret of GM, besides the Volt. Unfortunately our neighbors from the South need big things to feel safe or important, so I really think that the Bolt EV will have the same end as the Volt, as well as their first EV1 car in the late 90s.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the problem (as usual for GM) is that the 2017 Bolt was a really good EV on paper and technically as well. The subsequent modest battery range improvement is what attracted me to our 2020 Bolt. However, there were little other tech improvements which really are needed to keep up with newer EVs such as a faster charge rate or over-the-air software updates. With the combination of GM not making continual improvements and the disastrous lack of customer service with the battery recall, the Bolt is relegated to the waste bin with GM not too far behind. China will be relevant for US EVs - GM already imports Chinese made vehicles for sale in the US (Buick Envision).

101 - 120 of 159 Posts