Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thinking of getting the windows tinted. What, in your experiences, or if anyone has already done it, are gonna
be the total number of windows charged ? 5 plus the 2 tint front side windows as well ?

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Planning to drive mine to Atlanta to a certified 3M Dealer and get Crystalline 90 on windshield, and 70 on all other windows. Did that on my Volts, and like it very much. Reduces infrared energy entering the car and makes AC more efficient, important in the southeast.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
They charge for every window as a total. In my experiences at least. The front side ones they may include as just the fronts. I plan on going 35% all around, legal limit where I am.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Planning to drive mine to Atlanta to a certified 3M Dealer and get Crystalline 90 on windshield, and 70 on all other windows. Did that on my Volts, and like it very much. Reduces infrared energy entering the car and makes AC more efficient, important in the southeast.
I can at least vouch for the Crystalline 90. I put it on my '12 Volt a few years ago. Can barely even tell it's tinted at all....most people will think there is no tint. Since the Bolt's windshield is so big, I think crystalline on it would be a good investment. All around would be very pricey though, so perhaps a "good enough" tint for the other windows. Plus it only is sold in 90, 70, and 40 tints. If you want to go darker, have to get something other than crystalline.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Your assumptions are correct. Mine's done, looks good, especially because the car is black. Pics to follow soon. 35% (legal in Oregon). Cost was ~250-300. Ceramic type tinting would have been at least twice as much. To answer someone's question, the number after the type of tint is usually the % light that gets let through, 15 is 15% i.e., illegal here and too dark for night driving imho.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just make sure you guys aren't cleaning the windows for at least a week since that might influence the presence of bubbles. Too many people get into cleaning the windows right away especially with cleaners that just make it worse.

Would be great if we can get a poll happening here to see what level tint most people are getting and where the anomalies are.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I would never tint a windshield.
The Crystalline film they are talking about above is basically clear. You really can't tell it's tinted. It's not the black limo look. All it does is cut down on the IR that enters the car and keeps the car cooler. My brother put it on the windshield of his Ford Transit van and you really can't tell it's there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Crystalline film they are talking about above is basically clear. You really can't tell it's tinted. It's not the black limo look. All it does is cut down on the IR that enters the car and keeps the car cooler. My brother put it on the windshield of his Ford Transit van and you really can't tell it's there.
My reasons are more than just visibility. A windshield has many curves, making a defect-free application problematic. Also, all tint degrades over time. If one plans to keep the car for many years, window wear would be bearable; windshield wear, not so much.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Curves isn't an issue when it comes to applying tint.. there are cars with much more curvaceous rear windows that have been tinted before. If your installer is good enough, tinting a windshield would be another day in the office.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Curves isn't an issue when it comes to applying tint.. there are cars with much more curvaceous rear windows that have been tinted before. If your installer is good enough, tinting a windshield would be another day in the office.
Curved, tight corners are the issue.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had both of my Volts tinted at a 3M Crystalline Tint certified dealer, and both times the job was perfect. Honestly, you cannot tell it is there. Absolutely no degradation over the last 5 years in my 2012 Volt. I did state incorrectly in my last post about the numbers. Actually I have 70 on the windshield, and 40 on the remaining windows. It is awesome at keeping the interior cooler. Their demos in the waiting room showing the difference in heat transmittance between conventional tint and crystalline tint is extraordinary. You can FEEL the difference. I highly recommend it, and already have an appointment for the job in a week. It is not cheap. I am a return customer, so getting a 10% discount, but still will be around $600.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I have had both of my Volts tinted at a 3M Crystalline Tint certified dealer, and both times the job was perfect. Honestly, you cannot tell it is there. Absolutely no degradation over the last 5 years in my 2012 Volt. I did state incorrectly in my last post about the numbers. Actually I have 70 on the windshield, and 40 on the remaining windows. It is awesome at keeping the interior cooler. Their demos in the waiting room showing the difference in heat transmittance between conventional tint and crystalline tint is extraordinary. You can FEEL the difference. I highly recommend it, and already have an appointment for the job in a week. It is not cheap. I am a return customer, so getting a 10% discount, but still will be around $600.
I concur. I got Crystalline 70 put on my Volt's windshield 4 years ago.... Still like new! I put ceramic tint on the other windows.

You got your Bolt yet??

·
Registered
70 Posts
I concur. I got Crystalline 70 put on my Volt's windshield 4 years ago.... Still like new! I put ceramic tint on the other windows.

You got your Bolt yet??
Got it yesterday afternoon. Tucked in tight right behind the sleeper, best place to be for least amount of road grime. Picked up from dealer on Monday, and delivered on Friday. OnStar tracking was very helpful. Had to call him and tell him about missing the turn to my house. Overall very happy with end result with Ship a Car Direct. Cost was $200 broker fee, $600 COD, goody bag with things to eat/drink and $20 tip to Ed the truck driver.

Still had some road grunge on it, so took it for its first bath last night at an economy car wash, $1.00 total. Of course the interior is perfect. Very happy with the way it handles on city streets, not been on highway yet. I am 5'8", 165 lbs, and seats are perfectly fine to me. My wife is not as trim, and said her seat wasn't the most comfy, but certainly tolerable. Short drive out to dinner and back, to pharmacy, and to car wash, and back home, and no complaints whatsoever. She liked the ease of getting in and out, and the head and leg room a lot better than our Volts.

Window tinting next Friday, Crystalline 70 on windshield, and Crystalline 40 on all other windows. Have some 3M paint protection film coming to put on door sills, door edges, and on rear just below the hatch opening. Had the complete front end package done on my 2012 Volt, but not 2016 Volt. Just gonna do the wear and tear areas and not worry about the front end and mirrors this time. It is fairly inexpensive to buy the 3M film and put it on flat areas. Putting it on curved areas like the front end and hood and side mirrors...with your wife helping, recipe for divorce...so not EVER going to try that again. Takes a heat gun and a lot of patience and experience with this stuff for curved areas.

Next, to get the interior light bulbs replaced with LED bulbs...interested to know how you are coming with that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts