Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got this problem with my driver's side window where it squeaks when you lower or raise it when wet. The following video was taken with just 10 sprits of water from a bottle near the front of the driver's window:

https://vimeo.com/345159013

If I raise/lower the window enough times to "dry" out the window, the squeak will go away. However, I completely forgot about this until recent rain snaps. This also happens after I go through a car wash. I can kinda hear the start of a squeak on the front passenger's window when it's wet, but the rear windows don't make this sound at all regardless of how much water I spray them with.

Dealer has already tried lubing up the entire window which fixed it, albeit, with a hazy drivers window. This lube was temporary, however, as eventually it would dry or wipe away and once gone, the window would squeak again after any rainy day.

Dealer claims there is a bulletin about some others having this issue and the fix was lithium grease. I'm no gear head, but I thought lithium grease was for metal-on-metal lubrication. I am awaiting my dealer to get back to me when they have the special lithium grease shipped from GM.

Anyone else have this issue on the Bolt or other cars? It gets very annoying everytime I pass through a toll booth, drive-through, or a parking garage. It hits the right pitch to send shivers down my spine.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't believe I actually forgot about that vid. I'm a fan of Scotty's as well. Thanks, @PhilBo! I'll pickup a can after work.

Weird thing is, the dealer techs lubed the entire bottom edge of the window (the squeegee?) and when raising/lowering, the lube would deposit across the entire exterior window surface as I could run my finger on the outside to pickup the brown lube but nothing was on the inside. I'm going to try the above video's approach on just the front and back, vertical edges of the window.

Weird that the lube they used was not silicon-based and within a few days of rain, it washed away. Hopefully the silicon lube will work much better.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I can't believe I actually forgot about that vid. I'm a fan of Scotty's as well. Thanks, @PhilBo! I'll pickup a can after work.

Weird thing is, the dealer techs lubed the entire bottom edge of the window (the squeegee?) and when raising/lowering, the lube would deposit across the entire exterior window surface as I could run my finger on the outside to pickup the brown lube but nothing was on the inside. I'm going to try the above video's approach on just the front and back, vertical edges of the window.

Weird that the lube they used was not silicon-based and within a few days of rain, it washed away. Hopefully the silicon lube will work much better.
Be sure to get the waterproof spray silicone otherwise it will just wash off. Hope it works! Let us know.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the WD40 Water Resistant (there appears to be no water proof one, even online) Silicon lubricant on just the front and rear vertical window edges and the squeaks go away for a few days. As I apply more spray when I start to hear squeaks, it would take longer for them to come back. So say after 2 days squeaks return, I add more lube, then it's 3 days until squeaks return. More lube again, now it's 5 days until squeaks return. This will be important as I recount dealer's fix.

So what dealer mean to use the lithium grease for was on the the metal armature that raises/lowers the window. It did not get a callout in my service report so I don't know the part. This failed to make the squeaks go away.

Dealer had also replaced the outside "squeegee" which is this part: https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-parts/gm-insert-94560528?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9ZXh0ZXJpb3ItdHJpbS1mcm9udC1kb29yJmw9MjAmbj1Bc3NlbWJsaWVzIFBhZ2UmYT1jaGV2cm9sZXQmbz1ib2x0LWV2Jnk9MjAxNyZ0PWx0JmU9ZWxlY3RyaWM=

Unfortunately, squeaks are still there. I had mentioned my temporary successes with WD40 (even had the can in the car to show them during service) and suggested they replace the entire glass run weather stripping:

Dealer claimed it wasn't that and that it was deeper inside the door and not the glass run weather stripping. Thing is, that strip runs into the door frame as well, which jives with that the dealer's tech told the service manager. It could also be why when I accumulated more silicon lube in the weather stripping, the squeaks would take longer to return. Essentially, the excess WD40 would be dripping down further into the weather stripping inside the door, actually lubing the location that causes the squeak.

After this failed repair attempt with the lithium grease and metal armature, dealer simply just lubed the glass run window strip again with "super lube" (verbatim) which solved the squeaks. This "super lube" looks like clear vaseline. It appears to be working and isn't as messy as lubing my entire outside window surface. It's been 2 weeks and no squeaks.

I am a bit leery that this lube will last, however. If it lasts even 3 months I'll consider it fixed and will ask if they can tell me what they used so I can get some myself.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darn, last serious rain a few days ago brought the noise back. So annoying.

It seems my quick garden hose test doesn't coax out the squeaks as well as a multi-hour rain period. Once again, even with the window wet from rain, I apply more WD40 Silicon lube and the squeaks go away. It's been days now of dry weather so I don't know if the squeaks are still gone and my garden hose test doesn't coax the squeaks out.

I may need to take my service manager up on their promise to address the problem after the warranty. Problem is, I failed to get the SM to put in writing they would continue to troubleshoot this outside of warranty since it began during the warranty period.

I think the real culprit is the glass run that goes down into the door. I notice if I focus my WD40 Silicon spray into the door along the front and rear edges, the squeaks go away immediately. If I just lube the glass run that I can physically touch, it takes a few applications before the squeaks go away. For a water resistant lube, this WD40 Silicon spray doesn't last under a full day of rain.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting problem. I would have thought that silicone spray would have fixed it. What about trying RainX on the glass? If the rubber won’t slide, then maybe the window will?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the weird part, I had applied Hydro2 which is a sealant / spray wax. Hydrophobic properties kept for easily 2 months. I'm wondering if it did anything to the rubber. I don't think it did, as the driver's window is where the squeak is worse (longest and loudest). Passenger side has a short, single squeak and the rear windows maybe have a squeak every so often during repeated up/down testing. I tested only with a spray bottle and not with gallons of water like from rain.

I'm now letting my Hydro2 coating "wear away" for good in case it is the culprit. Going on 4 months now and the Hydro2 coating should be gone. Water no longer "beads" on my paint anymore and in high friction areas like the window edge, Hydro2 should've been worn away within days/weeks. So I think the Hydro2 is gone from my window and yet squeaks persist.

Oddly, I used the same Hydro2 on my old 2017 Volt and it never developed any squeaks. Same window usage as I have now: I roll the driver's window the most since at work the parking requires a badge swype.

Recent rains confirms it: WD40 only lasts for 3-4 days. Though I'm getting the impression it's getting longer between squeaks. Perhaps the WD40 is slowly making it's way into the glass run rubber tract INSIDE the door panel.

Also, I just noticed that the squeaks now only appear when rolling the window down. After all this WD40 lubing, rolling the window up doesn't result in squeaks any more.

I think I may just carry the WD40 with me daily and when I get to work, keep my window down then apply the WD40 everyday. Maybe this will build-up the lube in the track and cover all of it to put a stop to the squeaks once and for all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
quirkySquirt
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing