Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...in Seattle, and we recently had fall rain make an appearance. While using the front windshield wiper on a constant swing setting (not intermittent), I noticed that the driver side wiper, after a few minutes of use, did not do a complete arc every few swipes. The windshield is cleared of water, so that is not an issue, but just seems odd. Anyone else noticing this? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I don't have a Bolt yet so I can't answer your question, but I believe the Bolt uses stepper or servo motors to directly run the windshield wipers rather than a conventional rotary motor with a mechanism to convert it's motion into the bidirectional arc needed for the wipers. What that means is that the wiper action could potentially be controlled by the vehicle control computer, and it may be that they've programmed it that way for some particular reason.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi all...in Seattle, and we recently had fall rain make an appearance. While using the front windshield wiper on a constant swing setting (not intermittent), I noticed that the driver side wiper, after a few minutes of use, did not do a complete arc every few swipes. The windshield is cleared of water, so that is not an issue, but just seems odd. Anyone else noticing this? Thanks.
I don't think i've seen mine do it but now since you pointed it out, the next time it rains i'll be busy starting at my wipers to see if it does, lol.

The one thing I have noticed and this may be what you saw is that if one of the blades drags or stutters the other blade seems to adjust its speed to match so it doesn't smack into each other. So maybe the right one was going a little faster than the left one and the left one just adjusted the distance to compensate.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Seattle owner here as well, I've only used the wipers on intermittent setting but will try it on slow or fast setting next time. Do you have a more exact estimate of how long before the incomplete arcs appear? Does "a few minutes" mean more than 5 minutes? 15?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seattle owner here as well, I've only used the wipers on intermittent setting but will try it on slow or fast setting next time. Do you have a more exact estimate of how long before the incomplete arcs appear? Does "a few minutes" mean more than 5 minutes? 15?
Less than 5 minutes, I believe.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I noticed than in intermittent mode the driver side wiper do not rest all the way down on the windshield. It is very clear when the wipers are in intermittent mode and resting at the bottom of the windshield and then you set the wipers to OFF, the driver side wiper will be moving down to rest in its lower, tucked in, position.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Today had lots of rain and I was forced to use the slow wiper setting (not intermittent). I ran it for a good 15 minutes straight but didn't notice any incomplete cycles, though I wasn't really paying attention to it. It was raining pretty well so if the driver's wiper skipped a wipe, I would've noticed due to lack of visibility. I did not try fast mode, unfortunately.

I noticed than in intermittent mode the driver side wiper do not rest all the way down on the windshield. It is very clear when the wipers are in intermittent mode and resting at the bottom of the windshield and then you set the wipers to OFF, the driver side wiper will be moving down to rest in its lower, tucked in, position.
I get this too. I think it's an aero thing to store the wipers down lower when off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This just started happening to me too. Used to be the left (driver's) wiper blade would go down to about 2 inches above the bottom of the windshield and then go up again. Now it stops about 9 inches above the bottom of the windshield and goes up again. Every once in a while it will go down the normal amount but 9 times out of 10 its hanging too high before going up again. When the problem first started, I only noticed this when in intermittent mode. Now it is also happening in regular (non-intermittent) wiper mode.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Is this part of why Canada had a recall on the wiper motor?
I don't know. I've had the wiper motor recall done on my Bolt and have never noticed a difference. I got the impression that the issue was that the motor would stall with a snow load on the windshield, but that was just an impression and not something I ever saw written anywhere.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is what the wiper recall addressed:

Certain vehicles may experience front windshield wiper stall during cold, snowy conditions due to a software error. If one or both windshield wipers were to stall, this could limit the driver's visibility, increasing the risk of a crash causing injury and/or damage to property. Correction: Dealers will replace the front wiper motors with wiper motors containing improved software.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have this exact "problem" - the wiper clears the rain but I'm worried that the driver-side motor will eventually fail. I didn't know there was already a post for this in 2017 because I never had an issue with my 2017. I've had it since Day 1 on my 2019, though, and in warm and cold weather. Like JC, my stalls happen sporadically and, for me, more like 3 out of 10 wipes stall.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine was doing this constantly while driving through rain last Saturday. I tried turning the wipers off and back on and switching between intermittent and regular wiping but nothing helped so I scheduled an appointment with the dealer. Then, from Monday to Wednesday I tried the wipers every day and they worked perfectly normally each time (figures, since the appointment was for Thursday). So, I cancelled the appointment on Wed. and will re-schedule when it happens again. I still have 15 months and 15k miles of b2b warranty left so I can afford to wait awhile.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Mine was doing this constantly while driving through rain last Saturday. I tried turning the wipers off and back on and switching between intermittent and regular wiping but nothing helped so I scheduled an appointment with the dealer. Then, from Monday to Wednesday I tried the wipers every day and they worked perfectly normally each time (figures, since the appointment was for Thursday). So, I cancelled the appointment on Wed. and will re-schedule when it happens again. I still have 15 months and 15k miles of b2b warranty left so I can afford to wait awhile.
You should call them to let them know what happened and that it stopped. See if they have heard of it. They may just want to replace something now if they have had this issue before :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you have someone in the car with you and this fails again, ask them to make a short video to show the dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts