Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had a weird problem with the windshield cleaning function: it was not spraying for a good 5 seconds straight of pulling the wiper stalk towards me. I did this several times releasing the stalk for a few seconds between attempts. Each time I could hear the pumping motors but nothing was spraying onto the windshield. Wipers wiped as normal. To make sure it wasn't just the wiping motors I heard, I pushed the wiping stalk down to initiate a single wipe and sure enough, the sound of just the wiper motors was different then the windshield cleaning fluid pumps.

On a lark, I pushed the stalk away from me to initiate rear window cleaning pump and it sprayed fluid immediately along with a few wipes.

I again tried pulling the stalk towards me and still no fluid sprayed on the windshield.

I gave up for a few miles then tried again cause the bug carcass/streak was really bothering me. This time, it worked and subsequent attempts worked as well.

Before I take this to the dealer, does washer fluid ever "dry up" in the lines such that it forms blockages? I'd like to see if this happens again before taking it to the dealer as well, and wanted to gather experiences from other car owners.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The same tank is used for the front and back washers. The back washers draw fluid from a higher spot in the tank so they should go dry first if the fluid is low. They have a longer hose though so it’s not always obvious.

Sounds like you had a blockage in the line from the tank to where it splits to the front washers. Maybe ice or crud. It probably isn’t a plugged nozzle as neither side worked.

Easiest way to fix is to separate the hose at a fitting and run the pump. That will clear any obstruction. If it doesn’t fix it, try the next fitting. Easy to do and quick to fix on the road.

My washer fluid (I use purchased fluid, not water) has never dried, but I have had occassional plug-ups over the years. Nothing that the described technique wouldn’t solve.

·
Registered
635 Posts
A properly working system has no delays. There’s a check valve built into the system so there’s no drain Back.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the tips. Even my old Maxima wagon never had this problem. I'm not inclined to diy troubleshoot the issue since it sounds a bit involved. I'll just take it to the dealer if it happens again.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have this issue with my Rear one. Now it is barely coming out.
I will have to play with it.

I also noticed that when I am in Reverse that I can't turn on the rear wiper .... If that is built in it is stupid !

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I also noticed that when I am in Reverse that I can't turn on the rear wiper .... If that is built in it is stupid !
There's a setting that gives you an automatic wipe when you first shift into reverse. I'm not sure if that setting might affect your ability to manually wipe after that...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Lin19687, I don't recall not having rear wipers when in reverse. I have the auto-rear-wipe-if-front-wipers-are-on-and-you're-in-reverse setting turned on, but I've definitely had the rear wiper on in intermittent mode while reversing through a parking lot. I didn't actually try to turn ON the rear wiper while reversing, I had the rear wipers on already.

Are you saying with rear wipers OFF, auto-rear-wiper setting OFF, and in R, you cannot turn on the rear wipers from the wiper stalk? Have you tried turning on the rear wipers before shifting to R? That would be a very weird quirk if you cannot turn on the rear wipers while in R.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Exactly. Turned OFF, put car in R, foot on brake so I could wipe the wet from the rear window before I go any further, nothing.
Was weird.
Just went out and it works now. I think I worked the day after too and it worked in the past. Just a weird glitch ?
But now I get NO washer fluid... sorry I didn't feel like opening hood to check fluid as it goes to the front.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A related issue... I've noticed as the left wiper approaches the the end of its arc, it slows considerably and then comes to a stuttering stop before changing direction.
Is this a design feature or the beginning of a malfunction?
The dealer tech says it is fine.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A related issue... I've noticed as the left wiper approaches the the end of its arc, it slows considerably and then comes to a stuttering stop before changing direction.
Is this a design feature or the beginning of a malfunction?
The dealer tech says it is fine.
I see that on mine as well. It's more noticeable when there's a good rain going and ends up chattering a bit at the end (like, single hop) of the upswing.
@Lin19687, I'll try with the rear wipers already off, shift to R, then try to turn them ON to intermittent then full auto and report back.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I guess my wiper fluid was Very low, took a whole gallon jug ! shocking.

I wonder if the rear wipe issue had something to do with that ?

No issues since I refilled the fluid

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Lin19687, so I finally tried it on dry (yesterday) and wet (today) weather but can't reproduce your results. From a fresh power on, I disable parking brake, shift into reverse, wait for the backup camera to come up, start moving backwards, then turn on intermittent rear wiper (it works) then full auto rear wiper (also works, faster). Only difference was today (wet weather) I had the front wipers on already before shifting out of P. I didn't have the front ones one yesterday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.