Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This recall notice has shown up on the Canadian Chevrolet Owner Centre website; has it appeared in the US yet?

GM Recall #:
N182148180
Transport Canada Recall #:
XXXXX
Date Issued:
Jan 04, 2018
Recall Title:

Front Windshield Wiper Stall

Recall Description:

Certain 2017-2018 Model Year Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicles may experience front windshield wiper stall when coming out of the park position at specific angles during unique cold, snowy conditions, due to a software calculation error.

Safety Risk Description:

If one or both windshield wipers were to stall, it may impair the driver’s visibility under certain operating conditions, increasing the risk of a crash causing injury and/or damage to property.

Repair Description:

Dealers will replace the front wiper motors with new wiper motors equipped with an improved software algorithm.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I doubt that's why my passenger-side wiper stalled a few months ago. It was due to a frozen wiper and once I got enough heat and wiper fluid coating it, it dislodged and started working.

Very weird recall.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I doubt that's why my passenger-side wiper stalled a few months ago. It was due to a frozen wiper and once I got enough heat and wiper fluid coating it, it dislodged and started working.

In my case, the wiper was frozen from water and then came free after a while. But when it came free, it wouldn't move on the window and was stuck at about a 45 degree angle. When it was stuck at that angle, it wasn't due to being frozen on the windshield and I thought the motor was broken. I had to shut the wipers off and then back on then it started working again. So it looks like the wiper isn't broken and perhaps the recall will resolve this problem.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yup, and on the other threads the users that had issues also reported that the wipers were either stuck or out of sync. It does appear to be an issue with the independent motors controlling the wipers. Wonder if they’ll expand this recall for all Bolt owners.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,049 Posts
Yes, I just noticed on myChevrolet app that recall is showing up on mine. There wasn't anything there a month ago.

My last vehicle a Trax had a recall for misaligned wiper motors, two years from new. It was nice of GM to give me a free new set of OEM wiper blades. My Bolt's wiper blades are still pretty good so I won't be rushing to get this recall done (once GM figures it out) for a while yet.:eek:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
This out-of-sync/non-functioning wiper happened a few weeks ago on my wife's Bolt due to snow on the windshield. The first thing that she said was "What if this happens when I'm driving?" Now I am seeing this recall in Canada. Hey Chevy! We get snow and ice down here in Virginia too!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Just refreshed my app to check on it again. Still no wiper recall. However... The loss of propulsion recall just popped up. (Wasn’t there yesterday.) Build date 9/17.
Don't have app access, but plugged in my VIN on GM's recall website and I got the same results as you.

Hmmm, maybe the Wiper recall will eventually make it's way down south to the US.

·
Registered
70 Posts
These technically are not recalls. In the US, recalls are issued via NTSB. These are called "programs" and are issued directly from GM to the owner. Less severe than recalls, they are updates/corrections to problems that they have found. In the case of the wipers, Chevy is letting you know that they are aware of the problem, are figuring out a solution, and will let you know when they figure out a fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was suppose to pick up my 2018 Bolt last week but the dealership called and told me about this recall and now they will not release the car to me until is fixed. How long is this going to take? Do I not have the rights to have the car and take the risk of the wiper not working properly?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yeah CCWong, like everybody else? The refusal of the dealer to release the car to you seems pathetic. This isn't a recall (yet): it's just an advisory. There is no remedy yet: the replacement wiper motors aren't available at this time. This appears to be a 'cold weather only' problem, and the weather is warming as we approach May. It appears to be a 'start up only' issue: it only happens when you turn on the wipers, so the driver could mitigate the problem by simply cycling the wiper control with a quick flip of the switch.

·
Registered
Bolt Lt, 2017
41 Posts
The recall in Canada for the wipers is a safety recall issued by Transport Canada. It is not an advisory, it is a safety recall to address a crash risk in 2754 Bolts sold in Canada. Likely illegal in Canada to sell a car that is deemed unsafe by the Transport Canada, but I am not a lawyer. Not sure if that would apply to a used Bolt as well but here you have to have a safety certificate to sell a car. Fortunately cold snowy conditions have ended for a few months, so the reality is that there is plenty of time for GM to resolve this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was been more than 3 weeks since I was suppose to pick up my Bolt and the dealership tells me to call GM and when I finally reached someone at GM, they told me they need to talk to the dealership. GM has no ideal how long this will take. GM will not provide me a loaner car as it is not delivered officially and not under warranty. Very shocking that a recall can takes so long and I don't have a car. Very frustrating! My 1st GM car and the experience has been terrible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
same situation here: April 6, signed ownership papers after driving my Bolt 2017 with salesperson; April 9 get call from salesperson saying recall in effect, can't deliver; when was recall? April 4. Thanks GM! Still waiting, GM has no idea of timeline for fix.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I got a letter today saying that "parts are available to repair your vehicle" for the wiper motor recall and that I should book an appointment to have the work performed. They reference "new wiper motors equipped with an improved software algorithm" to solve "front windshield wiper stall when coming out of the park position at specific angles during unique cold, snowy conditions, due to a software calculation error".

·
Registered
6 Posts
wiper recall update

I was told by my salesperson that my wiper recall issue had been fixed / installed on June 21, and that GM should be "clearing" my vehicle from the recall for delivery on June 25. Fingers crossed. GM has promised some compensation for the confounding situation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts