Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having this annoying spot or trace in the bottom corner each time you shoot some windshield washer? It's like if the washer fluid was accumulating in the corner where the wipers don't touch and then the excess of washer fluid runs all the way up.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas

·
Premium Member
2018 Bolt Premier
199 Posts
That doesn’t happen on my 2018 with OEM wipers and the cheapest WWF I can find, I don’t use the good juice until it get really cold in late January February.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That doesn’t happen on my 2018 with OEM wipers and the cheapest WWF I can find, I don’t use the good juice until it get really cold in late January February.
the oem was doing the same and I just replaced a few days for RainX because of that and also because they were not squeegeeing good on their returning home direction

every time I have to reapply washer to clear that mess but it recreates that mess lol

·
Registered
797 Posts
gee I can't be the only one...

I am using Rainx fluid and 26inch Rainx wipers on both driver and passenger side like recommended. Maybe if I try a 27inch on driver side?
I'd sometimes get a single streak, but hitting the wiper one more time would clear it off. I probably micromanage the wipers when running wiper fluid, so maybe that's why I never had this problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd sometimes get a single streak, but hitting the wiper one more time would clear it off. I probably micromanage the wipers when running wiper fluid, so maybe that's why I never had this problem.
I understand but the fluid stays there in that corner that is never touched by the wiper and it is kind of a big deadzone there

·
Registered
797 Posts
I understand but the fluid stays there in that corner that is never touched by the wiper and it is kind of a big deadzone there
Kind of looks like the bottom part of your wiper might not be making good contact with the windshield during that wipe.

How fast are you driving when you run the clean cycle?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kind of looks like the bottom part of your wiper might not be making good contact with the windshield during that wipe.

How fast are you driving when you run the clean cycle?
From what I am seeing the wiper is definitely making good contact everywhere it touches. What is happening is that the fluid on the windshield gets wiped and pushed on the side but also in that bottom left corner. This is kind of normal because that fluid needs to go somewhere and it is what it is because of this wiper concept. BUT, a lot of fluid is accumulating there and like you can see on the picture there is quite a big spot in that corner. Now just to specify I don't go crazy with the quantity of washer fluid I use not more then any other car I use. I tap the wiper lever maybe 1 second to shoot the washer from the nozzles and the wipers are doing there thing.

I am really puzzled here because it shouldn't be different then any other car? Is it because my wipers are flex? is it because it is RainX fluid? or maybe nozzle adjustment?

Should I try 27inch wiper instead of 26?

oh and yea highway speed. I do most of my travel on highway

·
Registered
53 Posts
No expert here but, check the "A" pilar shape as it joins the base of the body. On my "22" it has to be an inch and a half if not a littler deeper. I think that the washer fluid is getting trapped there and as it dries, the dirt, salt, what ever is showing up in that lower corner. Most cars have a flush fit at the "A" pilar and all that fluid and dirt is just blown off to the side.

Scott

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I installed a 28inch wiper to replace the 26inch (recommended size) and no interference. So time will tell if I get improvements

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Anyone having this annoying spot or trace in the bottom corner each time you shoot some windshield washer? It's like if the washer fluid was accumulating in the corner where the wipers don't touch and then the excess of washer fluid runs all the way up.
Haven't had that, but FWIW:
On my previous car on windshield I got light not terribly awful, but noticeable, water spotting all over the area the wipers didn't sweep.
It looked like light harmless spotting that would easily clean off with simple weak soap solution.
But no such luck. Would not come out with Windex or any heavy duty claimed window cleaner.
In fact somehow the spots appeared to be very lightly etched into the glass.
Only thing that would remove them was hard scrubbing with optical polishing compound (jeweler's rouge or cerium oxide powder.)
I mention this and that last sentence in case it turns out that spot is stubborn as mine were.

Alex

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT - Kinetic Blue
206 Posts
My dad is an avid car detailer and I can say without a doubt that your windshield has never had a DEEP clean.

1) Window cleaner (Invisible Glass is my preferred, but use whatever you like) and a microfiber
a) Soak half the windshield with the glass cleaner and wipe the entire wetted surface with the microfiber for about 10 seconds
b) Flip the microfiber and wipe it again, don't worry about getting it streak-free
c) Repeat on the opposite side of the window the same way with a fresh side of the microfiber towel
2) Repeat Step 1 a second time with a fresh microfiber towel
3) Use a polymeric detailers clay bar and a spray bottle with very dilute car soap for lubrication (plenty of videos online of the process, I suggest AMMO NYC)
4) Polish out the windshield (machine polish preferred) with finishing polish (Meguiar's M210, or Meguiar's Ultimate Polish you can pick up cheap at any Autozone)
5) At this point you should be able run your hand across the glass in a ziplock bag without feeling any roughness like sandpaper
6) Repeat Step 1 but with 50:50 isopropyl alcohol and distilled water
7) Ceramic coat (don't use RainX products, they are outdated junk) - Gtechniq G1 or Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light are my preferred products
8) Drain the washer reservoir and refill with generic fluid, since you have a hydrophobic windshield and the RainX fluid will interfere with its affectiveness

Even if you don't do a ceramic coating the clay bar and polish will amaze you with how well rain and washer fluid flow off the windshield, the ceramic coating will just ensure you have good performance for a year or more (assuming washing routinely). Ceramic coating will also make cleaning much easier, just make sure you have a well-prepared and clean surface when you go to apply it to ensure proper adhesion.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My dad is an avid car detailer and I can say without a doubt that your windshield has never had a DEEP clean.

1) Window cleaner (Invisible Glass is my preferred, but use whatever you like) and a microfiber
a) Soak half the windshield with the glass cleaner and wipe the entire wetted surface with the microfiber for about 10 seconds
b) Flip the microfiber and wipe it again, don't worry about getting it streak-free
c) Repeat on the opposite side of the window the same way with a fresh side of the microfiber towel
2) Repeat Step 1 a second time with a fresh microfiber towel
3) Use a polymeric detailers clay bar and a spray bottle with very dilute car soap for lubrication (plenty of videos online of the process, I suggest AMMO NYC)
4) Polish out the windshield (machine polish preferred) with finishing polish (Meguiar's M210, or Meguiar's Ultimate Polish you can pick up cheap at any Autozone)
5) At this point you should be able run your hand across the glass in a ziplock bag without feeling any roughness like sandpaper
6) Repeat Step 1 but with 50:50 isopropyl alcohol and distilled water
7) Ceramic coat (don't use RainX products, they are outdated junk) - Gtechniq G1 or Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light are my preferred products
8) Drain the washer reservoir and refill with generic fluid, since you have a hydrophobic windshield and the RainX fluid will interfere with its affectiveness

Even if you don't do a ceramic coating the clay bar and polish will amaze you with how well rain and washer fluid flow off the windshield, the ceramic coating will just ensure you have good performance for a year or more (assuming washing routinely). Ceramic coating will also make cleaning much easier, just make sure you have a well-prepared and clean surface when you go to apply it to ensure proper adhesion.
I will try this soon enough

So after installing a 28inch wiper on the drivers side the issue is still present but there is a little bit less of a lake of washer fluid so a little bit less of upstream flowing liquid yet still present...
If I do a second dry pass of wiper to sweep that excess buildup it will remove the buildup but will haze the rest of the windshield and make it dirty again...
I kinda wish the wipers configuration be like #8 below

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
330 Posts
I can't tell from your picture but is the wiper sitting in the proper home position which is generally below the hood line. If it sits too high it can catch the air stream that is moving across the hood and up onto the windshield.
The other item is to verify the aim of the nozzle is high enough. Since you say it is creating a lac in the lower corner then it sounds like maybe too much fluid is getting there in the first place?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't tell from your picture but is the wiper sitting in the proper home position which is generally below the hood line. If it sits too high it can catch the air stream that is moving across the hood and up onto the windshield.
The other item is to verify the aim of the nozzle is high enough. Since you say it is creating a lac in the lower corner then it sounds like maybe too much fluid is getting there in the first place?
Yes the home position is below the hood line. Funny you say that cuz I had the 2 motors replaced under warranty for a similar issue you are describing. The wiping path was sometimes only 3/4 before going up again on intermittent mode.

lake, not lac loll is not because of the nozzle but rather the liquid the wiper is pushing towards the left

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
330 Posts
Yes the home position is below the hood line. Funny you say that cuz I had the 2 motors replaced under warranty for a similar issue you are describing. The wiping path was sometimes only 3/4 before going up again on intermittent mode.

lake, not lac loll is not because of the nozzle but rather the liquid the wiper is pushing towards the left
I'm fine with lac and with bière as well!
So if the home position is OK then what about being level. Is the wiper sitting level from side to side when it is in the home position.
It shouldn't be pushing the fluid to the left so something is going on...in the whole stoke of the wiper blade the passenger side of the blade will always be higher so the fluid will push down and to the passenger side due to the angle and then at home it should basically level out and the fluid should drain straight down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm fine with lac and with bière as well!
So if the home position is OK then what about being level. Is the wiper sitting level from side to side when it is in the home position.
It shouldn't be pushing the fluid to the left so something is going on...in the whole stoke of the wiper blade the passenger side of the blade will always be higher so the fluid will push down and to the passenger side due to the angle and then at home it should basically level out and the fluid should drain straight down.
Woh man! to be honest this text is hard for me to understand.
My driver blade when at home position, is on top of the passenger blade when at home position. so when activated the driver's blade goes first towards the left and brings half of the windshield's liquid with it and all the way to the left and bottom left of the windshield. hope it makes sense

maybe I should find a way to film the thing in action

1 - 20 of 32 Posts