Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have trouble with the windshield wipers?

I live in Pennsylvania and see our fair share of ice and snow. The first issue I have is that they are not very powerful. You pretty much have to dig them out for them to operate. The recessed area they sleep in also gets no heat from the defroster.

Second, if they get hung up on ice/snow/whatever, they can get out of sync from each other and interlock.

Lastly (and more concerning), I've had the driver side wiper just stop working. It seems to be caused by issue number 1, however, appears to be a software fault. It simply won't move again until I power the car off and on again. I have yet to see it happen with the passenger side.

Has anyone seen these issues, especially the last one?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Haven't had any issues with my wipers so far, and I used them during the most recent Noreaster. Your last issue is certainly concerning, and may warrant a dealer visit because it represents a safety issue. Can't afford for that to go out on you in the middle of the freeway during a rainstorm/snowstorm.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I had the synchronization issue last week with snow on the Bolt (I'm sitting on the deck while I type this on a wonderful 75F day a week later.) I had cleaned off one side of the windshield and accidentally hit the wiper switch before I had cleaned off the other side. The driver side that was clear and wiped properly while the passenger side got hung up in the snow. I instantly shut off the wipers and when the driver side returned to rest, the passenger side was slightly askew from where it should be when off. I cleaned off the entire windshield and when I turned the wipers back on, the only thing that happened was that the passenger wiper was twitching like a spider's leg after you squish it. I shut off the car and manually moved both wipers manually a little bit up the windshield. I turned the car back on, turned on the wipers and let them wipe once. When they went back to resting position. I powered the car off and back on again and everything was back to normal.

It seems that since there are separate motors for each wiper, the computer must monitor their positions during the wipers' cycle so that there is no collision if the wipers get out of sync. If it is out of sync, the wipers will not operate until the car is power cycled and the wipers return to their proper resting positions.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
What little snow I get did highlight the issues you've been seeing, @eebrenner, regarding the low-parking area for the wipers and sync.

The worst experience is reading about others who experience freezing while the wipers are actively wiping. They accumulate ice in the parked area and along the A pillars on the windshield.

Agree that the current design of the wipers w/r to freezing is terrible. Even though ideally you're supposed to prop-up your wipers before expected snowfall, sometimes you don't expect it and it's too late. There's also the wind that pushes your wipers back down.

Next time I expect snow, I plan on turning on my wipers the day prior and stopping them while they're pointed up along the windshield and not parked at the bottom. You can accomplish this by turning off your Bolt when the wipers are vertical (may take some tries to get the hang of it). Then, next day you precondition (make sure to set your HVAC to heat and windshield) and the wipers will get thawed from heat hitting the windshield.

You'll still have to (carefully) sweep all the snow off around the wipers but the warmer windshield should allow your wipers to thaw free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you taken it to the dealer for this? My '18 Bolt is at the dealer currently for this issue. The wipers, in particular the drivers side, falls out of sync and sometimes doesn't park. It gets stuck in the middle of the windshield.

Other times, drivers side doesn't "wipe" to the bottom of the windshield and stays in the upper 1/3 of the window. Not too helpful in the rain. GM has released updated motors (both driver and passenger) with updated software built-in that's supposed to correct this issue.
However, the tech told me it currently applies to Canada Bolts only. The dealer tech opened up a TAC case with GM corporate and is awaiting their response.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
GM has released updated motors (both driver and passenger) with updated software built-in that's supposed to correct this issue.
However, the tech told me it currently applies to Canada Bolts only.
The fix for Canadian Bolts is to prevent the wipers from stalling in freezing conditions or with a heavy snow load, but it sounds like it might solve your problem too.

I drive a Canadian Bolt and I've never had a problem with the wipers. But I live in Vancouver which hardly counts as Canada weather-wise, and I haven't had to use them with very much snow on the windshield.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Have you taken it to the dealer for this? My '18 Bolt is at the dealer currently for this issue. The wipers, in particular the drivers side, falls out of sync and sometimes doesn't park. It gets stuck in the middle of the windshield.

Other times, drivers side doesn't "wipe" to the bottom of the windshield and stays in the upper 1/3 of the window. Not too helpful in the rain. GM has released updated motors (both driver and passenger) with updated software built-in that's supposed to correct this issue.
However, the tech told me it currently applies to Canada Bolts only. The dealer tech opened up a TAC case with GM corporate and is awaiting their response.
Keep us posted on this plz.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts