Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone has seen their windshield wipers frozen and stuck on their windshield after rain getting frozen overnight causing the windshield wipers to freeze and getting stuck on the windshield? It seems the water drainage at the windshield is not good! Please advise. Thank you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ooooo, you're opening a huge can of fresh wriggling worms. It's been discussed before. One camp will call you an idiot for not knowing how to handle winter and how dare you say anything bad about GM, the other camp will tell you to preheat the car for a long time and blow hot air onto the windshield constantly and NEVER turn off your wipers, not even for a few seconds.<putting on flame suit>

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ooooo, you're opening a huge can of fresh wriggling worms. It's been discussed before. One camp will call you an idiot for not knowing how to handle winter and how dare you say anything bad about GM, the other camp will tell you to preheat the car for a long time and blow hot air onto the windshield constantly and NEVER turn off your wipers, not even for a few seconds.<putting on flame suit>
Ooooooh I remember those conversations ;)

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/178-...sues-problems/21249-winshield-wipers-bad.html

and this one

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/162-chevy-bolt-ev-likes-dislikes/18922-frozen-wipers.html

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yep, this happened to me too. Despite reading the above two threads already, I still forgot to prop up my wipers when snow was expected. Overnight with 26F temps and just 2" of snow, my right wiper (sitting in driver's seat) was still frozen. Even with 30 min of preconditioning and 76F HVAC blowing on the windshield and all snow brushed off, right wiper was frozen. Another 15 minutes of heat, driving vibration, and lots of windshield wiper fluid (it dripped down onto the right wiper), I finally got the right wiper unstuck.

Honestly, the wiper location for the Bolt is terrible. I understand it's for aero, but couldn't they have added some defrosting wire near the wipers or deflect more of the HVAC hear to the bottom of the windshield as well?

Reactions: Gwatt and ibboltin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Everyone,

Thanks your feedback and comments. Is GM or Chevy award of this problem and has there been any recalls or memos to the Chevy dealers on how to fix this problem? To me it seems like a design issue. The wipers shouldn’t be freezing if it was raining and then the rain froze and turned into ice! If it’s snow, then that’s a different issue, we should remove the wipers up off the windshield when we know it will be snowing, but I never heard of this issue for water turning into ice! This is just a bad design!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have also experienced the windshield wiper fluid not working in very cold weather, which was definitely a safety issue, since I was driving down a highly salted interstate at, you know, the marked speed limit. The rear window fluid worked, but not the front. Thankfully it was daytime. I now keep a spray bottle with cold weather wiper fluid in it and a roll of blue contractor-grade paper towels in my Bolt, in case it happens again. The two issues are likely related.

Has anyone else had their wiper fluid stop working?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have also experienced the windshield wiper fluid not working in very cold weather, which was definitely a safety issue, since I was driving down a highly salted interstate at, you know, the marked speed limit. The rear window fluid worked, but not the front. Thankfully it was daytime. I now keep a spray bottle with cold weather wiper fluid in it and a roll of blue contractor-grade paper towels in my Bolt, in case it happens again.
That's actually a good idea. I already have window cleaner and the blue shop towels in the car, just need to fill up one for the windshield wiper fluid. Thanks!

EDIT: I just had an idea, what if we turned on our wipers and during mid swing when it's above the stowage position, we just shutoff the Bolt? That way, when we precondition, the heat from the defrosters will actually hit the windshield glass under the wipers and melt the ice!

This assumes that:

1. Turning off Bolt mid-wipe will leave wipers "up" and not stowed.
2. Preconditioning doesn't resume the wiper sequence, putting stress on frozen wipers.
3. Clearing a windshield with wipers in the way is tolerable.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
This assumes that:

1. Turning off Bolt mid-wipe will leave wipers "up" and not stowed.
It does leave the wipers wherever they happen to be when you hit the "off" switch. The big question is whether or not the car would try to stow them when it starts to precondition. It'll certainly try to stow them when you turn it "on".

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It does leave the wipers wherever they happen to be when you hit the "off" switch. The big question is whether or not the car would try to stow them when it starts to precondition. It'll certainly try to stow them when you turn it "on".
So I tested this today and results are:

1. Window wipers will stay up-swung at Bolt power off. I set wipers to continuous-slow to better time when the wipers are up-swung when I hit the Bolt's START/STOP "ignition" button.
2. Before turning the wiper stalk to OFF after the Bolt is off, open the driver's door. If you don't, when you return the wiper stalk to OFF, the wipers will return to the stowed position even though the Bolt is off. Probably the driver's door opening is shutting off the 12V accessories as well (e.g., the "cigarette" lighter port, radio) which includes the wipers.
3. Preconditioning car does NOT trigger the wipers to return to their stowed position. The wipers stay exactly where you left them: in the up-swung position.
4. When you enter the Bolt and turn it on, the wipers will return to their stowed position.
5. The wipers will leave a line on your windshield. Not sure if this is from dirt but it takes a 2-3 wiper fluid squirts and some continuous wiper usage to clean them off. Probably just dirt from the wipers sticking to your windshield where you can see them.

We're supposed to get some snow tonight. Not cold enough to freeze so no accumulation. But I'll see if the precondition melts the snow around the up-swung wipers enough to turn the snow to slush.

Reactions: Sean Nelson

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't own a Bolt (yet), but I've been lurking for a long time.
Has anybody considered going to the source? How about a plastic deflector at the defroster vents that forces air flow to the base of the windshield? Fasten it with velcro and just use it when the weather is going to be s--ty and cold

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh, yes. I've had this problem multiple times. This is most definitely an oversight with the design. It doesn't matter how much heat you throw at the windshield, it's not going to be enough to thaw the wipers if it's more than a few degrees below freezing outside. There needs to be defroster traces at the base of the windshield where the wipers park. The rear wiper has it, why not the front ones?

The wipers park below the dash and well below where the defrosters hit the windshield. Even if you do get the wipers free, have fun with them not parking right because the trough is full of snow/ice. I've even had mine free, shut them off for a couple miles, then had to pull over to break them free again after spray from oncoming traffic re-froze them to the windshield. Also, you are limited on how many times you can try to free them under their own power before they lock out and you need to restart the car to re-activate them.

As for stopping the wipers, they stay put when the car is turned off, even through pre-heating, as long as you leave the lever in an on position. If you turn the wipers off before opening a door, they will park. They also go to park when you start the car.

A couple of heat traces would go a long way to solving this issue. My I-MiEV has no issues with this because the wipers park where the defroster heats the windshield, and pre-heating does a great job at clearing the windshield even with a couple inches of snow on it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
There needs to be defroster traces at the base of the windshield where the wipers park. The rear wiper has it, why not the front ones?
+1. It's ridiculous that we should resort to always leaving the wipers on to prevent freezing accumulation at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers park. It's ridiculous to resort to parking them up-swung in the hopes that 20-40mins of preconditioning will be enough to melt the wipers free while you scrap clean the wiper park area.

I looked at the view aftermarket solution but I'm not very handy to install them. They're also pretty expensive (I think $70/blade) when really GM should've just provided vents into the wiper park area or run a defroster trace below them.

·
Registered
392 Posts
+1. It's ridiculous that we should resort to always leaving the wipers on to prevent freezing accumulation at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers park. It's ridiculous to resort to parking them up-swung in the hopes that 20-40mins of preconditioning will be enough to melt the wipers free while you scrap clean the wiper park area.

I looked at the view aftermarket solution but I'm not very handy to install them. They're also pretty expensive (I think $70/blade) when really GM should've just provided vents into the wiper park area or run a defroster trace below them.
its even worse than this they stop working properly for many reasons. Here is one of my old videos

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I remember your video, ibboltin (thank you!). While researching, it appears some modern Fords have a heated windshield (dubbed "Quickclear"). It thaws out the entire windshield. Wonder why GM couldn't do the same? As far as I can tell from Youtube videos and images online, there appears to be no defroster lines/matrix running through the shield. Great tech, surprised GM couldn't come up with their own.

Have you considered bringing it up with your dealer as a dangerous design defect? Maybe GM can do an ECU update to have the wipers to park and not swing so low to the cold area below the windshield. This will affect aero but perhaps that's the price we have to pay. Or even better, GM can retrofit a professional looking heated wiper blade install that comes on with preconditioning. Still might not address your issue with freezing while driving, though.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I remember your video, ibboltin (thank you!). While researching, it appears some modern Fords have a heated windshield (dubbed "Quickclear"). It thaws out the entire windshield. Wonder why GM couldn't do the same? As far as I can tell from Youtube videos and images online, there appears to be no defroster lines/matrix running through the shield. Great tech, surprised GM couldn't come up with their own.

Have you considered bringing it up with your dealer as a dangerous design defect? Maybe GM can do an ECU update to have the wipers to park and not swing so low to the cold area below the windshield. This will affect aero but perhaps that's the price we have to pay. Or even better, GM can retrofit a professional looking heated wiper blade install that comes on with preconditioning. Still might not address your issue with freezing while driving, though.
I have brought it up several times with GM directly. It has been acknowledged. A fix might be more difficult for us current owners.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have been talking with http://crystalclearblades.com

Regarding getting a set made for the Bolts. I was told they are waiting for the mount adapters that attach the wiper to the arm which is different. I will be getting a set and hopefully be able to install and test in a snowstorm to provide a review of them. I will also be making a video of the install.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can just grab the wipers stand them up, the wipers do move independently they are not on a single transmission like wipers of older cars.

I don't park outside, I have a neighbor across the road from me that does, when he expects snow he pulls the wipers away from the windshield.

As long as you don't turn on the wipers, they can stay pulled away from the windshield, while the car warms up.

That makes cleaning the windshield easier with the wipers out of the way and not stuck to the glass.

Another handy way to keep the wipers from sticking, is using a plastic garbage bag, put the bag on the glass then put the wipers back down.

Pull the bag out from under the wipers before driving away.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You can just grab the wipers stand them up, the wipers do move independently they are not on a single transmission like wipers of older cars.

I don't park outside, I have a neighbor across the road from me that does, when he expects snow he pulls the wipers away from the windshield.

As long as you don't turn on the wipers, they can stay pulled away from the windshield, while the car warms up.

That makes cleaning the windshield easier with the wipers out of the way and not stuck to the glass.

Another handy way to keep the wipers from sticking, is using a plastic garbage bag, put the bag on the glass then put the wipers back down.

Pull the bag out from under the wipers before driving away.
Been there done that, none of that works when you are actually driving in a snowstorm. See my videos. Snow and ice damming and accumulation start then and water freezing on the wipers happens then, at then when you wipe it does not clear you cant see!. Nothing you do ahead of time prevents it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.