Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took an old towel to dry windshield. A loose thread pulled up on one wiper arm. Since only one armed moved I was like oh no, broke it.
Turns out it seems the arms must be independent motors. Or did I somehow get lucky it isn't damaged?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV
9,270 Posts
Turns out it seems the arms must be independent motors. Or did I somehow get lucky it isn't damaged?
Yeah, on the Gen 1 Bolt EV there are two independent motors, and they're direct-drive stepper motors. So you if you dislodge the wiper arm you can literally just grab it and move it back to its normal resting position.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had my i3 in theater parking lot while watching movie a few years ago. It had an ice storm and iced up the windshield. Too stinking cold and raining to completly de-ice. Thought the wipers would work but they tossed a code. Seemed like a good idea to have that stepper in to avoid damage.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yeah I found that out last winter when one wiper froze to the windshield and the other one was running, I had an “OH S**T” moment. Then I read where they worked independently. So after that before I would start the car I would make sure they both were free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts