Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have few questions for those of you who have to deal with that calamity (for cars at least) called "winter"... I'm not talking about winter in L.A., I'm talking about real winter with temperatures way below zero every day for 5 months, lots of snow, ice, salt and lots of rocks on the road that will ruin your car paint in the first winter, I'm talking about that type of winter.

Do you put TPMS sensors on your winter wheels ?

If I do not put TPMS sensors on my winter wheels, will it still be possible use the TCS/StabiliTrak button to deactivate it ? I'm asking it because on Honda CR-V it was not possible without TPMS sensors on wheels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
You can get a set of four TPMS sensors for $56 on ebay, search for "22854866".
The relearn tool is $24 on Amazon: "VXDAS EL-50448".

So for $75 you're all set!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The relearn tool is $24 on Amazon: "VXDAS EL-50448".

So for $75 you're all set!
Very intersting but as winter wheels/tires will be installed this week I unfortunatly do not have time to wait for ebay or amazon item delivery. Here we already have white $hit (snow) on the ground...

But for those who still have plenty of time before winter wheels/tires istallation this is quite valuable info.

As I'm missing time, my only two options are no TPMS or pay more than $200 for 4 TPMS sensors. That's is the reason why I'm asking the question about traction control.

·
Registered
592 Posts
In those conditions I'd be sorely tempted to have a butt ugly four wheel drive just for the winter and a Bolt for the summer. OTOH maybe the Bolt does brilliantly in winter weather like that - let us know.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hello! Do you put TPMS sensors on your winter wheels ? Thanks!
Yes, I like TPMS and always install them.

If I do not put TPMS sensors on my winter wheels, will it still be possible use the TCS/StabiliTrak button to deactivate it ? I'm asking it because on Honda CR-V it was not possible without TPMS sensors on wheels.
That's a new one on me. Wonder why/how the TCS interacts with the TPMS? Seems counterintuitive to deprive the owner of the TCS safety feature when the batteries of the TPMS die, as they inevitably will.
That P/N is coming up as obsolete/NLA in several sites. What has superseded it?

jack vines

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In those conditions I'd be sorely tempted to have a butt ugly four wheel drive just for the winter and a Bolt for the summer. OTOH maybe the Bolt does brilliantly in winter weather like that - let us know.

I guess you never looked at "my garage"... During summer I drive a BMW M2 and two motorcyles, my Bolt EV is my "all year long" utility vehicle.

I'm sure that the Bolt will be good during winter because yerterday I drove it in snow with four seasons tires and it was very acceptable. But as here in Quebec, winter tires are mandatory (by law) from December 15th to March 15th we must have snow tires and in order to keep the original wheels in perfect conditions it is preferable to have a winter set wheels.

About the TPMS sensors it is not really a money matter, I just don't want to have TPMS on all 8 wheels and have to have them programed by the dealer twice a year but I want to make sure that I will be able to deactivate the traction control when needed even if there is no TPMS sensors on the winter wheels (which was impossible in my previous car, Honda CR-V).

·
Registered
4,789 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does any one know if vw/audi TPMS sensors will work on the Bolt? I have a set in my hands and going to install them as a matter of "why not" ... but if I buy a relearn tool will they work?

can't figure out how to load a pic ... its a siemans model# S1222150001C
There are some other numbers if thats helpful

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I just got a pair of winter tires mounted on the original front wheels. I have a pair of wheels on order for the snows, but they're not here yet and I'll be taking a trip into the mountains where snow tires are mandatory, so I figured I'd mount the snows on the car now and then mount the summers that came off the car onto the wheels when they arrive. I also purchased TPMS valve stems for the wheels and so I'll be buying the TPMS relearn tool to use when I swap the tires back this spring.

I noticed that they somehow attached the balance weights for the new tires to the surface of the wheels between the spokes, but it's not obvious how they're fastened. Does anyone have any idea how that works?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Vermont and Sherbrooke may not be the right place for these but I mounted Nokian WRG3 all-weather tires on mine (Toronto) within minutes of leaving the dealership last February. Through the remains of last winter, this summer and fall, I've been happy. No hassles with TPMS, tire/wheel changes, storage, etc. Tread life will be lower, and mileage likely down 10% (I only put about 10km on the OEMs so no actual comparisons) but they work for me.

Most balance weights are stick-on now.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I also purchased TPMS valve stems for the wheels and so I'll be buying the TPMS relearn tool to use when I swap the tires back this spring.
Sorry, Sean. Not able to answer your question, but am interested to learn about TPMS sensors. I wanted to order a set of winter wheels (rims + tires) for my Ampera E from Opel, but they say it can take months before they can be delivered, apparently because of bad availability of the sensors. So, I was thinking about trying to get some TPMS sensors from another source and 'build' my own set of winter wheels.

Can you (or somebody else) tell me what kind of sensors to get? Are they working well?

And can you tell me a bit more about the "TPMS relearn tool"? I thought that (if you had compatible sensors) the car would learn about new sensors pretty much by itself?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The TPMS senors I used where the GM 13598772. You can find them from a wide variety of sources including Ebay and Amazon. Just search for GM 13598772. I've had no issues with these on my Winter Wheel setup.
Wheels- ALY5525U45 Chevrolet Sonic Wheel Black Painted #95937973- 16 X6
Tires - Michelin X Ice3's 205/60R16

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/12-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/18994-sonic-16-s-205-xice3-s-using-quick-jack.html

THE TPMS tool I use is a EL-50448. Again you can find on EBay, Amazon, ETC... just search for EL-50448. I use this tool both on my Bolt EV and GMC Seirra. Both require the relearn when swapping or rotating tires.

Rotation is driver front, passenger front, passenger rear and driver rear, then the horn should beep twice to confirm the reset is done.
Some times you need it really close to stem next to the tire on the tire read it. Once it does read the TPMS ( may take up to a minute) the horn should beep once and you move to the next tire.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Sorry, Sean. Not able to answer your question, but am interested to learn about TPMS sensors.
You can buy "generic" valve stem sensors that work with lots of different car manufacturers, but you they need an extra step to "program" them to work with the car you're using. This tells them whether to use the RF protocols and frequencies for Ford, GM, etc.

I just bought the GM part, which obviously doesn't require that step. They're from GM, they're built to work with GM products right out of the box.

No matter which valve stem sensors you buy, when they're installed in the wheels and you mount the wheels on the car you need to tell the car to "learn" which sensors are in which positions. You do that by buying a cheap tool (Google "TPMS Relearn GM") and holding it next to the valve stem at each wheel after you put the car into "TPMS Learning" mode. It's pretty straightforward.

Caveat emptor - I haven't actually had to do this myself yet, but I don't expect to have any problems when the time comes.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The TPMS senors I used where the GM 13598772. You can find them from a wide variety of sources including Ebay and Amazon. Just search for GM 13598772. I've had no issues with these on my Winter Wheel setup.
Wheels- ALY5525U45 Chevrolet Sonic Wheel Black Painted #95937973- 16 X6
Tires - Michelin X Ice3's 205/60R16
Hope that helps
Useful. As yesterday, I visited a local tire shop and they said they would have no issue providing me with a set of rims + tires + after market TPMS sensors. They said, they could "clone" the sensor IDs of the factory wheels to the after market sensors in the new winter wheels. This cloning happens wirelessly, so can even be done after installing the after market sensors in the new winter wheels. They just need about an our or so, after I have taken delivery of the car (early Januari).

So, I started Gooling for some nice rims and tires, and after a short search it appeared as if the specs of the rims are not very common in Europe (The Netherlands). Biggest problem to me is that most webshops over here do not (yet) list the Ampera E in their vehicle database. And when they do, they say they don't ave any rims for them, or they come up with rims with wrong bolt patterns (5x115 mm).

I know (or believe to know) I need to be looking for rims with a bolt pattern of 5x105 mm (strangely enough tirerack.com does not even list this particular pattern in their "inch to mm conversion table" at https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=92) and an offset of (close to) 44 mm. I am not sure about the centerbore though. Also I am not sure whether the wheels on a Bolt are hub-centric or lug-centric. Or does this depend on the actual rims rather than the car? So, any tips on which rims to buy (preferably rims that are available in Europe as well ;)) will be highly appreciated.

No matter which valve stem sensors you buy, when they're installed in the wheels and you mount the wheels on the car you need to tell the car to "learn" which sensors are in which positions. You do that by buying a cheap tool (Google "TPMS Relearn GM") ...
Thanks once more. Please see my comment in the other thread (http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-general-discussion-forum/20601-tpms-reset-3.html#post273537) regarding what I found in the owner manual, which suggests self learning capabilities that do not involve any tools.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It really depends on the rims you buy. The choices here in the States are limited as well for after market wheels as well. Some had Luck with 17x7 ( 431.8 x 177.8mm) and even 7.5''( 190mm) but a rim width any wider will most likely cause rubbing. Offsets of the wheel set can vary from 38-44 mm.

Bolt EV/ Ampre -e:
17 inches x 6.5J ( 431.8 x 165.1mm ) offset 44mm, Hub Center bore is 56.6mm - Lug pattern 5x105mm x m12 lug bolt thread size

The lug pattern & center bore are the same as the Cruze/ Sonic /Volt here in the States-- 5x105mm x m12 lug size and same rim center bore 56.6mm This makes it easy using OEM wheels from these cars.

You can also search for aftermarket wheels for the Cruze, Sonic, Volt and they should fit the Bolt- Ampre e -

Any aftermarket wheel would most likely need a center bore hub adapter to match the 56.6mm hub of the Bolt.

Here is an example of NY-Rob's aftermarket wheel setup - http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/12-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/16122-more-aftermarket-wheels.html

Also a large discussion on after market wheels- http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/12-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/3882-bolt-aftermarket-wheels-thread.html

·
Registered
390 Posts
It really depends on the rims you buy...
Many thanks, this helps a lot. As a matter of fact, I just found a website that has a 2D and a 3D configurator that actually features the Ampera-E, visual and all. The issue was: they listed the Ampera E as a 2018 Ampera. Go figure ...

But it is a great I can use your numbers to verify what they offer.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Many thanks, this helps a lot. As a matter of fact, I just found a website that has a 2D and a 3D configurator that actually features the Ampera-E, visual and all. The issue was: they listed the Ampera E as a 2018 Ampera. Go figure ...

But it is a great I can use your numbers to verify what they offer.
Do you mind sharing the link? I'm curious to see the 3D configurator.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Do you mind sharing the link? I'm curious to see the 3D configurator.
Sure, this is it. After going there, just give it a few seconds to load. No need to click on anything. The you will be able to select your vehicle. Make sure you select Opel -> Ampera -> Sedan -> latest model

Unfortunately, when I looked it up this morning, it did not work. Got some German "fehler" error.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sure, this is it. After going there, just give it a few seconds to load. No need to click on anything. The you will be able to select your vehicle. Make sure you select Opel -> Ampera -> Sedan -> latest model

Unfortunately, when I looked it up this morning, it did not work. Got some German "fehler" error.
Works now!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts