Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Premier and live in Massachusetts. My vehicle is up for inspection this month but a few weeks ago my windshield was hit and cracked by a stone kicked up by a car on the highway. Anyway, after some initial confusion with my glass place over Bolt vs. Volt (that’s another story), I’m told that windshields are currently unavailable. The glass place tells me this info comes from Chevy. Chevy could not give them a date as to when one would become available. This is not good news. The glass place suggests my only option for now is to get a copy of the order sent to Chevy and carry it with me to show as explanation as to why I’m driving a car with an expired inspection sticker. I could get it inspected, and rejected, but that only gives me a short period of time to get it replaced anyway.

Sheesh!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just a thought: rather than a "glass place" check with the dealership... they can replace it under insurance as well, and may have faster access to glass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I thought of that but it is so much more convenient to deal with my local glass shop than with a Chevy dealer that is at least a 1/2 hour drive away. The local shop could replace the glass in a few hours — assuming, of course, if they could get the product! The local shop is asking assurances that I won’t bolt (pun intended) to some other place after they have the order in with Chevy. I have given them that assurance, so I’ll just wait and take my chances.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Not Chevy related, but we had a similar issue last year with my wife's Jeep Renegade.
Got a rather large rick chip, that started spidering almost right away.
Took it to the glass shop, but for some reason, the glass was all on back order.

Took them 3 weeks for it to show up.

Probably the auto places trying to time their glass orders with some type of quantity for pricing or something like that..

desiv

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Try being a Model 3 owner with a problem requiring replacement parts!
I don't know, you might get faster service with Tesla due to bad PR when you complain on social media about wait times. Tesla needs to maintain their PR lead.

·
Registered
643 Posts
my Driver's side window glass was shattered in a parking lot incident while my family was at dinner - there is no non-OEM option - glass was ordered from Michigan - ground only - it took 14 days to get fixed.

So far my experience with getting Bolt parts is about the same as getting Tesla parts - there is no greater availability simply because it's a GM product - it's a low volume GM product with a poorly supported/trained dealer network that is only barely able to work out even the most basic service requests.

So far I've detected no great advantage of working with an established car maker.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
my Driver's side window glass was shattered in a parking lot incident while my family was at dinner - there is no non-OEM option - glass was ordered from Michigan - ground only - it took 14 days to get fixed.
I ordered one of the stock Michelin self-seal tires for use as a spare and it took 2 months to get delivered. Even "standard" Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires in the Bolt's size took a week.

Don't you just love being an early adopter?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just a thought: rather than a "glass place" check with the dealership... they can replace it under insurance as well, and may have faster access to glass.
I took mine to the Chevrolet Dealer for windshield replacement for that exact reason. They told me to call Safelight because that is what they do. Go figure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.