Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Wireless Android Auto

14K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  bphudson13 
#1 ·
I recently found out Android 11 brings wireless android auto for phones like mine (S20 FE). Does anyone know if our Bolts are capable of taking advantage of this feature? I’d give it a go, however, I have T-Mobile and they have yet to release the update.

2020 Bolt

#3 ·
Your thoughts echo my fears. The lack of give a **** from GM with software updates is why the Bolt is the last nonTesla vehicle I’ll ever buy.
Before anyone attacks that statement...Yes, I’m aware Tesla doesn’t have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto support (Wireless or tethered).

#4 ·
It would be possible for GM to implement it in a software update (they won't).
I don't think the Bolt's infotainment system is designed to support wireless projection (i.e. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto) even if individual hardware components (e.g. Wi-Fi module) exist within that are prerequisite for such function. So I doubt it would be possible for such software update to be created even if GM was motivated.

#13 ·
I don't think the Bolt's infotainment system is designed to support wireless projection (i.e. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto) even if individual hardware components (e.g. Wi-Fi module) exist within that are prerequisite for such function.
Do you know of a specific architectural reason why not? The phone can already connect wirelessly to the infotainment system, which acts as an access point and router. Connectivity between the phone and infotainment system need only be switched from USB to Wi-Fi. It's a safe assumption the video is already compressed and the data requirements are tiny (2Mbps or less) compared to what Wi-Fi can do. All the camera data is compressed too; so the display/video processing bandwidth is clearly there. I think it's only a matter of software on both sides.

I want it so when I get in the car with my phone in my pocket, Navigation pops up.

#14 · (Edited)
Do you know of a specific architectural reason why not? The phone can already connect wirelessly to the infotainment system, which acts as an access point and router. Connectivity between the phone and infotainment system need only be switched from USB to Wi-Fi. It's a safe assumption the video is already compressed and the data requirements are tiny (2Mbps or less) compared to what Wi-Fi can do. All the camera data is compressed too; so the display/video processing bandwidth is clearly there. I think it's only a matter of software on both sides.

I want it so when I get in the car with my phone in my pocket, Navigation pops up.
There's this article.
Wireless CarPlay needs Bluetooth and in-vehicle Wi-Fi to work properly. But that’s not all. Your car actually also needs to have a dual-band router built-in to allow for CarPlay.
I haven't been able to find solid reference about Bolt EV's Wi-Fi hotspot feature being dual-band (2.4GHz + 5GHz) - only about 2.4GHz band. I have the Korean version of Bolt so the Wi-Fi & LTE feature is nonexistent and am not personally able to firmly verify that Wi-Fi in Bolt is 2.4GHz-only, but it seems plausible that this is the case for the ones that do have the functionality.

On the issue of a single-band 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, Apple's developer information about doing wireless CarPlay has this to say.
2.4 GHz Frequency Band
Not recommended for wireless CarPlay
Highly congested
(from page 209 of the presentation)

It seems that 2.4GHz band is only regarded as a fallback, so it would be unwise to build wireless CarPlay support on top of limited hardware. Obviously, Apple doesn't think the data & latency requirements are as lean as you think, and I tend to agree because for real-time screen projection you need low-compression, low-latency output. It's not the same as streaming Netflix of YouTube videos. In my experience with driving external PC monitors via USB, wired USB 2.0 connection barely make the cut at sub-720p resolutions and that provides 480Mbps max throughput. 2.4GHz Wi-Fi essentially tops out at 150Mbps in real life.

#7 ·
#10 ·
I know GM is moving in the direction of Tesla with OTA software updates. However, my issue is their complete disregard of the 2017-2021 Bolts. I would have no issue if GM said “the car is not capable of OTA updates.” From the beginning. However, they said it was. Now, here we are 4 years later with nothing but smoke filled assholes.
Hence, my statement for never purchasing another GM product. It’s Tesla from here on out for my family.

#18 ·
Yes, AA works wirelessly as does the charging in the EUV....can't comment on the 2020 though.
I discovered the older Bolts don't have built in NAV and so I was getting all sorts of funny responses to questions that I was asking.
I think the wireless thing is a recent addition as well.

#19 ·
I can confirm AAWireless works great in my 2019 Bolt with a Samsung Galaxy S10e phone on Android 12.
I ordered it back in November 2021 and just recently received it. Only "problem" is the Bolt's USB ports "wake up" quite frequently and with my Bolt parked in the garage, my phone tries to connect with the car several times a day. So for lack of a better solution, I keep the AAWireless disconnected from the USB port when I don't use the Bolt for several days (Covid).