Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we're a few weeks into some cooler weather here in southern Ontario, what kind of mileage are you guys seeing?..... With the climate control set to 21 and making no effort to drive efficiently, I'm seeing between 21-24 kWh/100km.... Which extrapolates out to between 250km and 285km on a full charge (down to 0%). Not too impressive but not the end of the world either.

I have no intention on driving it like an old lady or being uncomfortably cold trying to extend my range. What are you guys seeing mileage wise?

·
Registered
293 Posts
To give you some perspective....

my 2013 LEAF with X-ICE3's and minimal cabin heating (15°C and minimal airflow) would get 2.5-3 miles/kWh when it was -10°C outside.

This converts to 21-24 kWh/100km.

So it sounds like the Bolt is more efficient, and you are turning the saved energy into cabin heat.

As always...check your tire inflation....low pressure kills efficiency.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have reported in another thread: at about 0°C (29 to 36F) we got about 3.2 mi/kWh. I am too lazy to convert it into kWh/100kM, but it's about 20% below the announced EPA range, and 36% below my usual "optimal weather" range on the same route.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have reported in another thread: at about 0°C (29 to 36F) we got about 3.2 mi/kWh. I am too lazy to convert it into kWh/100kM, but it's about 20% below the announced EPA range, and 36% below my usual "optimal weather" range on the same route.
I agree, I am seeing 3.4 m/kWh with similar outside temps. I have reported some actual numbers in another thread, "battery degradation in cold weather" including battery temperature, and so on. I believe it is simply that the heater uses more energy than the A/C, rather than a battery efficiency/temperature issue. If you look at the car's energy gauge, compared to your prior use of A/C the heater is using relatively more energy. My battery is charging at the same rate as it did before in kW/min, but it takes longer to charge, miles/min, because the heater used up the miles rather than the engine. If the battery is charging at the same rate, then its likely discharging at the same rate, as the battery temperature did not change much (2 C) during the example cold weather drive I give in the other thread.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I wonder if its possible to combine this thread with "battery degradation in cold weather", as they are essentially the same topic?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I believe it is simply that the heater uses more energy than the A/C, rather than a battery efficiency/temperature issue. If you look at the car's energy gauge, compared to your prior use of A/C the heater is using relatively more energy. .
I think there is a battery efficiency component to this as well.

I have never seen the "climate settings" higher than 12%; I don't know if the seat heating is reported in the climate settings or not? If yes, I don't think it would be higher than another 10% of the overall consumption. Which, in my case, leaves another 10-15% unaccounted for.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I think there is a battery efficiency component to this as well.

I have never seen the "climate settings" higher than 12%; I don't know if the seat heating is reported in the climate settings or not? If yes, I don't think it would be higher than another 10% of the overall consumption. Which, in my case, leaves another 10-15% unaccounted for.
I am not sure. I have the tools to obtain the numbers, so I can keep obtaining more data to be sure. However, I don't see the battery behaving differently. It is charging just the same. Its the output side that is changing. The car was reporting to me that more than 10% was being used on other things than driving. The difference between my usual m/kWh and the cold weather m/kWh was 3.4/4.0 or 15%. I will wait for colder temperatures, and more data, to see what is happening. My battery temperature only dropped a couple of degrees while I was driving, so I don't think it was the battery.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
With the climate control set to 21 and making no effort to drive efficiently, I'm seeing between 21-24 kWh/100km.... Which extrapolates out to between 250km and 285km on a full charge (down to 0%). Not too impressive but not the end of the world either.
That seems to be not too far from what I'm seeing in Vancouver. We haven't gotten much below freezing, but when I have the climate control set to around 20 degrees above the ambient temperature I'm getting anywhere from 19 to 26 kWh/100km, with most trips falling closer to about 22. I've found that preconditioning makes a fair difference since I'm comfortable turning down the temperature a couple of degrees once the interior surfaces of the car have warmed up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
OP, have you changed to winter tires yet? If so, are they low rolling resistance (like Nokians of XICE-3's) or not?

In my experience, snows can hit efficiency by 10%.

·
Registered
739 Posts
OP, have you changed to winter tires yet? If so, are they low rolling resistance (like Nokians of XICE-3's) or not? In my experience, snows can hit efficiency by 10%.
I have never had to use winter tires in Connecticut, mostly because the roads are cleared very quickly, even out in our rural area, and we usually only have 6-12" snow falls. 18" snowfalls come now and again, but I usually just stay home until the roads are clear. Hopefully, the Bolt EV is as good in winter as any other car - that is my unknown.

·
Registered
8 Posts
With the climate control set to 21 and making no effort to drive efficiently, I'm seeing between 21-24 kWh/100km.... Which extrapolates out to between 250km and 285km on a full charge (down to 0%). Not too impressive but not the end of the world either.

I have no intention on driving it like an old lady or being uncomfortably cold trying to extend my range. What are you guys seeing mileage wise?
I'm seeing about the same over last week cold weather. About 21 - 24 kWh/100km. Over the weekend with the temperature above zero, I drove with the climate control off, and was getting about 14.5kW/100km. That's a big difference. But if you have a charging station at home, then the range is not that important. I'm starting to just look at the battery level rather than the range now, like I would in my gas powered car.

One more thing, I turned the climate control on this morning, but turned the heat off and set it to 20C. It showed about 20km difference in range. Not sure if that would keep the cabinet warm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
BE Prepared to know your distance in travel This weekend I went a total of 150 miles and I only had 22 miles left by the end of the day. This included some heat(5%), some bad driving(I love SPORT / TORQUE) and some cold(we had snow)

This all equal to a safety for me at 75 miles one direction.

Learn your car as I plan to this winter. No one knows how weather will turn, but if we have a few below 0 days I will need to consider working from home.

STILL LOVE MY CAR - so far I have over 3150 miles and saved over 350 dollars in gas for my first 5 weeks in. how about them apples....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Last Friday was fairly cold here mid to low 20's F, and we dropped to 3.1mi/kWh on the 50 mile round trip on 80%@55mph rural highway 20%@25-45mph intra-urban commute cycle. It was 3.3mi/kWh on the way to work with the benefit of preconditioning and a warmish garage, but dropped to the lower average for the day after the return leg. Tires at 44psi cold, and cabin heat set to fan speed 1, 70 degrees F with defrost spurts as needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My wife is getting same in her Bolt. I don't do heat and still get 380-400. Southern Ontario:) I almost went for eGolf as my second EV but glad I didn't. They claim heater won't impact their 200km mileage much. Hard to believe now I see impact of -4 to 5 degrees. Bought my first in March 2017 and second last month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drove Mississauga-Hamilton-Mississauga last night. Temp around 0C and high-speed Friday night traffic on 407/403. I put Nokian WGR3 all-weather tires on the car moments after it rolled out of the lot last February, so expect lower mileage (about 10% from what I can tell) but will take that for less hassle. With plugged-in pre-conditioning, 2-up on the way and 3-up plus bags on the way back, full auto climate control and seat heat, I got 23.6W/100km. I'd estimate about 20% lower than 25C perfect driving weather. Acceptable for my travel model but everyone is different.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I had enough experience with my electric assist bikes, and talking to folks with EVs, to know what we were getting into with our Bolt. Here in central Virginia, I figured 250 miles max for six months of the year and 180 miles for the other six months. No surprises, so far. If we lived in the frozen north, we'd be driving a Prius C.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drove 131.2 miles yesterday in somewhat cold conditions. Outside temps were between 25-40 degrees F. Elevation change over the trip about 1800 ft down and up again as it was an out and back trip. I have Nokian Hakka 8 studded tires on the car. Around 80 of the miles were at 60-75mph, the rest slower in-town driving. The car sits outside, but I preconditioned before leaving while plugged in and used the heated wheel/seat most of the time, with occasonal climate control at 70 degrees F. The trip used 33.9kWh for an average of just about 3.9mi/kWh. I am very pleased with that.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
A few fresh data points: Saturday, Winchester VA via Ellicott City to Pikesville MD (a little less than 100 mi), then about 20 mi milling around in the area and back on Sunday, altogether 213 mi with 57.1 kWh used, yielding 3.73 mi/kWh. The temperature was typically 45-50F, the speed was half of the way 45 to 55 mph, and the other half - 65 to 70 mph.

With 2 adults and a rabbit :)

The cab heater was mostly off, and the seat heating always on

·
Registered
782 Posts
my limited experience with cold weather driving in my Tesla is you have to get down below 40 F - before you really start seeing dramatic battery consumption due to cold temps…I drove overnight to Vegas one post Christmas weekend 32-36F - it was an eye opening experience with the range drop - drove back and it was well over 50F and no problems

but that's just my experience.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now that we're a few weeks into some cooler weather here in southern Ontario, what kind of mileage are you guys seeing?..... With the climate control set to 21 and making no effort to drive efficiently, I'm seeing between 21-24 kWh/100km....
I drove 350 km within the last 24 hours at highway speeds in Southern Ontario (two return trips between Waterloo and Tillsonburg with a re-charge in between). I got 24 kW/100km during this period. Tires are Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 winter tires. These tires are safer than stock tires on slippery roads, but there is a noticeable efficiency trade-off.

Half of the 350 km occurred last night at 8˚C in the pouring rain with lights, wipers, and cabin heater running the whole time; the other half was today at 2˚C with a mix of clear weather, drizzle, wet snow, and snow. I had two passengers in the car both trips and had to run the heater nearly continuously. Whenever I turned it off the windows steamed up quickly. I noticed that using the front window defrost only would keep the windows clear, but the cabin would get too hot even though the setting was 20˚C. I suspect the defrost blows the hottest possible air regardless of the temperature setting. Running heat (not defrost) at 20˚C with the lowest fan setting kept the the cabin comfortable and the windows clear.

My summer full charge range (rolling on stock tires) is typically about 390 km in the city, whereas my recent cold weather experience in bad road conditions at highway speeds amounted to only about 250 km range. It's definitely something to keep in mind when planning longer winter trips. I suspect things will get even worse once the -10 and -15˚C days arrive.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts