Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front windshield got hit by some pebble or similar a week ago. I didn't actually see what it was, and in fact didn't notice anything at the time, but a few days later, I noticed a crack. Whatever it was had actually hit the part of the glass near the A pillar, just outside the visible area. It has since grown to about 6 inches long.

Anybody had any luck with a windshield repair for a good-sized crack, on the Bolt, or is replacement the only option?

Also curious if there's something special about the Bolt's windshield glass. Previous vehicles have had impacts with pebbles as well, resulting in chips/cracks, but nothing more than half an inch in diameter.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Also curious if there's something special about the Bolt's windshield glass. Previous vehicles have had impacts with pebbles as well, resulting in chips/cracks, but nothing more than half an inch in diameter.
Nothing different about the Bolt's windshield. Cracking Vs. Chipping is just luck of the draw. Any chip that has little legs sprouting off it can turn into a crack, though. It only takes hitting a bump the wrong way, or a rapid change in temperature to flex the glass juuuuust right (wrong?).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I had a chip with a small crack, maybe 1/8 to 1/4" in the windshield, it was on the outer boundary of what the DIY kit could fix.. I bought one of the DIY repair kits and tried it out. I became kinda frustrated with it and decided to call a pro. I had already applied the resin and had done every step except put some residual resin in the hole and put the temp plastic patch and put in sun. Well, it took 2 days before the repair tech could make it and I had driven the car around in that time and guess what, the DIY kit repaired the crack and nearly eliminated the chip even though I skipped the last step. Repair guy looked at it and said there was nothing else he could do and that the process I went through is the exact same process that they use. Difference is the kit costs ~$15 - $35 and the pro repair costs ~$200 but may be payed by insurance.

1. Take it by a windshield place and see if they can fix it. If they can, see if it is covered by your insurance (many do).
2. If they say it needs a new windshield, buy one of the DIY repair kits and try it, it won't make it worse.

How big is the crack, can you post a photo?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It could very well be that the Bolt windshield is thinner than "normal", and thus more susceptible to cracking. The Honda Fit EV had a similar problem with windscreens. It was the same shape and size as the ICE version, but was thinner and therefore lighter. Check out (click on link below) the issues Kia is having with mysteriously cracking windshields!

I own a 2017 Bolt Premier with 60K miles on it. I have experienced a similar problem. While driving on the Fwy to work, in April 2018, a small pebble must have hit my windshield, causing a small 1/2" crack. Well, within 3 weeks, that crack expanded to going almost right across my entire windshield. Crazy stuff!

I took the Bolt to the GM dealer closest to my house and complained that maybe these windshields were slightly thinner than "normal" thickness windshields, because the Bolt engineers were trying to reduce the overall weight of the vehicle, to increase the range. The Service Manager bought my "argument", or just wanted to be nice to me, and gave me a free new windshield, parts and labor included!

What an awesome ending to what could have cost me $550 or more....

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 2018 also suffered a crack in the windshield from a small rock hit. It started about 1/2 inch but expanded to about 6 inches within a month. Solution: I got GM to buyback my bolt.:p

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Every insurance I've ever had will pay for chip repair. I think they figure it's better than paying for a windshield when the cracks spread from the chip. Usually windshield replacement is a separate, smaller deductible too. The "standard" for needing replacement is 5 chips total or one that's bigger than a quarter.

Phoenix is really bad with stones in the road. In less than 2 years here, both me and my wife needed replacement windshields. I pay a little extra for full glass coverage so I pay nothing for windshield replacement.

My Bolt with less than 7k miles has one repaired chip and two recent good size chips and I just got a big one with a small crack starting. But I hope to get a buyback before dealing with replacing windshield.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It could very well be that the Bolt windshield is thinner than "normal", and thus more susceptible to cracking.
I have GOT to see the reasoning behind this line of B.S...

And the sheet metal is thinner, and the paint weighs less, and the cloth in the seats is lighter, and the inside of the door panels is filled with helium...and so on and so on...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Modern windshields are generally made of laminated safety glass, a type of treated glass, which consists of, typically, two curved sheets of glass with a plastic layer laminated between them for safety, and bonded into the window frame.
Laminated glass is constructed of two 1.8–2.3 mm thick sheets of glass with a very thin layer (typically 0.76 mm thick) of polyvinyl butyrate (PVB) in between. The PVB layer makes the windshield shatter-proof, which is essential for the safety of the driver and the front passengers.

Click on the link below to help to educate yourself about advances in windshield glass design:

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
A new windshield is about 500-600

A windshield with LKA is 800-1000+ 325 from programing it
I guess I haven't had to replace a windshield with electronics attached to it before. Those must be dealership prices though and not a glass shop. The least I've ever paid was $20 for a used windshield for a VW bug, and the most was $250 for a new windshield in a Subaru Legacy.

Still, repairing a chip should be $40 or less.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My 2018 also suffered a crack in the windshield from a small rock hit. It started about 1/2 inch but expanded to about 6 inches within a month. Solution: I got GM to buyback my bolt.:p
How much did they ding you on repurchase for that?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I guess I haven't had to replace a windshield with electronics attached to it before. Those must be dealership prices though and not a glass shop. The least I've ever paid was $20 for a used windshield for a VW bug, and the most was $250 for a new windshield in a Subaru Legacy.

Still, repairing a chip should be $40 or less.
Local glass shop was 1k for glass. Plus a seperate resync fee dealer only

Safelight was 800+ 325 to sync the glass.. replacement glass was 500... goodluck pulling used glass on such a new car.

Dealer I didn't even bother asking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts