Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for info, as this might be the wireless carplay adaptor, not the Bolt.

If I use my I phone to start the Bolt and pre heat if for my wife she has a terrible time getting the wireless adaptor to connect her phone to the infotainment system to use the maps, phone, etc. Usually required plugging her phone into one of the ports bottom center on the dash. Even though my phone stays with me at the house, the Bolt doesn't want to accept her phone and switch to it.

The other day, I walked by the kitchen table where her phone and purse were at and grabbed her phone to start the car and preheat it. When she went outside the car/infotainment system immediately connected to her I phone. No issues.

She mentioned that and we tested it when she got back and found out that fixed the issues. No idea why the system (aftermarket wireless car play adaptor/I phone/Bolt) locks onto the phone used to start it and won't switch to the phone in the car.

Don't know if anyone else has had similar issues or not.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
No idea why the system (aftermarket wireless car play adaptor/I phone/Bolt) locks onto the phone used to start it and won't switch to the phone in the car.
I always use two phones with my car. I keep an Android phone plugged in the car's USB 24/7. Android auto insists the phone plugged in has control of the Bluetooth. So if I need to make a phone call with my Microsoft phone through the car, I have to unplug the android phone so android auto can't take control of the Bluetooth. Then I have to manually tell the car which phone I want to use. I go to devices in the settings and switch which phone I want. If I don't plug in the Android phone, the car will continue to stay on the Microsoft phone. It usually stays on the Microsoft phone for many starts if I don't plug in the Android phone. So the car starts defaulting on its own which phone to use.

So my guess is, the car sees your phone first and then decides on its own that it is the default. But if your wife does plug in her phone, then CarPlay must be taking over. But the wireless setup isn't doing the same as actually plugging in for some reason. I'm also guessing that she could go into devices and tell the car to switch to her phone instead of plugging it in.

Hope I'm making sense and understand your issue.

·
Premium Member
2018 Bolt Premier
717 Posts
Totally different experience for me, my I-Phone will connect to my wife’s Android phone that is in the house and then connects to my I-Phone after I’m about a half block from my house and her phone.
We own a Jeep and we can select a favourite phone on the car’s INFO centre, handy but you have to change the favourite phone to connect if the favourite phone is in the vehicle.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always use two phones with my car. I keep an Android phone plugged in the car's USB 24/7. Android auto insists the phone plugged in has control of the Bluetooth. So if I need to make a phone call with my Microsoft phone through the car, I have to unplug the android phone so android auto can't take control of the Bluetooth. Then I have to manually tell the car which phone I want to use. I go to devices in the settings and switch which phone I want. If I don't plug in the Android phone, the car will continue to stay on the Microsoft phone. It usually stays on the Microsoft phone for many starts if I don't plug in the Android phone. So the car starts defaulting on its own which phone to use.

So my guess is, the car sees your phone first and then decides on its own that it is the default. But if your wife does plug in her phone, then CarPlay must be taking over. But the wireless setup isn't doing the same as actually plugging in for some reason. I'm also guessing that she could go into devices and tell the car to switch to her phone instead of plugging it in.

Hope I'm making sense and understand your issue.
Yes, if she plugs her phone it then it will switch to from my phone to her phone.

Just defeats the idea of "wireless" carplay. But, once you do plug it in and wait for it to switch to her phone then you can unplug the cable and it will stay on her phone.

And no, it will not switch phones from the touch screen. Not sure why it won't switch phones when you touch the button for that on the screen.

Easy to fix/take care of. Just seems odd to me that it won't do it with the buttons. Especially when she's well down the road and there's no way the car connect to my phone.

It's probably something wireless adaptor sending a signal to the car that is incorrect.

I just wondered if anyone else had similar issues. Still learning this car 7 or 8 months into ownership. I don't drive it as much as she does.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I use OttoCast wireless CP every day, and normally precondition my car using the key fob. I've never had an issue like you describe. It takes maybe 15secs for my phone to be "on line" with infotainment system after the car is started and the infotainment system boots up. I don't think I've had an issue with it more than a couple of times. It seems like the phone bluetooth will connect to the car first, then the Ottocast gets powered on and boots and then phone reconnects bluetooth to it. I find the process a bit odd, but then bluetooth always seem a bit, ah, flakey.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,376 Posts
I use OttoCast wireless CP every day, and normally precondition my car using the key fob. I've never had an issue like you describe. It takes maybe 15secs for my phone to be "on line" with infotainment system after the car is started and the infotainment system boots up. I don't think I've had an issue with it more than a couple of times. It seems like the phone bluetooth will connect to the car first, then the Ottocast gets powered on and boots and then phone reconnects bluetooth to it. I find the process a bit odd, but then bluetooth always seem a bit, ah, flakey.
I suspect that once the phone has completed the Bluetooth handshaking with the vehicle and the Ottocast device, it probably then begins communicating with the Ottocast device via WiFi. Bluetooth isn't capable of the data rates necessary to carry video.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts