Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not notice this until I drove my car into the sun. The windshield looks to have "sparklies" all over that refract the light and look like the windshield is covered with glitter. At first I thought it was possibly tree sap or oil droplets, but have washed the windshield multiple times and used a window cleaner to clean it more thoroughly but the glitter is still there.

After several years my Saab had something similar due to driving on the freeway with gravel and sand trucks without covered loads, but I have not shared the road with sand trucks with the Bolt and I noticed it pretty soon after purchase. Here in Seattle May and June don't have that many opportunities to drive in the sun much less driving into it.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this a mfg. defect of the windshield glass?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see sparkles too

I have seen this also. Tried washing it away. No luck. Only see it when driving toward sun -- morning commute mostly. I'm usually wearing polarized sunglasses. Next time I see it I'll try to remember to remove sunglasses and see what that does.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Windshield

I am not wearing sunglasses. Transition lenses, but not polarized.

Would love to have Chevy respond to this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Saw the sparkles again early this morning while driving east into the sun. Took off my polarized sunglasses -- sparkles still there. Looks like it's in the glass.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have to assume that Chevrolet either does not monitor this forum or just has no desire to address issues raised here.

I took my Bolt to the dealer from whom I purchased it and received confirmation there was pitting in the windshield, but if all the sparkles I see are pits then the windshield was sand blasted while in transit. However from the above responses it may be that what we are seeing is a fleet wide manufacturing defect in the windshields.

I have requested my windshield be replaced under warranty and Chevy is making the dealer and me jump through a series of hoops to get approval. I have to leave the car with the dealer for a day or days (will leave it while on a trip) where the dealer will thoroughly clean the windshield and take pictures to submit to Chevy.

I took a picture the last sunny day we had (pretty rare thing in Seattle after mid October). I have the feeling that the issue is more widespread than "sandblasting" the windshields during delivery and has something to do with the manufacturing process.

I would urge all owners to get this issue documented at the dealer ASAP so if there is an issue with the integrity of the windshield it possibly be covered under warranty.

For myself, I initially had decided to just live with it and I then got thinking about a) safety b) resale value.

TD

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
One of my previous car had its windshield pitted like this after a few drives through the desert on windy days. Sandstroms or sand in the wind, like when at a beach for instance, can do this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
While my windshield is not pitted (yet), I have noticed that the front windshield collects dirt fairly fast and it sticks. The rear window is ridiculous and is a dirt magnet which probably has to do with the aerodynamic properties of the rear design. I remember a similar discussion on my old BMW 328ic and it was theorized that it has to do with the 'softness' of the glass. Softer glass might be more vulnerable to pits and dirt than a harder glass. I'm not sure my self, but I've noticed that the Bolt's windows do appear to be stickier for dirt. A wax based window cleaner like RainX may help. Haven't tried it yet on my Bolt.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have to assume that Chevrolet either does not monitor this forum or just has no desire to address issues raised here.
TD
That image looks like contaminates to me :confused: Have you tried using 0000 steel wool ?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-0320-Steel-Super/dp/B001JYVDSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508448003&sr=8-1&keywords=1000+steel+wool[/ame]

·
Registered
989 Posts
A razor blade could be a lot easier on the windshield than steel wool.
Well you wouldn't want to use the steel wool without some type of cleaner too.
It acts as a lubricant.
It's much better than a blade and its much safer too :eek:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Huh, I thought it was just inside dirt. I had noticed this too when I got my Bolt. Mine are sparkles plus some short 1mm long lines. I thought the dealer had cleaned my windshield with a dirty, sand-encrusted rag, but when I cleaned the outside it was still present. When I finally started rubbing my greasy hands on the glass from the inside to see if it was scratches, the sparkles and lines disappeared. I chocked it up to dirt on the inside of the window and thought nothing more until I got around to cleaning it myself. Now I'm wondering if perhaps the grease from my hands filled in these tiny pits/scratches to obscure them. Sorta how wax can hide faint hair-line scratches in your paint.

Dang it, this better not be defective glass. Am glad this thread popped up. Only 3 weeks of ownership for me so I can probably still bring this up with dealer.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
FWIW, I just cleaned the inside of the windshield with Windex while facing into the afternoon sun; no indication of pitting.

BTW, it takes really long arm to reach the inside base of the windshield.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Did you think you had pitting before you cleaned your windshield, Packard V8? That is, you saw pitting and tried cleaning first in case it was just dirt?

Cause if it was just dirt, I have hope in cleaning my windshield.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just noticed this as well yesterday on my month old Bolt. I will try cleaning the inside to see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
One1whaoo. / drdeisel1 / Sean Nelson / quirkySquirt :

Multiple YouTube videos confirm how safe and effective 0000 steel wool is in windscreen cleaning. Here are two (you don't have to watch it all to get the gist):

{outside}

{inside}

·
Registered
989 Posts
Skip 1 with the dry towel. I don't use and DO NOT recommend to use the Magic Eraser.
You can get the white non scratch scrub sponge for the inside and just use window cleaner
on them and then finish with a microfiber towel. For the outside, I used the 0000 steel wool
pads with window cleaner and then re-spray and wipe it with a microfiber. I also use Rain-X
and similar products to seal the glass after it's been cleaned. This helps to reduce contaminates.

I also use cleaners on my wiper blades every time I wash the car. You can use window cleaner,
washer solvent or Rain-X. I use Bead Maker, but you won't find it unless you buy it from P&S.

They're a dealer chemical supplier for the detail department and are based in CA. Good Stuff!

http://psdetailproducts.com/i-23875428-bead-maker-paint-protectant.html

1 - 20 of 28 Posts